Help Choosing between 2022 4S and 2020 Turbo

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
Having made the mistake of taking a deal off a lot instead of ordering what I wanted on my first R8, I'd suggest ordering what you really want if you have any preference at all. Like others said though, the Turbo is a lot of fun, and comes with lots of stuff standard that is optional in the 4S.

If you look on Autotrader, there's probably lots of leftover 2021 cars on lots and 2020s. Just set the search to everywhere, and then look around.
I have a 2020 Turbo S and there is a tremendous satisfaction knowing I have something special. I think the color of the Turbo you're describing will look just great and if you get the 4S you will crane your neck to spot every Turbo that passes you or parks near you, knowing you fell short of what Porsche can deliver.

The 4S is a compromise vehicle. Step up. The 2020 with 200 miles is virtually a brand new car, and the difference between it and a 2021 is virtually non-existent.

When I roll by a 4S I know I could never live with the situation being reversed. You'll never feel you settled for less if you're driving that Turbo, but you'll spend every day wondering why you settled for a 4S based on the AMG you just left.
Sponsored

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Gunner, I'm curious what you decided to do. I'm in the exact same boat about a month later.

Plenty of 2020 Turbo demo cars are around still, and I'm hearing people are negotiating big discounts. One person I know purchased for 20% off MSRP, it was untitled so he got the tax rebate, and the dealer added CPO so he got 2 extra years of warranty. Almost 6 years of warranty coverage for car with only 400 miles on it.

With custom builds being delayed till next year, it seems like a great alternative.

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
Gunner, I'm curious what you decided to do. I'm in the exact same boat about a month later.

Plenty of 2020 Turbo demo cars are around still, and I'm hearing people are negotiating big discounts. One person I know purchased for 20% off MSRP, it was untitled so he got the tax rebate, and the dealer added CPO so he got 2 extra years of warranty. Almost 6 years of warranty coverage for car with only 400 miles on it.

With custom builds being delayed till next year, it seems like a great alternative.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with many of the posts here:
1. if price is an issue...you know what you need to do to fit your budget, your decision may be made up for you at this point.
2. on the 4s vs Turbo, I can tell you right now that when I get my next Taycan (which I will be doing as soon as they release the next generation....don't think I am going to switch brands/models after owning one.....that said, there is a LOT of new competition that will be out in 3 years), I will be going with the Turbo next time. I am already wanting more power, but rarely use 'launch control' and think the Turbo is the sweet spot right now. Even if the GTS comes out, I think it will be great for the cosmetic components that we all admire, but at this point I need the power of the Turbo for my next vehicle.

When test driving them, I also said; "the 4s is plenty fast, why would I need more". I can say in real-world, daily driving it is no longer plenty fast and I do need more :cool:

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I agree with many of the posts here:
1. if price is an issue...you know what you need to do to fit your budget, your decision may be made up for you at this point.
2. on the 4s vs Turbo, I can tell you right now that when I get my next Taycan (which I will be doing as soon as they release the next generation....don't think I am going to switch brands/models after owning one.....that said, there is a LOT of new competition that will be out in 3 years), I will be going with the Turbo next time. I am already wanting more power, but rarely use 'launch control' and think the Turbo is the sweet spot right now. Even if the GTS comes out, I think it will be great for the cosmetic components that we all admire, but at this point I need the power of the Turbo for my next vehicle.

When test driving them, I also said; "the 4s is plenty fast, why would I need more". I can say in real-world, daily driving it is no longer plenty fast and I do need more :cool:
Lol. That's how I felt with my Panamera 4S that I had before the Taycan and was one of the reasons I went for the Turbo. The Panamera was 0-60 3.7s, "why do you even need a Turbo" I was asked (this before the GTS version).

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
I ended up going with the turbo. The biggest driver for me was timeline. With a lease ending early December, I felt very uncomfortable with a late November delivery especially with all the news of delays and chips shortages. On top of that, I could get out of my lease right now for even money selling the car to carmax. That also saves me the hassle of fixing curbed rims for lease return and my front brakes were a mm or two away from needing to be replaced. I was happy to get out of the lease now and save myself the hassle of repairs.

I was able to get 18% off msrp. We had negotiated 15% and the dealership jerked me around. I threatened to walk unless they gave me 18% for my troubles and they obliged. I had a backup car negotiates at 13% but with a lower MSRP that came in a few grand cheaper. I did not get CPO. Didn’t even think about it but for me it’s not a big deal as I probably won’t keep the car more than a few years.

I just got my car and have only driven it only a few days. All I can say is WOW!!! This car is amazing. So fast And handles amazing. So flat through corners and turns. So different than my AMG but still probably overall better. I definitely miss the growl of the AMG but this car is so much better and comfortable overall. I know I made comments earlier about usable power etc in a daily driver…..BUT….. the power in the turbo is amazing. No one needs a turbo, but you NEED a turbo. It’s so worth it and I’m glad I got it. I know a 4s is plenty fast but I know I probably would have wanted more. All of this is based on daily driving not launch control.

However, I do get jealous every time I see a cool color car out there. I would love ice grey or gentian metallic. Jet black is great but boring. My interior is slate grey. I would love a two tone black/chalk or black/bourdoux.
Black on grey is probably good for resale but very boring. Not what I would have custom ordered.

Given my situation, this car was the right decision. Amazing car and great “value”. I tend to change my cats often so with the the discount, this will be a great place holder until the itch hits again.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I ended up going with the turbo. The biggest driver for me was timeline. With a lease ending early December, I felt very uncomfortable with a late November delivery especially with all the news of delays and chips shortages. On top of that, I could get out of my lease right now for even money selling the car to carmax. That also saves me the hassle of fixing curbed rims for lease return and my front brakes were a mm or two away from needing to be replaced. I was happy to get out of the lease now and save myself the hassle of repairs.

I was able to get 18% off msrp. We had negotiated 15% and the dealership jerked me around. I threatened to walk unless they gave me 18% for my troubles and they obliged. I had a backup car negotiates at 13% but with a lower MSRP that came in a few grand cheaper. I did not get CPO. Didn’t even think about it but for me it’s not a big deal as I probably won’t keep the car more than a few years.

I just got my car and have only driven it only a few days. All I can say is WOW!!! This car is amazing. So fast And handles amazing. So flat through corners and turns. So different than my AMG but still probably overall better. I definitely miss the growl of the AMG but this car is so much better and comfortable overall. I know I made comments earlier about usable power etc in a daily driver…..BUT….. the power in the turbo is amazing. No one needs a turbo, but you NEED a turbo. It’s so worth it and I’m glad I got it. I know a 4s is plenty fast but I know I probably would have wanted more. All of this is based on daily driving not launch control.

However, I do get jealous every time I see a cool color car out there. I would love ice grey or gentian metallic. Jet black is great but boring. My interior is slate grey. I would love a two tone black/chalk or black/bourdoux.
Black on grey is probably good for resale but very boring. Not what I would have custom ordered.

Given my situation, this car was the right decision. Amazing car and great “value”. I tend to change my cats often so with the the discount, this will be a great place holder until the itch hits again.
The 4S is very fast, but when launching it's mind numbing.
With the Turbo you get that mind numbing, overboost speed all the time, even when rolling at 50mph and mashing the throttle

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
The 4S is very fast, but when launching it's mind numbing.
With the Turbo you get that mind numbing, overboost speed all the time, even when rolling at 50mph and mashing the throttle
Very well put and accurate description.

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag

what was the msrp of the car and what did u end up paying for it?

did u get the $7500 ev credit also any extended warranty?

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
what was the msrp of the car and what did u end up paying for it?

did u get the $7500 ev credit also any extended warranty?
$179 msrp, paid $146k roughly. Warranty was punched in May, no extended warranty. Still get the tax credit.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
$179 msrp, paid $146k roughly. Warranty was punched in May, no extended warranty. Still get the tax credit.
Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, and most notably you're enjoying the car. Definitely makes sense to roll with it for a couple years and then custom build a new one with exactly what you want. You'll learn all the quirks of the car this way.

The dealers are definitely playing hardball with the demo pricing even though practically all of them are trying to unload 2020 Turbos right now. Nobody seems to have negotiated away more than $35K from MSRP, so there maybe a magic number there in terms of dealer incentives. You did pretty well coming close to it.
Sponsored