bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I like the -design- of the PCM just fine.

What I don't like are the bugs, which I've started writing down.
  • Configuring Apple Music -after- configuring Apple Podcasts clears podcast credentials
  • Apple Music stops working after a period of time, requiring changing profiles to fix
  • Occasionally, Apple Music will require pause/play to resume when tracks change
  • When carplay connects, it frequently stops playing the current media
  • Sometimes the PCM stops working entirely (no sound at all) such that only a reboot recovers it.
  • Reboot is not user-friendly and can't be done while driving, which needs to be fixed since it has to be done often.
If anyone else has PCM bugs please let me know as I'm maintaining a list and I'm sending it to them in hopes of getting them fixed.
The design is functional. I don't think it will win any awards, but it serves its purpose and is mostly easy to use, even while driving. The voice commands work well for me too. In terms of bugs:

* The Apple Music integration is great when it works, but seems to be the most buggy part of the package. I don't use CarPlay, but I do usually listen to playlists from Apple Music in the car. When I start, it can take up to 10 minutes for the infotainment to get beyond "loading data" and sometimes Apple Music has disappeared from the options only to reappear magically at some point later. My suspicion is that it doesn't cache anything, and needs to resync everything each time it starts up. I have pretty weak Verizon coverage at home, so it probably doesn't have a great connection to do that over.

* There is an odd bug where the volume shows as '-1' and can't be changed until you switch audio source.

* Navigation search prompt shows in German (sometimes, randomly). Will switch back to English once you enter something though so not a big deal.

* On the dash display, I have had negative miles/kWh values show up in the trip information (usually when starting the trip with a long downhill run).

* Streams of "charging session started" push notifications from Porsche Charging app, hours after I had disconnected from the charger (I never get them until I disconnect, but the last time I used it, it didn't stop sending them until I turned off notification permission for the app).

Those are the ones I have still open with the support team. Previous issues included the two weeks before I could sign in to PCM (login button was greyed out and would not change even when username & password were entered), Apple Music/Podcasts saying registration is not available, Sirius XM becoming unregistered, app & website saying the car was disconnected while the car claimed to be connected.

Probably not PCM, but I still suspect software issues rather than hardware ones:

a) Park assist randomly stops working (says service required), but will be back to normal when the car is next started. Also, it sometimes shows the 360 camera view in this state still, but without the car rendered in the middle - just a ghostly grey blob is there.

b) Adaptive recuperation fails frequently. Most times it can be re-enabled immediately from the steering wheel button.

c) One time the SOS system claimed to be not working. Again, seemed to be back to normal after the next restart (and the green light overhead was on all the time).

On the plus side, I get regular OTA updates, and once I get past the initial data loading phase, the infotainment works well. My ElectrifyAmerica experiences have been mostly painless recently too (a big improvement from earlier this year), although I have still not experienced the plug and charge feature EA claim my 2021 Taycan should support - I need to use the app each time to start charging. The display module behind the steering wheel is fantastic though - really clear and well designed with great customization options too.

The two user programmable buttons are very handy, and I love some of the intelligent features (like remembering where I need to lift the suspension based on geolocation data). The integration of the chargers and required charging stops into the navigation is also good (only thing I'd like there is an option to specify how much charge I'd like left when I reach my destination, so I know I can make it back to a charger if there isn't one at my destination).
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
The integration of the chargers and required charging stops into the navigation is also good (only thing I'd like there is an option to specify how much charge I'd like left when I reach my destination, so I know I can make it back to a charger if there isn't one at my destination).
I am fairly certain you can do this now. I saw a video from PC Car Whsiperer that demonstrated this function on MY2021 and with the new software on MY2020.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
* On the dash display, I have had negative miles/kWh values show up in the trip information (usually when starting the trip with a long downhill run).
I'd argue this is borderline. It makes more sense when it's kWh/mile since you're literally gaining energy but in a sense you are also gaining miles when recuperating downhill.

* Streams of "charging session started" push notifications from Porsche Charging app, hours after I had disconnected from the charger (I never get them until I disconnect, but the last time I used it, it didn't stop sending them until I turned off notification permission for the app).
Agreed, I also had to turn off the notification.

On the plus side, I get regular OTA updates, and once I get past the initial data loading phase, the infotainment works well. My ElectrifyAmerica experiences have been mostly painless recently too (a big improvement from earlier this year), although I have still not experienced the plug and charge feature EA claim my 2021 Taycan should support - I need to use the app each time to start charging. The display module behind the steering wheel is fantastic though - really clear and well designed with great customization options too.
I've also never been able to use Plug & Charge. Does it get to the point where it's connected to the car, but then when negotiating payment, it fails with a mysterious error?

Also, just since I'm trying to gather data on this -- in your Charging NA app, does your vehicle show up under My Vehicles? Mine never has.

Since Plug & Charge always tries to do it's thing if you have it on, what I usually do now is turn it on when I pull up to the station to see if it'll work this time, and then when it fails, I turn it off in PCM so that I can start the charge manually from the app. I haven't found a way to manually initiate if Plug & Charge is enabled.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I've also never been able to use Plug & Charge. Does it get to the point where it's connected to the car, but then when negotiating payment, it fails with a mysterious error?
do you have the 19.2 kw onboard charger installed?
on my car the option for plug and charge in the menus was taken off and isn't available as a choice. I frequently have issues getting the car to charge at EA units.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
do you have the 19.2 kw onboard charger installed?
on my car the option for plug and charge in the menus was taken off and isn't available as a choice. I frequently have issues getting the car to charge at EA units.
Nope, I don't. I have the option in the menu as well, as I toggle it on/off as I described.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
interesting, do you have plug and charge toggled on the charge NA app?
Nope, because the My Vehicles section of the Charging NA app has always been empty for me, and I dunno how to fix it:

Porsche Taycan Help! I accidentally liked the PCM! IMG_8F555AEED46C-1

This remains my most promising lead on why Plug & Charge doesn't work for me, but I don't know what to do about it.

I've done some unofficial polling of various users who also have had Plug & Charge issues, but I thought I remember someone saying they also had an empty My Vehicles section but Plug & Charge worked for them, so I don't really know what to think.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am fairly certain you can do this now. I saw a video from PC Car Whsiperer that demonstrated this function on MY2021 and with the new software on MY2020.
Thanks for the pointer - I found the video. Why they buried that in the settings rather than just allowing me to tap the battery on the route summary I don't know, but now I know, I will get in there and adjust it next time we're heading somewhere without chargers,

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd argue this is borderline. It makes more sense when it's kWh/mile since you're literally gaining energy but in a sense you are also gaining miles when recuperating downhill.
It should be a larger positive number though (I actually think it is, but they have a rollover error in their code - as I used power again it suddenly flipped to something like 12 mi/kWh and then came down to the more normal 3ish.

It should jump straight through the screen that appears after the connecting to vehicle and go directly to the progress bar screen. Never seen it happen, and never had an error that I could put down to this failing in some way.

Also, just since I'm trying to gather data on this -- in your Charging NA app, does your vehicle show up under My Vehicles? Mine never has.
Yes, why car does show up there in the app. The other issue I have with the charging app is that in the circle where it shows power while charging it seems to get the wrong value. I saw it the other day where the app claimed 120kW and the charger showed 67kW.

Since Plug & Charge always tries to do it's thing if you have it on, what I usually do now is turn it on when I pull up to the station to see if it'll work this time, and then when it fails, I turn it off in PCM so that I can start the charge manually from the app. I haven't found a way to manually initiate if Plug & Charge is enabled.
Maybe that is the problem. I hadn't seen a place to turn this on or off. Going to have to go and check that out now too...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Nope, because the My Vehicles section of the Charging NA app has always been empty for me, and I dunno how to fix it:
you cannot fix it, the plug and charge option has been removed from our cars.
it was removed because of the conflict caused by the 19.2 kw onboard charger.
this stinks because we don't have access to a feature because of a flaw that porsche baked into the car, they are doing nothing to rectify the issue for us and we paid for that 19.2 onboard unit.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
you cannot fix it, the plug and charge option has been removed from our cars.
it was removed because of the conflict caused by the 19.2 kw onboard charger.
this stinks because we don't have access to a feature because of a flaw that porsche baked into the car, they are doing nothing to rectify the issue for us and we paid for that 19.2 onboard unit.
I don't have the 19.2 kW onboard charger.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
b) Adaptive recuperation fails frequently. Most times it can be re-enabled immediately from the steering wheel button.
Same scenario for me on my RWD since the recall software update. There is a thread here about it and it shows screen shots of the manual about auto recup. and why it's not available all the time and why it may shut off.

BROUbrou09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4S, Audi e-tron
Country flag
Same scenario for me on my RWD since the recall software update. There is a thread here about it and it shows screen shots of the manual about auto recup. and why it's not available all the time and why it may shut off.
I have the same issue with adaptive recuperation randomly disengaging. Sometimes it will work flawlessly and other times it will disengage multiple times in a drive. Does not seem to correspond with weather/driving conditions, lighting/time of day, speed, etc. Quite frustrating.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I still don't have any problems with the PCM.
After two years of ownership and 20000km:
8-8-2020: night view assist black image, resolved by itself.
22-9-2020: nav route: remaining battery level at destination is not calculated (0%). Fixed by update.
Realignment rear wing (minor but still).
4-12-2020: no more contact with the Porsche server (OTA module 2x defective).
Replaced. No problems anymore after that.
10-01-2021: black screen during navigation (cockpit screen).
Solved by itself.
June 2021 lost settings, including seat and steering wheel, had to manually reset.
Later on it was known to be the server was down due to an upgrade.
29-1-2022 Main screen remains off when auto powering on. Solved by itself.

That's it.
Still love the car from day one.
Amazing and stunning still.
Extremely happy, even after two years! ???
Sponsored

Last edited: