Pedrotaycan

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Eclass
Country flag
I am considering the RWD Taycan which just came out in Hong Kong.

The RWD base car starts at £116k which is pretty good compared to other Porsches here. The issue is that there is a 100% tax for every option here, which makes choosing an option more difficult as it raises the price quickly.

The main purpose of the car will be daily drive in the city, and Hong Kong roads are pretty good and smooth. There is a lot of traffic. I am not concerned about range as it is a small city and I will have home charging. There are also a lot of EV chargers here.

The options which I feel are a must are the Bose sound system, 4+1 seats , Ambient lighting, Storage, Surround Parking Assist, Passenger Display, and Electric side windows. However, there are some "other" options which i'm not sure of and considering whether to get or not as they quickly raise the price :

Prices are US dollars and Pounds (approximately) :

Color : Standard White. Change to Volcano Grey + US $2500 / £2100

Leather : Is upgrading the full leather worthwhile - does it dramatically improve the interior and luxury of the car, or not so much? A nice cabin is important to me, but only if it is much nicer. Adding Full Leather interior or Race Tex Vegan leather + US $10,000 / £7800

Chrono : Is Sports Chrono a must ? Ive read that it is necessary to make it a real porche . Cost is US $2500/ £2100

PASM Air Suspension : is this only useful for dodging speed bumps and fast driving, or does it greatly improve the comfort of the ride (eg less bumpy on roads)
Cost is US $5200/ £4000

RWS : Rear Wheel Steering (must have PASM too)+ US $4500 / £2000

Adaptive Cruise Control : it seems this is a must but wanted to know your thoughts. Cost to add is US $4000/ £3200

Aero 20" Wheels : US $5000 / £4000

Porsche Electric sound : Cost to add US $500 / £400

If I get all the above options, the car will end up costing about $200,000 / £160,000.
The build can be found here : http://www.porsche-code.com/PM34W7X7

If I dont, and just get the ones I need, it is about $165000. / £130,000

However I feel the full leather, PASM, and Adaptive cruise control are important. Are they?
Would you add the Chrono for $2500 (£2100) or skip it?

Side note : Performance battery is an extra US $12000, but really not necessary in Hong Kong where every parking space has an EV charger
I was considering the 4s, but the Taycan 4S starts at $220,000 and adding even just the most basic options it would quickly be US $250,000 or so.

Can anyone comment on what they feel are important options for a RWD Taycan ?

Thanks!
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
For HK (driving in tight streets, tight U-turns and tight parking) Rear Wheel Steering is the only must have option. It is tremendously helpful, EVERY single time you drive the car!

I would spec

air suspension - so smooth
Bose sound system - really good
4+1 seats - so practical
Surround Parking Assist - sometimes really useful
Electric side window - often useful in tight parking

With this you will have a fantastic EV.

ACC could be really useful in dense city driving, but I personally don't like it, because it keeps too much distance at very low speeds. This is exactly what Audi had for 15 years, NO improvements. InnoDrive was not even offered for China, not sure about HK. If money was tight and I only drive in HK, I would not even order ACC. I recently drove to Hainan and on long highway stretches driving on the speed limit it is helpful.

Others on your list:

Ambient lighting - if you like it. Do you drive a lot at night?

Storage, Passenger Display - useless!

Sports Chrono - Don't waste your money for daily city driving - you will always be in Normal mode occasionally in Sports mode!

Porsche Electric sound - useless gimmik, don't waste your money!

Dig deep and check the few free options as well!

loysha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS E-tron GT
Country flag
Sport Chrono in an electric Porsche is superfluous. It's just an extra mode switch on the steering wheel and a stopwatch.
You can always switch modes through the PCM quick menu.

Sprot chrono makes a real Porsche only in a car with gasoline.

Jeke74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD Carrera white 2021
Country flag
I am considering the RWD Taycan which just came out in Hong Kong.

The RWD base car starts at £116k which is pretty good compared to other Porsches here. The issue is that there is a 100% tax for every option here, which makes choosing an option more difficult as it raises the price quickly.

The main purpose of the car will be daily drive in the city, and Hong Kong roads are pretty good and smooth. There is a lot of traffic. I am not concerned about range as it is a small city and I will have home charging. There are also a lot of EV chargers here.

The options which I feel are a must are the Bose sound system, 4+1 seats , Ambient lighting, Storage, Surround Parking Assist, Passenger Display, and Electric side windows. However, there are some "other" options which i'm not sure of and considering whether to get or not as they quickly raise the price :

Prices are US dollars and Pounds (approximately) :

Color : Standard White. Change to Volcano Grey + US $2500 / £2100

Leather : Is upgrading the full leather worthwhile - does it dramatically improve the interior and luxury of the car, or not so much? A nice cabin is important to me, but only if it is much nicer. Adding Full Leather interior or Race Tex Vegan leather + US $10,000 / £7800

Chrono : Is Sports Chrono a must ? Ive read that it is necessary to make it a real porche . Cost is US $2500/ £2100

PASM Air Suspension : is this only useful for dodging speed bumps and fast driving, or does it greatly improve the comfort of the ride (eg less bumpy on roads)
Cost is US $5200/ £4000

RWS : Rear Wheel Steering (must have PASM too)+ US $4500 / £2000

Adaptive Cruise Control : it seems this is a must but wanted to know your thoughts. Cost to add is US $4000/ £3200

Aero 20" Wheels : US $5000 / £4000

Porsche Electric sound : Cost to add US $500 / £400

If I get all the above options, the car will end up costing about $200,000 / £160,000.
The build can be found here : http://www.porsche-code.com/PM34W7X7

If I dont, and just get the ones I need, it is about $165000. / £130,000

However I feel the full leather, PASM, and Adaptive cruise control are important. Are they?
Would you add the Chrono for $2500 (£2100) or skip it?

Side note : Performance battery is an extra US $12000, but really not necessary in Hong Kong where every parking space has an EV charger
I was considering the 4s, but the Taycan 4S starts at $220,000 and adding even just the most basic options it would quickly be US $250,000 or so.

Can anyone comment on what they feel are important options for a RWD Taycan ?

Thanks!
Hello Pedro!

i was almost same situation than you 2 months ago.
I have sold my Mercedes E Class Coupé and now ordered
Taycan RWD.

I live very near city and have home charging also.
So I didn’t need bigger battery.

Here is my opinion about your questions:

Leather: Go with standard leather.There has been already many issues in Club Oleo leather.When I was ordering my car,there was one Taycan with Club Oleo leather,and leather were already littlebiT broken and they told me to NOT choose that.I took base black/chalk beige interior.

Chrono: I really love it,it Looks nice,you get better steeringwheel,and is easy to change your driving high(airsuspension).I choosed it.

Air-suspension: You can raise your car,when you need it and lower when you want drive more sporty.
Also better comfort.I choosed it.

Rear wheel steering:I haven’t drive Taycan with that,but I
took power steering plus,for easy city drive.

adaptive cruise:I drive mostly in city and don’t need it.

wheels:I think 20” is minimum for a big car like Taycan.
I went with 21”

Electric sound:I choose it. One day I almost walked in front of Taycan in the city,because I didn’t hear a car.
I think,I will use it in the city,to warn people.

Also choosed:4+1 seats,BOSE,basic parking camera,seat heaters,ionisator,ambient lighting,privacy glass.

OP
OP

Pedrotaycan

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Eclass
Country flag
For HK (driving in tight streets, tight U-turns and tight parking) Rear Wheel Steering is the only must have option. It is tremendously helpful, EVERY single time you drive the car!

I would spec

air suspension - so smooth
Bose sound system - really good
4+1 seats - so practical
Surround Parking Assist - sometimes really useful
Electric side window - often useful in tight parking

With this you will have a fantastic EV.

ACC could be really useful in dense city driving, but I personally don't like it, because it keeps too much distance at very low speeds. This is exactly what Audi had for 15 years, NO improvements. InnoDrive was not even offered for China, not sure about HK. If money was tight and I only drive in HK, I would not even order ACC. I recently drove to Hainan and on long highway stretches driving on the speed limit it is helpful.

Others on your list:

Ambient lighting - if you like it. Do you drive a lot at night?

Do you think the full leather is worth while, or is the standard interior in the Ta luxurious enough?
Storage, Passenger Display - useless!

Sports Chrono - Don't waste your money for daily city driving - you will always be in Normal mode occasionally in Sports mode!

Porsche Electric sound - useless gimmik, don't waste your money!

Dig deep and check the few free options as well!
Hello Pedro!

i was almost same situation than you 2 months ago.
I have sold my Mercedes E Class Coupé and now ordered
Taycan RWD.

I live very near city and have home charging also.
So I didn’t need bigger battery.

Here is my opinion about your questions:

Leather: Go with standard leather.There has been already many issues in Club Oleo leather.When I was ordering my car,there was one Taycan with Club Oleo leather,and leather were already littlebiT broken and they told me to NOT choose that.I took base black/chalk beige interior.

Chrono: I really love it,it Looks nice,you get better steeringwheel,and is easy to change your driving high(airsuspension).I choosed it.

Air-suspension: You can raise your car,when you need it and lower when you want drive more sporty.
Also better comfort.I choosed it.

Rear wheel steering:I haven’t drive Taycan with that,but I
took power steering plus,for easy city drive.

adaptive cruise:I drive mostly in city and don’t need it.

wheels:I think 20” is minimum for a big car like Taycan.
I went with 21”

Electric sound:I choose it. One day I almost walked in front of Taycan in the city,because I didn’t hear a car.
I think,I will use it in the city,to warn people.

Also choosed:4+1 seats,BOSE,basic parking camera,seat heaters,ionisator,ambient lighting,privacy glass.
Sounds like a good spec

I am also thinking of choosing the standard leather but in grey, and adding the aluminium interior. Although I think the full leather is nicer overall, it is almost £10000 more here and I’m not sure it is worth that. I have to see the difference. If you have photos of yours beige/black interior, that would be great to see.

I think i will upgrade my wheels after 6-12 months , because then they dont charge the tax after 6 months, and i can get it for less.

We dont have power steering plus here?

Not sure about the Chrono - its about £2000 and its mostly for show i guess. Does it make sense to have it in a RWD?

I’ll probably end up getting it PASM since it affects the comfort and ride , but not sure about Real Wheel Axel yet.. i hear it can reduce turning by almost a meter, which is pretty cool but not sure its really needed and it costs £4000. Its either Real Wheel Axel or Automated Cruise Control. Ive never driven a car without cruise control, so I feel its a basic requirement even though i wont use it much In the city.. perhaps for traffic situations?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Not sure about the Chrono - its about £2000 and its mostly for show i guess. Does it make sense to have it in a RWD?

I’ll probably end up getting it PASM since it affects the comfort and ride , but not sure about Real Wheel Axel yet.. i hear it can reduce turning by almost a meter, which is pretty cool but not sure its really needed and it costs £4000. Its either Real Wheel Axel or Automated Cruise Control. Ive never driven a car without cruise control, so I feel its a basic requirement even though i wont use it much In the city.. perhaps for traffic situations?
I hardly use ACC in the city, but then you have crazy amount of speeding cameras in HK, where ACC could be of some help.

If I were you, I would pick RAS, because it puts a smile on your face every time you drive the car. I do most of my driving in Shenzhen, and Rear Axel Steering, I experience every day to my utter enjoyment. The ease in which you can move the car in tight parking places is amazing. Would never buy a car without it.

If money is tight, save it on Chrono.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello Pedro,

greetings to Hong Kong, I was there just before CoVID. Others made good recommendations regarding your options list, but I'll chime in so you can make better statistics :).

• White: Looks very good. Plus Hong Kong is hot, so better a lighter colour, IMHO.
  • Bose: Yes, much better than the normal sound system, and the normal system is not good enough.
  • 4+1: Yes, they really work, and you'll have passengers that want to drive with you.
  • Ambient lighting: Very nice indeed.
  • Storage: Don't know. I have it, but hardly used it.
  • Leather: It seems very expensive, but will make the car better. Tough call.
  • Passenger display: Very likely, no. It does not help the driver, may even be distracting. A passenger can also operate the central panel.
  • Sport chrono: IMHO, also a no. It looks to ugly and you can switch the car to sport mode anyway plus do launch controls (at least on the 4S it is possible).
  • The air suspension: It really works very well. With wife: "normal" mode. With children: "Sport plus" mode :).
  • RWS: I don't know it, but find the praises for it compelling.
  • 20" wheels: Yes, minimum.
  • Sound: No, IMHO. You'll like the silence of the car of the beats from your Bose system.
Good luck and what fun to drive the T through the Hong Kong mountains.

Cheers,
Henrik

OP
OP

Pedrotaycan

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Eclass
Country flag
Hello Pedro,

greetings to Hong Kong, I was there just before CoVID. Others made good recommendations regarding your options list, but I'll chime in so you can make better statistics :).

• White: Looks very good. Plus Hong Kong is hot, so better a lighter colour, IMHO.
  • Bose: Yes, much better than the normal sound system, and the normal system is not good enough.
  • 4+1: Yes, they really work, and you'll have passengers that want to drive with you.
  • Ambient lighting: Very nice indeed.
  • Storage: Don't know. I have it, but hardly used it.
  • Leather: It seems very expensive, but will make the car better. Tough call.
  • Passenger display: Very likely, no. It does not help the driver, may even be distracting. A passenger can also operate the central panel.
  • Sport chrono: IMHO, also a no. It looks to ugly and you can switch the car to sport mode anyway plus do launch controls (at least on the 4S it is possible).
  • The air suspension: It really works very well. With wife: "normal" mode. With children: "Sport plus" mode :).
  • RWS: I don't know it, but find the praises for it compelling.
  • 20" wheels: Yes, minimum.
  • Sound: No, IMHO. You'll like the silence of the car of the beats from your Bose system.
Good luck and what fun to drive the T through the Hong Kong mountains.

Cheers,
Henrik
Thanks Henrik

Do you think the air suspension is important or will the standard steel coil suspension be fine? its about 4000 Euro for the PASM suspension.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
drove a RWD on springs yesterday, surprised how good it was even on U.K. roads.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Air suspension also lowers the car in sport and range mode in addition to offering better comfort in normal mode. I have all these options and if prioritize them in this order:

- Rear axle steering
- PASM w/Air suspension
- ACC
- Full leather
- sport chrono

Sport Chrono is cool because it gives you sport+ and individual mode but I honestly barely use it. Sport mode is typically the way the engineers designed the car to operate. Normal is for gaming efficiency tests and sport+ is really a track mode. It's cool but I wouldn't miss it. Also on most Porsches you need SC for launch control but that's not the case with the Taycan (check to make sure that's true in HK).

I don't use ACC a lot because I go through a toll booth on my commute & that freaks it out but I think you'll really appreciate it in HK traffic. Good luck! There are no wrong answers. It's an amazing car in any configuration.
Sponsored