Here’s the perf+ dilemma again. Read use case before voting.

Given the use case I would…

• Total voters

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Exactly. Can’t comment on Belgium, but in the US you’d likely get your money back when you sell your Taycan w the PB+
What makes you think so? I've been observing used EV prices and the extra battery seems to depreciate together with the rest of the car, meaning you only get some portion of the money back (just like the rest of the car). Tesla had a $3K "5KWh" range upgrade on Model S/X back in 2016, today, even with the crazy used car market, you'd be lucky if you got $1,000 more for the car with the upgrade vs. no upgrade.
Sponsored

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
Hi

I live in Belgium where distances are short compared to US or any other country for that matter (apart from Luxemburg maybe).

My client base is located in Flanders. Which is like the top half of the country.

Given the fact that we will use the family car to travel (once a year)

Would you in this case still invest in the battery plus option or not?

If not would you (partially) use the extra on options like rear axle steering or other practical options?
Always buy the battery plus, it’s an option for a normal taycan, but std for ct.
i live in flanders and for sure you need the bigger battery. Also for resale price alone. I have in 4 months, 18000 km’s driven with my ct. sometimes i still take the panamera hybrid or something else.
but my advice to you, take the big battery.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
In 3-5 years, when 500 miles becomes the norm, no one will care whether your 2022 Taycan has the PB or PB+ option specified. You very likely won’t be getting that difference back at sale.
You are right on the money Detansinn. These uber cool Taycans we are driving are very much 1st gen EVs. Battery tech is going to be changing fast over the next 3-5 years and I'm afraid 250 miles (+ or -) of range will be a joke. Good luck to folks who think they are future-proofing their rides by adding 30 miles of range.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
100 Km a day about 3 days a week. Other days less than that. Some days I don’t need to drive at all.
Small battery has at least 300km range. I think you should be fine.

I don't quite get the whole "resale value" argument. Normally it is very hard to get much money back on any option for a car, and adding only another 50km range wouldn't future proof the vehicle.

For what it is, I find the price for the big battery not to be worth it for my use case. I can't speak for everyone though.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Agreed…but if I’m forced to select between battery and RAS, I’m with RAS.
Rear Axle Steering is a GAME CHANGER. This is a big car. I assume in your country you have tight spaces. The car nearly spins in place as you turn the wheel. It makes taking turns easier and tighter and allows you to change lanes on the freeway faster. In other words, there are benefits at all speeds, and parking in tight spots?! Don't get me started on that....

You will NOT regret this option. You're welcome!

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
The range question is interesting. Like the OP, I don't drive long distances very often. Yet I wondered how much difference the larger battery would make on these occasional long journeys. The answer turns out to be 'not much':
  • Using www.abetterrouteplanner.com, I compared the plans for an 874k trip from Sydney to Melbourne - one plan for PB and another for PB+
    • PB+: 9hr 48min journey including 4 charging stops for a total charging time of 51 minutes
    • PB: 10hr 0min journey including 4 stops for a total charing time of 63 minutes
  • So that's a 12 minute difference on a 10hr journey... and for sure I would stop for longer than 63 minutes on a 10hr journey anyway so in practical terms there may not be a difference
  • I then tried a shorter route - Sydney to Canberra (285km). The difference is 1 minute!
  • (I'm assuming that the route planner works - I have no way of checking it.)
The PB v PB+ ledger is thus as follows:
  • For the PB+ (given how I drive): Maybe save 30 minutes of charging in a year
  • For the PB: Lighter = better handling; lower up-front cost = probably lower $ depreciation
  • ...and if some of the cost saving is invested in (say) Rear Axle Steering: More fun every time you turn the steering wheel

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
What makes you think so? I've been observing used EV prices and the extra battery seems to depreciate together with the rest of the car, meaning you only get some portion of the money back (just like the rest of the car). Tesla had a $3K "5KWh" range upgrade on Model S/X back in 2016, today, even with the crazy used car market, you'd be lucky if you got $1,000 more for the car with the upgrade vs. no upgrade.
If you get your car on PCP in the UK, my sales adviser stated that the guaranteed future value for the PB+ option is about 50% after 4 years.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
If you get your car on PCP in the UK, my sales adviser stated that the guaranteed future value for the PB+ option is about 50% after 4 years.
Sorry, I am not familiar with PCP. Assuming this is like a lease in the USA, with PB+ option having 50% residual value after 4 years, that means that if you spec this option, you will only get half the money you put into it after 4 years, minus the interest paid on the PB+ value. In order words, you will never get the full PB+ price back, therefore if you will never use it, it's not financially worth while to buy it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I ordered a CT which has the bigger battery as standard but it is of little use to me, with calculations like @DL_AU has done it makes little sense to carry all that dead weight around all the time.

I have chosen options on the basis of whether I consider them good, or acceptable, value for money, not building up to a budget, and surprisingly few look good value for me based on my experience with other cars :(

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Like Frank have the CT so academic but if I had the saloon I'd go for the PB+, unlike Frank. Using the Porsche range planner (just for repeatable numbers) then at 100% motorway in Eco Plus with 20@ Aero wheels then it is 210 vs 244.

Some have said "its only 30 miles". Also if using an ABRP road trip optimised journey as per David then its about charge rate vs capacity. Oh to live in that wonderful world of reliable, available, perfectly spaced chargers. For me I'd rather have that extra 16% range to either not need public charging on some trips, have 30 odd miles in the bank when there is a queue for the chargers ABRP sent me to (or they are offline) or simply enjoy the car's performance that bit more on a 200 mile trip.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
You might not need the extra range but the person buying it off you could. If so they are not buying your car. Equally you should not spec a car for the next buyer. The question is "do I want max range?" for a Taycan. If yes buy it if no don't. I went for it and it is a lease. I also don't have a home charger so I needed to max my range. If money was tight and I had a home charger I probably would not have bothered give it's a town runabout car.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Small battery has at least 300km range. I think you should be fine.
In winter, CT with big battery I had 306km at 100% on highway.
So no I wasn’t able to reach Paris in one go for example.
And when you recharge you never go to 100% and stop at 85-90 max, so if the charging stations are not well placed or full, the big battery allows you to go further to another one instead of stressing and waiting.
Sponsored