First Name
Charlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 911 Carrera S Cabriolet
Country flag
I recently joined this forum and would love you opinions

I’ve been a happy Porsche driver for 15 years. First a Boxster S convertible and currently a 991S Carrera Cabriolet manual.

I‘ve gotten great joy from my 911. I love driving with the top down, zipping along the winding backroads near my house, running the car through its gears with the 7 speed stick. But it might be time to move on.

my wife has been grumbling. the 911 can’t comfortably seat four adults, the ride is rough for passengers, the cabin is noisy, I can’t safely drive the rear wheel drive 911 in inclement weather, and she hates driving a stick so has literally driven my car once in 7 years. Our youngest has taken our third car out to San Fran, and my wife is tired of my always using her Volvo XC90 and wants me to get a different car that would be a bit more practical.

Wife likes the Taycan. She like the ride, and says she would be happy to drive it (as apposed to the 911), and likes the fact that it would be new and near maintenance free

But I love my 911 and am still waffling about making the move to a Taycan.

So the Pros for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan are:

1- my wife hates driving a stick and would happily drive the Taycan
2- the ride is rough in the 911 and quite a bit more comfortable in the Taycan
3- my wife dislikes the noisiness of the 911 and would much prefer the more quiet Taycan
4- as a 4 seater automatic the Taycan is more practical. I can fit 4 adults in it and my adult children can drive it when home.
4- we like the idea of moving to the future and the high tech that EV's have to offer
5- less maintenance and no gas bill

The Cons for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan

1- My 911 is a stick and oh so fun to drive
2-my 911 is a convertible
3-my 911 is a 991.1 so is likely to become a more desirable collectible car
4- the car is already depreciated
5- EV's are still newer technology and Porsche is still new to the game- concern about bugginess

So help me to decide!

Cheers!!
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
one car (the 911S Cab) is a sports car…the other (Taycan 4S) is a sports sedan - they are not the same thing

one is small, fast, light, nimble and the epitome of it's genre (a sports car) - and a convertible to boot - which is an even narrower specialization in the sports car genre…

the other is a big, sleek, fast, nimble enough and the epitome of what an excellent sports sedan can be and delivers on the promise of instant EV torque and smooth and ample power with handling and traction that few if any sports sedans can even dream about.

but swapping one for the other is like saying convince me to switch from downhill skiing to cross country skiing with no regrets…they are not the same thing - they are both great, but not the same thing.

they are both excellent examples of their respective genre's that happen to be made by the same company - but the Taycan is not a 911 and never will be.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Nope. Buy a Taycan in addition to the 911, don't get rid of it for one.
This is the right advice assuming you can pull it off.

My wife LOVES our Taycan. She grumbles whenever she has to drive any other car. I love it too but I’d also love to have an awesome convertible with a stick shift.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
I've the same background than you. Started with a Boxster S, then switched to 911 and ended with a 911 4S Cabriolet manual ;)

As everybody said a Taycan will never be a 911. However, compare to all the other vehicule that i had (Cayennes, X5, Tesla etc...) the Taycan is still the closest a sedan can be to a 911.

So the Pros of switching from a 911 to a Taycan are:

1 - your wife will be happy (but consider taking rear wheel steering as it's a really a big car)
2 - The ride is indeed a lot more confortable.
3 - The driving position of the Taycan is very close to the 911. It was the first thing i noticed when i sat on one.
4 - the Taycan is a lot more practical. I can fit 4 adults and you can even have luggages.
5- Performance wise, the Taycan is really a high performance sedan and the EV torque is addicting.
6- The Taycan is a great roadtrip car.
7- less maintenance and no gas bill

1- My 911 is a stick and oh so fun to drive. The Taycan will never be as engaging as a manual 911. It's fun (for a sedan) but not as fun.
2-my 911 is a convertible. Taking the glass roof helps but it's not a convertible
3-my 911 is a 991.1 so is likely to become a more desirable collectible car- for sure the 911.1 is a better collectible.
4- EV's are still newer technology and Porsche is still new to the game- concern about bugginess. There's bugs, usually not too harmful too.

Will you miss the 911? Yes i think so. I do miss mine from time to time

To be honest, if you have to change your 911 and get just one car, the Taycan is a good choice as it ll be the closest 4 door alternative to a 911 and it's a great car.

If you can keep the 911, keep it and add a second car (a Taycan or even the EV Macan are great options.)

PS: if only i had more space in my garage i would have kept the 911 :crying:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EV macan or even existing Cayenne eHybrid may be a great way to go for the wife...but the Taycan is the best sports sedan on the market - and also happens to be an EV…

911's are special - they are in a class by them selves - if anything could've replaced them Porsche would long be out of business.

but the Taycan is excellent in it's own space.

Reactions: B61

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
I would definitely agree with the responses. I have a 2020 Taycan Turbo and a 2014 911 S. The Taycan is a nice car but it is not a substitute for the 911. I also have a Cayenne Turbo and I use this vehicle for the family. The Taycan is new and Porsche has a long way to go in making the EV a daily, long term platform. I am coming to the end of my lease and I am actually considering going back to a Panamera for my sedan need with a two for one switch.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
As Klint already said: welcome.
Happy wife, happy life.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I recently joined this forum and would love you opinions

I’ve been a happy Porsche driver for 15 years. First a Boxster S convertible and currently a 991S Carrera Cabriolet manual.

I‘ve gotten great joy from my 911. I love driving with the top down, zipping along the winding backroads near my house, running the car through its gears with the 7 speed stick. But it might be time to move on.

my wife has been grumbling. the 911 can’t comfortably seat four adults, the ride is rough for passengers, the cabin is noisy, I can’t safely drive the rear wheel drive 911 in inclement weather, and she hates driving a stick so has literally driven my car once in 7 years. Our youngest has taken our third car out to San Fran, and my wife is tired of my always using her Volvo XC90 and wants me to get a different car that would be a bit more practical.

Wife likes the Taycan. She like the ride, and says she would be happy to drive it (as apposed to the 911), and likes the fact that it would be new and near maintenance free

But I love my 911 and am still waffling about making the move to a Taycan.

So the Pros for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan are:

1- my wife hates driving a stick and would happily drive the Taycan
2- the ride is rough in the 911 and quite a bit more comfortable in the Taycan
3- my wife dislikes the noisiness of the 911 and would much prefer the more quiet Taycan
4- as a 4 seater automatic the Taycan is more practical. I can fit 4 adults in it and my adult children can drive it when home.
4- we like the idea of moving to the future and the high tech that EV's have to offer
5- less maintenance and no gas bill

1- My 911 is a stick and oh so fun to drive
2-my 911 is a convertible
3-my 911 is a 991.1 so is likely to become a more desirable collectible car
4- the car is already depreciated
5- EV's are still newer technology and Porsche is still new to the game- concern about bugginess

So help me to decide!

Cheers!!

Sounds like what you really need is an appliance car to complement your 911; get a Volvo/VW/Audi whatever that seats 4 adults and gets ok economy.

Honestly, you seem to enjoy the 911 for all the right reasons; manual, open top, handling, NA engine. Going to the Taycan will deprive you of almost all things you enjoy about the 911; no mechanical noise, no open top, no gears, etc.

I too went from a 991.1 to a Taycan, mostly because I got an absurd offer for my 180k Km 991. The Taycan for all its power, refinement, tech, space etc doesn't make me feel as good as that 911 did. I drove that 991 everywhere as the mileage will attest; summer, winter, skiing trips, long distance. Made my family of 4 pack lightly when we took it to central Italy. it was always an experience. Taycan just doesn't feel as special. Hindsight, I would have kept the fully depreciated 911 for almost zero marginal cost, and bought a Golf GTI if my wife had pushed me.

OP
OP

Novaman

First Name
Charlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 911 Carrera S Cabriolet
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses...

Yes- happy wife, happy life.

So one option we have is that we are about to take delivery of a brand new Tesla Y, and rather than trading in the Volvo XC90 we could just keep it. That would give us 2 practical cars to use and I would just keep the 911 for fun. My wife is not keen on being a 3 car family since it is now just the 2 of us, and we only have a 2 car garage.

We might just try that for a while and see how it goes.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the Y should do you great - 2 practical cars + 1 recreational vehicle is fine in my opinion - you will regret losing the 911

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I came from a 911 GTS. If life had an UNDO button, I'd be slamming it.

Specifically relevant for me:

No, no you can't. Unless your adults are all small, and the drive is short.

My 9 year old complains every damn day about the lack of space in the back - really not all that different from the 911.

My vote: keep the 911. If you need an eco friendly people mover and don't want to blow the budget, look into a little EV in addition to the 911.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
It’s possible that the OP is not really a sports car person but more of a general car enthusiast. 911 is one type of fun and the Taycan is another (with a sprinkle of practicality). To the points made by others, they can’t replace each other but if you just want to move to a different type of fun then give it a go. I think we all know at least one person that gave up a legit sports car for a Tesla. Those that are hard core into the 911 as a sports car would likely not ask the question. Good luck either way. As long as you are happy, you are winning.
Sponsored