Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am torn between speccing this or not. I am less concerned with the heads up display itself as with the change in appearance of the dashboard. i think that the heads up display makes the dash display look more substantial as without it the screen is backed by only a very thin support. On the other hand it does make the dash quite a lot higher.Any comments very wecome.
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I have the HUD and like the functionality. I know many voiced opinions that it “wrecked” the look of the instrument panel but it looks fine to me. You won’t notice the difference when you’re driving.

daned

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Mercedes AMG GTS Edition 1
Country flag
I chose to add the HUD as for me the functionality was way more important then the visual look of the dash, even though I agree the dash without the HUD looks much cleaner and modern. But it is each persons individual preference. Getting my car hopefully in next 4 weeks so will get a better idea as yet seen one locally with HUD.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I slightly prefer the look of the dash without.
My current daily driver has HUD as standard and it is pretty good but I don't think at the Porsche option price it is worth it, so haven't bothered in my order.

Reactions: B61

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I am torn between speccing this or not. I am less concerned with the heads up display itself as with the change in appearance of the dashboard. i think that the heads up display makes the dash display look more substantial as without it the screen is backed by only a very thin support. On the other hand it does make the dash quite a lot higher.Any comments very wecome.
So........the Taycan is my first really high tech car. Wife's car is a 2013 Mercedes and it has a little tech but not heads up display, lane assist, etc, etc. I read about heads up on various cars and decided that we would order the Taycan with heads up - and I am glad that I did. I like the display, and found out that when using the car's navigation it shows up on the heads up display as well. Quite cool. It may be me (I am only 5'6'') but when I sit in the car the curve of the steering wheel and the heads up hood almost match each other and frankly I don't even see the heads up hood as the steering wheel blocks it out. All in all I am more than satisfied with the entire thing - the windshield display as well as how well the heads up hood blends in the my line of sight. Just a happy guy that would purchase it all over again!

ericj320

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wonder how many who say they dislike the look of the dash have actually seen it in person vs pictures on this forum or other places on the internet. The vast majority of the pictures I’ve seen require a higher angle, much higher than eye level, to properly show the HUD shroud. That angle clearly distorts what you’d see from the actual drivers perspective. I agree though, whether you like the look is personal preference, but to say it destroys the dash is a bit dramatic. We optioned it as part of the tech package, but not specifically for the HUD, we knew we wanted the ACC and passenger display, once you have those two it’s a small addition to get the HUD and park assist.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Apparently the HUD is not particularly high resolution and a bit limited in what you can display on it (you can’t get Google maps navigation for example, only the built in sat nav). So at £1200 I divided against it. Not fussed about the dashboard appearance either way.

Jraeven

First Name
Joop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo (cab), Cayenne S, AMG GT-C, Audi R8
Country flag
It's a no brainer take the head up display. It is an great option specially with navigation. The looks, you do not see the differance sitting in the car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Skip it - I found it distracting and pointless given the already excellent digital displays in the main instrument binnacle.

Reactions: B61

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
Glad I selected the option. The dash itself looks just fine. Overall functionality works well even with polarized sunglasses.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
911s have no HUD at all. With reason. Sitting low, dashboard high, just in line with your view. It is simply not necessary.
Similar to Taycan. You have already 3-4 screens to watch.

/Personal HUD history/
1. BMW 530d GT 2010-2014
2. BMW 640d 2014-2017

Than 911 2017-2021. Not missed at all.

Last edited:

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
I optioned out of HUD. Primarily due to lack of functionality. The HUD is eons behind the new Mercedes HUD, which shows direction arrows on the actual street in 3D. Porches HUD lacks finesse and quality compared to premium brands. Had the HUD been as advanced and good as the new Mercedes, I would have optioned in, but this is more like a medium quality car HUD.
Sponsored