Hiding dashcam wires

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Hi

I will be plugging a dashcam into the front cigarette lighter and I was wondering on what would be the best method to try and conceal the power cable. In my older cars, I usually just hid the wire underneath the 'trim' (if that is the correct word, it is a sort of plastic/rubber material) however the Taycan's trims are solid plastic so I cannot lift them.
Sponsored

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I connected my radar detector to the rear cigarette lighter and ran the wire looped around the hand holds above the doors. You can barely tell the wire is there.

OP
OP

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Thank you! Could you send me any photos of this setup? It will help me a lot with setting up my dashcam.

Last edited:

GlasgowTaycanCT

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S ordered, LR Discovery, i8, Macan
Country flag
I don't actually know where the fuse box in the Taycan, but if its under the dash then why not wire it directly to the fuse box rather that the cigarette lighter? It's really simple. And really tidy

OP
OP

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Haha I'm struggling to spot it, would you be able to show whereabouts you have taken it from?

OP
OP

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Does wiring the dashcam from the fusebox void the warranty?

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Last night whilst travelling to get a takeaway (50mph road) a mini on the opposite side of the road was indicating to turn into his drive/private lane, cutting across my path. As I was approaching at about 45mph a L200 type car came around the bend at full speed slammed on his breaks then decided he was going to go around the mini that was indicating, which meant he was on my side of the road aiming head on towards me, doing at least 30/40mph.. he then spotted me, I had come to a stop at this point as I had clocked what was happening way ahead of time. He actually ended up going into the same drive where the mini wanted to turn... the poor guy in the mini must had been terrified to see this thing in his rear mirror not stopping. I bet he had a few choice words when he pulled down is private road into his drive. I know I would have.

After that, I’ve decided whatever the legalities of warranty are, I’m sticking my dash cam back into Webber.

OP
OP

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Wow that's annoying! Dashcams definitely do protect you with silly drivers like these. How would you go on about trying to conceal the wire?

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wow that's annoying! Dashcams definitely do protect you with silly drivers like these. How would you go on about trying to conceal the wire?
I’d probably do the same as my Panamera. Connect to the fuse box with a piggyback connector and use the weather seals on the door to hide the wire. I’ve had no issues with the Panamera, I’m more cautious with the Taycan purely because I feel it has more electronics to go wrong......

OP
OP

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Yep I was thinking the same too. I am thinking of just powering it with the cigarette lighter as I don't think I will ever need to power anything else into that port.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It’s much neater solution if you can hardwire it.. worth the effort I think.
Sponsored