DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So I'm working my way back home from my road trip, and I'm charging fairly late at night when a guy running the street sweeper in the Sam's Club parking lot pulled up.

"If that thing took gas you'd be done already!"

I was on a short charge hop so I countered that I was almost done and had only been here 6 minutes.
He then pivoted to his next anti-EV talking point.

"Better hope that thing doesn't catch on fire!"

At this point I realize he was just one of those Facebook trolls in real life, so I asked if he just hated EVs, and he agreed that he did.

"I just don't like what they're doin, jackin up the gas prices to try and force people into EVs."

I disengaged at that point because there was no point trying to talk to someone this ignorant.
Sponsored

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Unfortunately are just misinformed people out there that love giving people a hard time. You made the right move by disengaging. There was no way you'd "win" in that situation. He's probably just jealous you have a Porsche at the end of the day.:giggle:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So I'm working my way back home from my road trip, and I'm charging fairly late at night when a guy running the street sweeper in the Sam's Club parking lot pulled up.

I was on a short charge hop so I countered that I was almost done and had only been here 6 minutes.

At this point I realize he was just one of those Facebook trolls in real life, so I asked if he just hated EVs, and he agreed that he did.

"I just don't like what they're doin, jackin up the gas prices to try and force people into EVs."

I disengaged at that point because there was no point trying to talk to someone this ignorant.
I bet his son had the Mach E you encountered yesterday 🤣

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
This is really important.....

I think the EV industry needs to be more collectively-effective at raising the public's awareness and understanding about the relationship between EV, ICE and fuel and the economy/jobs. Most mainstream EV actors have feet in all camps and are gearing up for the transition. So it suits their business model(s) to get this right.

Messages about saving the planet etc (whilst very important) will not reach or take root in a large section of the public. The message needs to be more tailored to this section's present knowledge-base and things that affect them directly. It also needs to be focused on debunking common misconceptions - and if necessary, making it uncool to be ignorant in this area etc....

Other industries have faced this kind of public distrust/fake-news in the past - and eventually they get their act together, but often not until a heavy weight mass of misinformation has been allowed to take root - and it takes years to recapture the lost ground while they dither or try to act alone.

Of course there will be a small minority who will never change their opinion in the face of clear facts - but we can (and do) live with that.

EV Manufacturers need to get together and act on this ASAP - the messages need to be simple and coherent.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

The smart thing is to disengage like you did.

As Mark Twain once said....
'never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience'

That said, when I run into any (usually passive aggressive) comments about electric cars, I usually just say 'you obviously know a lot about them, tell me more - as its interesting learning all about them from someone who hasn't got one'.

Or 'absolutely fascinating.....so who told you these pearls of wisdom.... a man in the pub?
Cause amazingly it's complete bollocks'

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I’m sure that oil companies are not helping this. There were grumblings about the Shell garage near me being replaced by a Shell EV recharge only garage (not many of those around..) but people got used to it and it promoted sales.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Interestingly the only similar experience I've ever had like this has been with Tesla owners charging alongside me. So less anti-EV and more – not sure what it is – I guess – pro Tesla positions.

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
I think the appropriate level of engagement was to point back down the street and tell him he missed a bit. In Ireland we call this sort of thing "begrudgery" and its a national pastime. Another good passive agressive line is "EV;s are complex machines and not for everyone"

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag

My Nana use to say "you can't educate pork". Don't argue with stupid!

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Probably my favorite part of the whole thing. "They" almost certainly refers to someone that has little/no control over gas prices.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
You were in Amarillo, TX - that kind of ignorance is to be expected. I have experienced similar encounters in Grand Junction, CO and in Cedar City, UT. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory when the Electrify America charging locations in out of the way rural areas are located in a Walmart or Sam's Club parking lot. Just not a lot of people who understand anything beyond the garbage presented to them on Fox News.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag

Heavy sigh..................................... I have a fried that recently said that EV production should be halted until the grid is built up, otherwise we will all be out of electricity..................... I responded by saying, 'Sometimes you do have to put the cart before the horse'. Yes, yes, we have all heard that 'the grid' is having a difficult time keeping up with the current heat wave, and here in Texas we had our own set of special problems a few winters ago. Sometimes it does take difficult events like a grid failure for the power companies and the regulators/legislators to wake up/face up to the increase in demand that is not going to go away.
Sponsored