Heater broken. My turn.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I know there are a lot of posts on this subject but I still want to share my experience and how my dealer is going to take care of this.

Since yesterday evening my heater stopped working. Quick search on the forum showed there is no quick fix. Tried turning AC on en off, max cool max heat, reset pcm but didn’t work. Tried again this morning but no luck.

I had the update a couple of days ago. Primarily to fix a problem with the comfort closure of the doors. The update didn’t fix it however. Still have to go back for that probleem too.

We had some colder days last weeks and I know the heater worked then.

We are going skiing in 3 weeks. I hope they can fix it in time or give me a good replacement for the trip.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
First contact. Only sales available no maintenance. They will contact me on Monday.

Trogdors_Peasant

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2022 AMG SL63
Country flag
As a point of reference, our heater died Oct 28th

Nov 7 - dropped off at dealer
Nov 9 - diagnosed and parts ordered
Nov 18th - parts arrived
Nov 29th - repairs completed and picked up

Now there was the week of thanksgiving in there that impacted repair work after the part arrived, But it at least gives some data.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

Nov 18th - parts arrived

Now there was the week of thanksgiving in there that impacted repair work after the part arrived, But it at least gives some data.
Thanks!

Sand dancer

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 996 turbo S, Taycan Spt Tur due Jan '23
Country flag

Nov 18th - parts arrived

Very helpful - thanks for sharing. Did the dealer share the cause of the fault?

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
At the moment my 2022 - delivered 12 months ago - no hot air in cabin, precool/heat function not available with PCM message "precool/heat: system error". Will take to dealer next week.
P**s poor reliability.

Edited to add:
The precool/heat message appears when I go into PCM...AC....tab precool/heat. The line for precool/heat is OFF and to the right of that is "precool/heat: system error".
Also, when I connect the charging plug and use the charging display in the console, the precool/heat button is dark and depressing it gives PCM info: "function not available".

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry, I should have included that. The high voltage heater core failed.
Any indication as to the root cause of the failure? The part itself or something external to the part? Is the fix going to resolve the root cause or is it likely/possible heater failure will reoccur? Did replacing the heater core require replacing coolant?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
At the moment my 2022 - delivered 12 months ago - no hot air in cabin, precool/heat function not available with PCM message "precool/heat: system fault". Will take to dealer next week.
P**s poor reliability.
Same for me. 5 months old 2022. I didn’t get the message when trying to pre condition. Tried it and checked after 30 minutes but still cold.

And I also have the same feeling. Don’t know if I can still trust it for holiday trips. Would be really bad if this happened during the trip we are planning

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Same for me. 5 months old 2022. I didn’t get the message when trying to pre condition. Tried it and checked after 30 minutes but still cold.

And I also have the same feeling. Don’t know if I can still trust it for holiday trips. Would be really bad if this happened during the trip we are planning
The precool/heat message appears when I go into PCM...AC....tab precool/heat. The line for precool/heat is OFF and to the right of that is "precool/heat: system error".
Also, when I connect the charging plug and use the charging display in the console, the precool/heat button is dark and depressing it gives PCM info: "function not available".

From other posts with links about Taycan heating system details in forum, both cabin heat and precool/heat functions depend on the HV heater, which is a third "high-temperature" circuit.

Because the waste heat from the coolant returning from the motor/inverter cooling circuit is insufficient for rapid cabin heating and window defrosting, a third, high-temperature cooling circuit is used. This third system uses a small high-voltage electric heater grid to provide cabin heating and defrosting as necessary by circulating heated coolant through a heater core inside the HVAC box. The high-temperature coolant circuit is also used to “pre-condition” the battery pack for charging by heating it up to the optimum temperature for lithium-ion battery charging, which is about 86 degrees Fahrenheit.

from https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/269/articles/all-electric-taycan-tech

I'm hoping to find a 12volt car heater I can use to keep the windshield from fogging up on the trip to the dealer. Need to add that item to @daveo4EV 's Taycan roadwarrior kit.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

From other posts with links about Taycan heating system details in forum, both cabin heat and precool/heat functions depend on the HV heater, which is a third "high-temperature" circuit.

Because the waste heat from the coolant returning from the motor/inverter cooling circuit is insufficient for rapid cabin heating and window defrosting, a third, high-temperature cooling circuit is used. This third system uses a small high-voltage electric heater grid to provide cabin heating and defrosting as necessary by circulating heated coolant through a heater core inside the HVAC box. The high-temperature coolant circuit is also used to “pre-condition” the battery pack for charging by heating it up to the optimum temperature for lithium-ion battery charging, which is about 86 degrees Fahrenheit.

from https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/269/articles/all-electric-taycan-tech

I'm hoping to find a 12volt car heater I can use to keep the windshield from fogging up on the trip to the dealer. Need to add that item to @daveo4EV 's Taycan roadwarrior kit.
Just checked. I have the same message.

My car is parked inside. I think it might be ok to drive 30 km to Gent to the dealer. I don’t have much spare time however and certainly not during working hours. I hope they can pick it up at and leave me a decent replacement at home.

Porsche Taycan Heater broken. My turn. 338944EB-47FE-402B-9BC2-197CA5B80082

Sand dancer

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 996 turbo S, Taycan Spt Tur due Jan '23
Country flag
[/QUOTE]

Be really interested to hear about this. I had an old v70 Volvo a few years ago - a well insulated car. My heater matrix failed so I bought the best plug in 12v heater fan I could find. During winter with 2 people in the car it barley gave me a clear patch of window on the windscreen, never mind keeping the side windows.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Be really interested to hear about this. I had an old v70 Volvo a few years ago - a well insulated car. My heater matrix failed so I bought the best plug in 12v heater fan I could find. During winter with 2 people in the car it barley gave me a clear patch of window on the windscreen, never mind keeping the side windows.
[/QUOTE]
When mine packed up last spring, Porsche advised me to use their recovery service, since they considered it unsafe to drive with misted up windscreen. As a bonus a recovered car will also get a quicker response at the workshop, compared to book the car in yourself!

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
When mine packed up last spring, Porsche advised me to use their recovery service, since they considered it unsafe to drive with misted up windscreen. As a bonus a recovered car will also get a quicker response at the workshop, compared to book the car in yourself!
[/QUOTE]
I also think I will have them pick its up at home. It's a 35 minute drive on the highway. It's parked inside but I don't want to be stranded with fogged windows along the highway. It's around freezing temperatures and wet. I don't know how long it would take for the windows to get fogged if they are not when I leave.

And the quicker response is also welcome because I need it working in 3 weeks (or a good alternative). Did you get a loaner when they picked it up ?

Well actually I would like them to fix mine in time. I have 6,5 K winter wheels (Ok also useful in our current wetter at home but not sure if really necessary with winter getting less cold) and 600 euro snow chains (I have 5 unused pairs of pas cars, never used them but needed to drive in the alps).
Sponsored

Last edited: