Helium for the batteries to improve range?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tomorrow morning I am going for my monthly air replacement in my tires (Apparently EVs heat the air a lot and there is a lot of static electricity, so my wheel guy recommends changing the air monthly to get fresh air in. Only $30/tire).

He has a new service ($60/tire) to replace the air with a mix of helium and air in order to lighten up the car (these EVs are heavy!) which will of course improve the range. I was thinking of doing this (Yolo!) and was wondering if anyone here tried this or if there is any Porsche-branded air I could use instead (I know that may cost more, but I appreciate better quality).

Thanks for your ideas!
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Tomorrow morning I am going for my monthly air replacement in my tires (Apparently EVs heat the air a lot and there is a lot of static electricity, so my wheel guy recommends changing the air monthly to get fresh air in. Only $30/tire).

He has a new service ($60/tire) to replace the air with a mix of helium and air in order to lighten up the car (these EVs are heavy!) which will of course improve the range. I was thinking of doing this (Yolo!) and was wondering if anyone here tried this or if there is any Porsche-branded air I could use instead (I know that may cost more, but I appreciate better quality).

Thanks for your ideas!
I think your full of hot air! ?

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
All jokes aside, filling your tyres up with Nitrogen helps.
https://www.merityre.co.uk/tyres/nitrogen-tyres

Many motorists choose to fill their tyres with nitrogen rather than compressed air as it will maintain tyre pressure for longer, enhance fuel efficiency and reduces the risk of corrosion to the wheel or TPMS equipment.

Aircraft and racing cars have been using purified nitrogen to inflate tyres instead of compressed air for a long time as tyre pressure is reduced at a much slower rate, enabling better road holding and enhanced gripping capabilities.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Wouldn’t it be better to do this in the cabin since there’s more volume? I’m going full helium in my cabin.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you fill the battery park with Hydrogen it's also a fuel cell - Porsche is hedging their bets - one OTA update and the Taycan is a fuel cell vehicle - they replace the passenger side charge port with a hydrogen fill hook up (you won't need fast DC charging)… and voila one Hydrogen powered vehicle!

clever clever germans (also fuel fill up is traditionally on the passenger side, so the duel charge ports have always made sense to me once you're briefed on this plan).

Reactions: Reg