Help convince me to switch from a 911S Cabriolet to a Taycan 4S

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Spoiled brat šŸ¤£ My kids would accept being hauled in the trunk as long as it's a porsche and my wife sat in the back for 35 min and still loved it.

I sat in the back of a gts to confirm headroom and damn, I had more leg space than in a C class Mercedes which I own. How they managed that beats me (compare a BMW 1 series or the Mercedes A class to know what lack of space is)

But anyway, I guess space depends really of what one is used to.
That's a fair point. I guess the advice to OP is to really have hard look at the rear seats and determine whether they really truly meet the expectations.

The car is much more cramped in the back than exterior dimensions would lead you to believe.

In my case, if the spoiled brats are going to be complaining anyway, I might as well have stuck with the 911 :)
Sponsored

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did it. I traded my 911S Convertable for the Taycan. I only regret that EV charging is not ready for prime time. At home, I can charge every night, which covers 95% of my driving. But when you need to make that trip greater than 150 miles R/T, it is a PAIN. I see you are from N.VA. I live out in Leesburg. A trip to DC requires attention to making it on a single charge. If I want to take a day trip to Charlottesville, I can barely make it. I have learned never to count on the charging network, and if you find something that works (or there isn't a line of cars), it is a bonus.

And your Pros/Cons list reads exactly like mine. The car itself is fabulous, and I don't regret the switch from 911 to Taycan for the car itself.

I LOVE THE CAR, but the range is making me sell it. If you are local and still interested in a 2021 Taycan S in PERFECT condition, let me know, and you might want to buy mine.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
^This. A paid-for, fully-depreciated, occasionally-driven car is really not a burden. If garage space/parking outside is indeed a concern that outweighs the joy and benefits of keeping that fun car, then the question answers itself.

May I recommend a 996?
I've owned a 996- never again. LOL. Horrible 90s feeling interior, sticky buttons, fried egg headlights, etc. Its funny they are gaining a resurgence, partly because they can be had in the high teens and 20's probably. The 997 is such a better car, and the 991 that much more than that even IMO.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've owned a 996- never again. LOL. Horrible 90s feeling interior, sticky buttons, fried egg headlights, etc. Its funny they are gaining a resurgence, partly because they can be had in the high teens and 20's probably. The 997 is such a better car, and the 991 that much more than that even IMO.
Having owned all three - I loved them all but agree with your assessment.

jakeCT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
missed: RX8 / current: Model 3, MYP / CT4 waitlist
Country flag
Model 3 and Y suspensions can be dramatically improved with after market shocks and such - with the recent price cuts and even factoring in after market shock upgrade, it's an affordable and excellent option and places it among the best cars in their class

I highly recommend Mountainpass shocks/coil-over Tesla solutions - their shocks transformed my 2018 Model 3 Performance for less money than a set of tires for my Taycan.
Iā€™d like to add to this as I currently drive a 2020 Model Y Performance with the MPP comfort adjustable coilovers (also have a 2018 Model 3) with about 15K miles of seat time and have adjusted the compression/rebound settings 41 times now for my daily driving (just street, no track; I log all numbers and my impressions of each!).

The handling, comfort and vehicle control has improved immensely however let me warn you that the MY is inherently a loud car with significant NVH issues, which replacing the suspension will not fix. Its platform is the Model 3ā€™s and itā€™s evident that it needed the rear trunk to isolate the noise from the rear. The large open cabin and all the roof glass just bounces road noise and chassis vibration everywhere. Even after significant noise insulation (butyl, foam sheets, layers of MLV) in every panel and wheel well I can remove and access (and adding parcel shelf) and solving all rattles, each time I drive it, I just want my coming Taycan more.

With that said, and especially with a parcel shelf, the rear space on the Model 3 and Y is practically the same. The Y gets better road visibility as a taller car does, and more rear seat legroom and raised seating, but suffers from feeling like a bus with heavy steering vs. the more go-kart Model 3. More importantly, there is no NVH, ear pressure thread with 1150+ posts on it as the Model Y does, that unfortunately new owners do not discover for themselves after a few days of ownership (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ear-pain-pressure-help.205783/page-59)ā€¦ and you wonder why Tesla quickly got rid of the 2-week new car return policy after the first Model Ys got delivered in 2020.

So definitely look at a Model 3 and consider the MPP suspension upgrade if left wanting for improved handling! ;)

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Eh, we're not all looking for the same thing in a car, evidently. The 914s are gaining a resurgence, too, good luck.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
my always using her Volvo XC90 and
I recently joined this forum and would love you opinions

Iā€™ve been a happy Porsche driver for 15 years. First a Boxster S convertible and currently a 991S Carrera Cabriolet manual.

Iā€˜ve gotten great joy from my 911. I love driving with the top down, zipping along the winding backroads near my house, running the car through its gears with the 7 speed stick. But it might be time to move on.

my wife has been grumbling. the 911 canā€™t comfortably seat four adults, the ride is rough for passengers, the cabin is noisy, I canā€™t safely drive the rear wheel drive 911 in inclement weather, and she hates driving a stick so has literally driven my car once in 7 years. Our youngest has taken our third car out to San Fran, and my wife is tired of my always using her Volvo XC90 and wants me to get a different car that would be a bit more practical.

Wife likes the Taycan. She like the ride, and says she would be happy to drive it (as apposed to the 911), and likes the fact that it would be new and near maintenance free

But I love my 911 and am still waffling about making the move to a Taycan.

So the Pros for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan are:

1- my wife hates driving a stick and would happily drive the Taycan
2- the ride is rough in the 911 and quite a bit more comfortable in the Taycan
3- my wife dislikes the noisiness of the 911 and would much prefer the more quiet Taycan
4- as a 4 seater automatic the Taycan is more practical. I can fit 4 adults in it and my adult children can drive it when home.
4- we like the idea of moving to the future and the high tech that EV's have to offer
5- less maintenance and no gas bill

The Cons for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan

1- My 911 is a stick and oh so fun to drive
2-my 911 is a convertible
3-my 911 is a 991.1 so is likely to become a more desirable collectible car
4- the car is already depreciated
5- EV's are still newer technology and Porsche is still new to the game- concern about bugginess

So help me to decide!

Cheers!!
Keep the 911 to drive, and pick up a more practical EV for every day use. Plenty of options out there now (VW ID.4, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 GT, Volvo XC40 EV etc). Much cheaper, and probably more practical than a Taycan. Or, if you can wait and really want the Porsche, there is a Macan EV coming soon.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ouch. So the 5% of your driving is making you sell it?
If I cannot use the car for the 5% extended travel, then so be it. I could go into the other issues with how Porsche has ignored their customer base concerning their EA issues and the home charger, but . . . .

It's just not ready for prime time, as I need a daily driver that I can always use. Perhaps in a few years, when the infrastructure is ready. But it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
One of the big advantages for me, going from a 991. to a Taycan: service.

There isn't any! No more oil changes, plugs, belts, pumps, etc.
Lol, theoretically, this is true. Until your heater breaks and you cannot get a local dealer to diagnose the car for 4 weeks without a loaner, then they tell you that they need to order a part which I am still waiting for. I've got two local dealers who are hurting for trained EV technicians. Wish I still had my 911, it just ran (wth heat).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Lol, theoretically, this is true. Until your heater breaks and you cannot get a local dealer to diagnose the car for 4 weeks without a loaner, then they tell you that they need to order a part which I am still waiting for. I've got two local dealers who are hurting for trained EV technicians. Wish I still had my 911, it just ran (wth heat).
I agree with your point - but let's distinguish repairs vs. maintenance - and I'm having trouble with some of my ICE vehicles - asking anyone with a porsche what the ETA is for their replacment 12V battery or other parts for their 911/Cayenne/Macan - it's a world wide problem across the industry at the moment

if you want reliable and accessable parts - Porsche/BMW/Mercedes are NOT your vendor these days

stick with Toyota, Honda, KIA, etcā€¦

repairs are challenging for most auto maker's right now and part's shortages are endemic - and staff is hard to come by EV or otherwiseā€¦I had to schedule my Cayeen's oil change 6 weeks out due to "limited staffing" in the bay areaā€¦

ICE isn't going to save you from this messā€¦that's a fact.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I recently joined this forum and would love you opinions

Iā€™ve been a happy Porsche driver for 15 years. First a Boxster S convertible and currently a 991S Carrera Cabriolet manual.

Iā€˜ve gotten great joy from my 911. I love driving with the top down, zipping along the winding backroads near my house, running the car through its gears with the 7 speed stick. But it might be time to move on.

my wife has been grumbling. the 911 canā€™t comfortably seat four adults, the ride is rough for passengers, the cabin is noisy, I canā€™t safely drive the rear wheel drive 911 in inclement weather, and she hates driving a stick so has literally driven my car once in 7 years. Our youngest has taken our third car out to San Fran, and my wife is tired of my always using her Volvo XC90 and wants me to get a different car that would be a bit more practical.

Wife likes the Taycan. She like the ride, and says she would be happy to drive it (as apposed to the 911), and likes the fact that it would be new and near maintenance free

But I love my 911 and am still waffling about making the move to a Taycan.

So the Pros for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan are:

1- my wife hates driving a stick and would happily drive the Taycan
2- the ride is rough in the 911 and quite a bit more comfortable in the Taycan
3- my wife dislikes the noisiness of the 911 and would much prefer the more quiet Taycan
4- as a 4 seater automatic the Taycan is more practical. I can fit 4 adults in it and my adult children can drive it when home.
4- we like the idea of moving to the future and the high tech that EV's have to offer
5- less maintenance and no gas bill

The Cons for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan

1- My 911 is a stick and oh so fun to drive
2-my 911 is a convertible
3-my 911 is a 991.1 so is likely to become a more desirable collectible car
4- the car is already depreciated
5- EV's are still newer technology and Porsche is still new to the game- concern about bugginess

So help me to decide!

Cheers!!
I sold my 911S Cab for a RWD Taycan and have no regrets whatsoever. I would have preferred a convertible yes, but the pros significantly outweighed the cons on that decision.

I also sold the 911 for close to what I paid, so drove a six-figure vehicle for 12 years, essentially for free.

You will hear others say "keep both" but regrettably that wasn't an option for me if I wanted to stay married.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with your point - but let's distinguish repairs vs. maintenance - and I'm having trouble with some of my ICE vehicles - asking anyone with a porsche what the ETA is for their replacment 12V battery or other parts for their 911/Cayenne/Macan - it's a world wide problem across the industry at the moment

if you want reliable and accessable parts - Porsche/BMW/Mercedes are NOT your vendor these days

stick with Toyota, Honda, KIA, etcā€¦

repairs are challenging for most auto maker's right now and part's shortages are endemic - and staff is hard to come by EV or otherwiseā€¦I had to schedule my Cayeen's oil change 6 weeks out due to "limited staffing" in the bay areaā€¦

ICE isn't going to save you from this messā€¦that's a fact.

Totally agree on this. My wife's Audi Q5 had a leaking gasket and they had the car in for over a month waiting for the part. For regular services, they are taking bookings a month or more out. Between parts and difficulty getting trained employees it is hard to get any work done on a car at the moment.
Sponsored