Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
I have been going back and forth on this decision for several weeks....... order a 2022 4S in the exact colors I want (albeit light on a few specs) vs a demo 2020 Turbo.
The Details.

I have found a demo 2020 Turbo Black/Slate Grey. Has performance package, premium pack, mission E wheels, and sports design. MSRP is $179k and I can get 15% off which brings it down to $152....a pretty good deal. Some of the problems... It is missing the Bose audio which does concern me since I hear the base audio is horrible. Also, I would prefer a more unique color other than black, maybe Gentian blue or Ice Grey, but I do not dislike black. Also, I would love a two-tone interior (preferably Black/chalk). The slate grey interior seems so monotone.

Option 2 would be order a 4S. I would get the exact color and interior that I want. Would not spec the sports design and PDCC to save some $$$.

I would end up buying the turbo (lease numbers they offered were horrible) and probably lease the 4S. I have some reservations about holding the bag on a gen 1 EV so I probably prefer to lease. Monthly payment wise they end up being very similar.

I have test driven both and find the 4S pretty fast, but the turbo is FAST. I guess I comes down to more power vs aesthetics.

Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been going back and forth on this decision for several weeks....... order a 2022 4S in the exact colors I want (albeit light on a few specs) vs a demo 2020 Turbo.
The Details.

I have found a demo 2020 Turbo Black/Slate Grey. Has performance package, premium pack, mission E wheels, and sports design. MSRP is $179k and I can get 15% off which brings it down to $152....a pretty good deal. Some of the problems... It is missing the Bose audio which does concern me since I hear the base audio is horrible. Also, I would prefer a more unique color other than black, maybe Gentian blue or Ice Grey, but I do not dislike black. Also, I would love a two-tone interior (preferably Black/chalk). The slate grey interior seems so monotone.

Option 2 would be order a 4S. I would get the exact color and interior that I want. Would not spec the sports design and PDCC to save some $$$.

I would end up buying the turbo (lease numbers they offered were horrible) and probably lease the 4S. I have some reservations about holding the bag on a gen 1 EV so I probably prefer to lease. Monthly payment wise they end up being very similar.

I have test driven both and find the 4S pretty fast, but the turbo is FAST. I guess I comes down to more power vs aesthetics.

Any input is appreciated!
You could ask a local car audio firm for quotes to upgrade the speakers and amp. Can’t imagine it would be more than 2-3k for a pretty decent upgrade.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
1. If the Turbo is new, I think the price is ok. Around here a lot of Turbos and executive demo or launch vehicle cars are being bought at around that price, so while you can keep negotiating and waiting, but they’ll probably sell to someone else.
2. I get the sense that you’d probably always wonder about the Turbo if you went 4S. I know a few 4S owners going through this now and trading up. For that reason alone I’d suggest the Turbo.

Snappy77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
New and the aesthetics you want. Either way, it's a boat load of money - shouldn't you get one of the colors you want? I will hazard a guess the 4S is plenty fast enough for whatever you have in mind for daily life.

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
It is “new”. Only 200 miles.
1. If the Turbo is new, I think the price is ok. Around here a lot of Turbos and executive demo or launch vehicle cars are being bought at around that price, so while you can keep negotiating and waiting, but they’ll probably sell to someone else.
2. I get the sense that you’d probably always wonder about the Turbo if you went 4S. I know a few 4S owners going through this now and trading up. For that reason alone I’d suggest the Turbo.
It is "new" only 200 miles.

I worry about this too.....especially coming out of an AMG e63s. I think most cars will feel "slow"

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
That's a tough one. On the one hand, if you're paying $200K for a car all-in, you should get EXACTLY what you want. That is my thinking.

However, I agree with the sentiment that if you get the 4S you'll always wonder about the power. The Turbo is insane - in the best way possible. I would make my decision on what gives you the most enjoyment, the performance/acceleration of the car, or the features. I do agree that you can easily upgrade the stereo for a few $K, and that would be very important to me. Maybe you can negotiate that much of the price off?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think the Bose is standard on Turbo with Premium package. It is easy to verify in person.

15% is not a good discount for a 2020 model. I would try at least 20%

Go for the Turbo if you want performance. I have a 4S and to be honest it doesn't feel that fast. It is a matter of perception based on what else you drive(d). I find the initial throttle response is not as fast as Teslas and only marginally better that than 3.0L turbo ICE cars at the $50-80k range (like macan gts, m340i, c63 etc). Once you are on throttle then yes it picks up the pace very fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
I dont think it was in 2020
actually, I think you are right. Bose was standard on the Turbo. I stand corrected.

I guess it comes down to what % discount + the extra power > perfect color choices.....

should I shoot for 20%?

Reactions: cfp

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
actually, I think you are right. Bose was standard on the Turbo. I stand corrected.

I guess it comes down to what % discount + the extra power > perfect color choices.....

should I shoot for 20%?
And you can always wrap the car to whatever you like!

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
Go for the Turbo every day of the week if you ask me… no one (except you) will know it’s a 2020 and I would get bored with the 4S quickly after the monster E63.

Turbo and never look back! Black in my view is still stunning with the Mission E’s.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Having made the mistake of taking a deal off a lot instead of ordering what I wanted on my first R8, I'd suggest ordering what you really want if you have any preference at all. Like others said though, the Turbo is a lot of fun, and comes with lots of stuff standard that is optional in the 4S.

If you look on Autotrader, there's probably lots of leftover 2021 cars on lots and 2020s. Just set the search to everywhere, and then look around.
Sponsored