here’s an idea - VW/Audi/Porsche - EA charging fix…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
VW/Audi/Porsche provides vehicles to their north american employees/dealers and such…these cars are driven by these employee’s and mangement and executives…

they shold provide EV’s to all these people - disable L2 charging -and make them all charge exclusively via EA for their personal driving needs…

I wonder how long we’d continue to have problems at EA stations if VW group were to do this with their company owned fleet cars…
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That would also help prioritize software fixes for the car itself. I don't think an exec would be happy to do PCM reboots to get his radio back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
burn the boats in the harbor - Porsche should required EV corp. vehicles for all the team working on their synthetic fuels - :devil:

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I think there is enough blame to go around on charging issues with Porsche vehicles between Porsche itself and Electrify America. We are hostage to Electrify America for long distance charging needs in the Taycan, so we need to publicly document charging failures when and where we can.

The Taycan is not the only Porsche with issues. I was really interested in upgrading my V-6 Cayenne eHybrid to the Cayenne eHybrid Turbo. I test drove the car one afternoon and it is incredible. While doing a little research on user experiences, I read about Dave's ordeal with his Cayenne charging issues, and that Porsche did not escalate to identify a fix. That kind of killed the ideal of up grading Cayenne's for me.

Maybe we need a concerted communication effort with Porsche NA management to see what ability they have to push for improvements at Electrify America?

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Maybe we need a concerted communication effort with Porsche NA management to see what ability they have to push for improvements at Electrify America?
This will be what does it, especially if the BIF passes and EA all of a sudden can access funds in the Surface Transpo. Block Grant Program.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Really? Putting the blame on Porsche for EAs failures? If I could filter out NA posts I’d do it. I understand the frustration, I don’t understand the rest…

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Really? Putting the blame on Porsche for EAs failures? If I could filter out NA posts I’d do it. I understand the frustration, I don’t understand the rest…

It is not that people are blaming Porsche for EA's shortcomings, but if Porsche has created a relationship with the charging network to leverage the service to charge its vehicles, then it is incumbent upon Porsche to ensure that there is solid charging reliability.

Dave's original comment is certainly tongue in cheek, but his concept to "burn the boats" is spot on. Porsche cannot be pushing competing fueling options at the same time when one of them relies upon a company that is providing substandard service.

The US buys a significant number of Porsches, so you will have to put up with us, sorry. And, I am sure our Canadian neighbors will be a little insulted to be lumped in with the US when you express frustration with the preponderance of "NA centric" posts.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Unfortunately, this is what happens when government gets involved. VW settled the Clean Air Act violations in part by committing to a 2 billion investment in zero emission vehicle infrastructure. Unfortunately, California got 800 million of it (seems shady but true). For the most part, the gov't can't find its ass with both hands, hence no meaningful oversight monitoring once built. Without a profit motive, it is bound to be inferior. When this settlement was agreed to in 2017, the EV was three years down the road for the VW group. This is the plan they sold our gov't https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan/

I believe that until enough users are inconvenienced due to less than an adequate delivery of the charging experience, nothing will change. Lucid is selling their cars (eventually) with the same 3 year charging included at EA. Perhaps with more folks using EA, the voices will grow louder and louder and something will change.
I think the assumption, that because the money for EA came from VW, means that VW owns EA, correct?

So if they don't own it, why would they bother to invest time/money/energy into it to make it work? It's used by all other car brands too, including T, right?

This is just another case, why the transition to EVs will not fly without regulator putting the right intensives and requirements in place.

With IONITY in Europe it is a very different story for VW, since they own a part of it. This is their home market and they must keep domination there.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the assumption, that because the money for EA came from VW, means that VW owns EA, correct?

So if they don't own it, why would they bother to invest time/money/energy into it to make it work? It's used by all other car brands too, including T, right?

This is just another case, why the transition to EVs will not fly without regulator putting the right intensives and requirements in place.

With IONITY in Europe it is a very different story for VW, since they own a part of it. This is their home market and they must keep domination there.
Not T can not use CCS connectors but can use Chademo via a $500 adatper, but charging speeds for chademo are 50 kW - and the supercharger network is vastly more built out and superior in relability, number of charging stalls, and plug&charge actually works

VW does own a stake in EA - and they provide “free” charging @ EA for their customers (VW, Audi, Porsche) - so they own the charging network, and expect their customers to be able to use it because they provide “free accounts“ for charging their EV’s

the network doesn’t work - VW is responsible and should be concerned…

meanwhile Tesla has opened and operates successfully a new 56 stall Supercharger location between SF and LA - and seems able to run a network effectively

all I’m asking is for VW/EA to have their charging network works as well and pathetic Tesla’s network - surely this is no problem because Tesla is soooooo screwed up that a big company like VW should be able to match Tesla’s abilities in this space

the fact that they don’t/can’t/won’t seems to me that they don’t “get” the program here and still remain unfocused on the eventually outcomes…

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Not T can not use CCS connectors but can use Chademo via a $500 adatper, but charging speeds for chademo are 50 kW
Oh, no adapters?

VW does own a stake in EA - and they provide “free” charging @ EA for their customers (VW, Audi, Porsche) - so they own the charging network, and expect their customers to be able to use it because they provide “free accounts“ for charging their EV’s

the network doesn’t work - VW is responsible and should be concerned…

meanwhile Tesla has opened and operates successfully a new 56 stall Supercharger location between SF and LA - and seems able to run a network effectively

all I’m asking is for VW/EA to have their charging network works as well and pathetic Tesla’s network - surely this is no problem because Tesla is soooooo screwed up that a big company like VW should be able to match Tesla’s abilities in this space

the fact that they don’t/can’t/won’t seems to me that they don’t “get” the program here and still remain unfocused on the eventually outcomes…
You are dreaming!!! Why would a company partly owned by the German government getting hammered in an US court, turn around and invest even more in public infrastructure in the US?

VW - as all other European car brands - has such a high demand on EVs, they cannot catch up with sourcing (battery, chips) and production, why would they bother about a market, which has little to no government support?

If this is such a big thing for you, there are only three options:
  • Push your government to get their act together
  • Go back to your favorite superior brand
  • Get on with your life :blush:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Again, people just assuming VW and Porsche own EA and it’s only their responsibility to run and fix it. They chose EA as a partner because there is nothing else, or is there something similar with the same amount of fast chargers? They had no choice. It is your government and EA as a company that have to get their shit together. VW and others will Fokus on their cars and that’s it. The blame game is an US favorite game it seems.
VW does OWN EA - but it’s a separate corporation - but VW sits on the board and provided all funding for EA’s establishment - it’s a favorite game of non-US people to to assume govt. needs to provide all solutions…

VW funded EA, VW uses EA, VW sits on the board of EA - VW is looking to sell it’s interest in EA

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/07/v...l,to inject about $1 billion into the company.

if VW doesn’t own EA - then what “stake” do they have to sell - VW has an ownership share in EA.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
What you don't know is how well EA is working though...
If you stay long enough on internet it seems like every single EA charger has issues...
People always post problems cuz they search for a solution, pretty predictable and surely not a reflection of reality.
That's why we need to know how many charging sessions succeed in order to call EA charging "problematic".
We just don't know.
Posts like this also contribute to the bad image of EA while reality may be completely different...
Social media is great to share experiences and find help but also to draw negative attention based on assumptions.
Same for PCM problems on our Taycans, not all Taycans are lemons, in fact, most of them are perfectly fine, like mine.
Got my drift?

Last edited:

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
  • Push your government to get their act together
I hate to tell you - our lawmakers can't find their hands from their ass. I was a public servant for almost a decade across environmental, transportation and maritime policy. Shit was the same in 2012 as it is now...useless and driven by personal ideology not the ideology of their constituents.

EA's problems in the US get fixed through incentives, all stop.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I hate to tell you - our lawmakers can't find their hands from their ass. I was a public servant for almost a decade across environmental, transportation and maritime policy. Shit was the same in 2012 as it is now...useless and driven by personal ideology not the ideology of their constituents.

EA's problems in the US get fixed through incentives, all stop.
Interesting, so that option is out! :lipssealed:

While I am not a proponent of regulation generally, it does serve a purpose for common societal needs, such as providing electricity etc.
I do believe that public utility regulation is required to standardize and promote a reliable charging infrastructure.
That's exactly what I mean. I am not into big government at all. But certain markets only function or function much better with a good regulatory framework.
Sponsored