Heater broken. My turn.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Without going through 12 pages of this thread, could someone help me answer my questions? My heater just kept blowing cold air this morning.

1) Can I still drive the car if the heater is broken? I'm not sure if the heater is required to warm the battery.

2) Is there a new improved heater that I should ask the dealer for? Or will they just replace with the same heater that may break down again?

3) I didn't see any warning messages. Is that normal? But I turned the heat up to 30 celsius and nothing.

I will call the dealer now.
Sponsored

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
Without going through 12 pages of this thread, could someone help me answer my questions? My heater just kept blowing cold air this morning.

1) Can I still drive the car if the heater is broken? I'm not sure if the heater is required to warm the battery.

2) Is there a new improved heater that I should ask the dealer for? Or will they just replace with the same heater that may break down again?

3) I didn't see any warning messages. Is that normal? But I turned the heat up to 30 celsius and nothing.

Sorry, mate. Pour yourself a glass or three and read the whole shebang !

ntmatter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2001 HMMWV M1123A2
Country flag

1) Yes, the A/C will work, and the defroster will work, but it will just blow cold air. No other impacts.
2) The replacement part is an improved part, they won't replace it with the old failure-prone part. This is the reason for the delays - they had to get this revised part into the supply chain.
3) If you schedule your heater to turn on it'll put a small error on the screen where you configure those profiles, but that's it.

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
1) Yes, the A/C will work, and the defroster will work, but it will just blow cold air. No other impacts.
2) The replacement part is an improved part, they won't replace it with the old failure-prone part. This is the reason for the delays - they had to get this revised part into the supply chain.
3) If you schedule your heater to turn on it'll put a small error on the screen where you configure those profiles, but that's it.
Interesting. My answers (based on my experience) would have been the opposite in all cases

1) The heater is also used for the battery, so will have an impact on more than just cabin heat
2) Porsche do not yet have an updated part. I had mine replaced 3 weeks ago and was told it would be back in for another replacement once the new part is available
3) I received no indication of failure and the SA confirmed that they can only tell by running a diagnostic.

Would welcome other responses since they are completely contrary

ntmatter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My advisor told me after the initial service appointment to diagnose that there were no other impacts, which I took to include things like the battery heater. They are definitely not replacing (according to them) with the original part and that the supply of improved parts is in fact going to existing cars rather than new ones on the production line since they are targeting the limited supply at known failed units. This buys them time to fix people with immediate problems at the cost of having to replace more of these in the future.

The error I got was exactly the same as that shown in the picture on this thread, "system fault" on the preheat profile screen: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/precool-heat-system-fault.9661/

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. Interesting.

I was told the exact opposite from the dealer Service Manager on both counts. Told me that the HV heater shares function between cabin and battery. Told me also that Porsche told him that all Taycan's will need to be back in for a further replacement.
I definitely did not see that error.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Interesting. My answers (based on my experience) would have been the opposite in all cases

1) The heater is also used for the battery, so will have an impact on more than just cabin heat
2) Porsche do not yet have an updated part. I had mine replaced 3 weeks ago and was told it would be back in for another replacement once the new part is available
3) I received no indication of failure and the SA confirmed that they can only tell by running a diagnostic.

Would welcome other responses since they are completely contrary
My experience:
1) correct no preconditioning the battery and slow DC charging.
2)mine was fixed with the updated part in December. New part number.
3)the broken heater is so common and specific that my dealer ordered the part after receiving my mail reporting the problem.

ntmatter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hadn't noticed a difference on charging but then I never use DC chargers.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My experience:
1) correct no preconditioning the battery and slow DC charging.
2)mine was fixed with the updated part in December. New part number.
3)the broken heater is so common and specific that my dealer ordered the part after receiving my mail reporting the problem.
This was almost exactly my experience. Emailed my SA on 1/2/23, and booked an appointment for 1/27/23 so I was sure to have a loaner. My SA ordered the part and it arrived roughly 1 week prior to the appointment, however, by then I felt it was better to have a loaner in case something else was wrong so I waited until 1/27. The repair went smoothly.

The use of the HV heater to precondition the HV battery shouldn't be overlooked. Regardless of whether you avail yourself of fast DC charging or not, the car has better range if the battery temperature is in the 75º-85ºF (24º-29ºC) range. This doesn't happen in the winter unless you have a working HV heater.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My advisor told me after the initial service appointment to diagnose that there were no other impacts, which I took to include things like the battery heater. They are definitely not replacing (according to them) with the original part and that the supply of improved parts is in fact going to existing cars rather than new ones on the production line since they are targeting the limited supply at known failed units. This buys them time to fix people with immediate problems at the cost of having to replace more of these in the future.

The error I got was exactly the same as that shown in the picture on this thread, "system fault" on the preheat profile screen: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/precool-heat-system-fault.9661/
Can't Porsche remotely diagnose the car? It is connected 24/7 talking to their servers. I've had Tesla remotely diagnose and on a couple of occasions remotely fix the issues as far back as 10 years ago. It would be so much more efficient - customer calls with no heater, they log in, check logs, order part.

ntmatter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can't Porsche remotely diagnose the car? It is connected 24/7 talking to their servers. I've had Tesla remotely diagnose and on a couple of occasions remotely fix the issues as far back as 10 years ago. It would be so much more efficient - customer calls with no heater, they log in, check logs, order part.
You'd think, I guess, but no. I came in with the car and told them exactly what was going on, it's a super common problem, and they were aware of it. Set a service appointment and then after some time (too long), they said, "yep, it's the heater thing just like we thought, there's a waitlist on parts and you're currently #5 so let's have you come back in 4 weeks". It feels like this could be something that doesn't require three separate trips to the dealership to address.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
My heater has packed up too, noticed it today. I wondered why my fingers were a bit chilly…
No warning from pre-heat on app.
PCM show “system error” in the heating screen.

Waiting for dealer to call me back, they are experiencing unusually high phone calls!

Edit: 4S saloon. March ‘21 delivery so Jan 21(?) manufacture

Last edited:

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
might be helpful (although, at this point... just grin and take it i suppose..) if people also noted their model and production month when posting about a failure, for tracking purposes--as i know at least a couple kind (and ocd) souls on this board are maintaining failure mode db's..... just a thought.

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
Car returned in perfect order and thank you to Porsche South Lakes in Cumbria - they came to collect and delivered the car back as requested. Serviced at the same time for £550.00

GoDucksYellO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, Silverado 2500HD
Country flag
My heater died last night so add me to the list. Called the dealer and I was told they have over a dozen of them sitting waiting for parts at the dealer today. They said expect it to take months to be repaired but they will provide me a loaner for however long it takes. They can't order the part until they complete the diagnosis. First appointment was next week to get it looked at and once that step is completed, they can order the part.
Sponsored