High amount of second hand Taycans on the market ?

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Maybe it is a local thing, but I have the impression there is a relatively high amount of Taycan's available on the second hand market in Belgium.
Most of them about 1 year old, 10000 to 15000 km. Big majority is 4S sedan in dark grey or black.
It could be a bit worrying for the resale value.
Maybe an indication of unhappy customers ? People you want to try an EV or a Porsche and conclude after one year that they are not happy with it ?
Is this the same in your area ?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Maybe it is a local thing, but I have the impression there is a relatively high amount of Taycan's available on the second hand market in Belgium.
Most of them about 1 year old, 10000 to 15000 km. Big majority is 4S sedan in dark grey or black.
It could be a bit worrying for the resale value.
Maybe an indication of unhappy customers ? People you want to try an EV or a Porsche and conclude after one year that they are not happy with it ?
Is this the same in your area ?
As of this morning there are 80 Taycans for sale in UK from official Porsche dealerships. Some of these will be demo cars and not for immediate sale.

Porsche Taycan High amount of second hand Taycans on the market ? 1641890433793

Normal volumes I'd say given the demand and wait times.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Also think that maybe some of the first generation Taycans had some problems. I was happy with the car but not with the generation so I sold my old one and just got delivered a new one... :like:

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I think the reason is simple - prices are so HIGH in the second hand market that people are taking advantage and selling. Maybe they have ordered a new one or are renting - but I did the same with the DB11 - sell at height of market, lease for 6 months whilst the Taycan is being built. Have been monitoring used for last 6 months and something similar to spec I want with 5-10k miles would cost MORE than new. Crazy times.

OP
OP

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I keep an eye on Auto Trader in the UK.

Even the oldest/cheapest ones seem to be going above retail..
Why is that ? Do people prefer to buy a second hand car instead of waiting 10 months ?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Why is that ? Do people prefer to buy a second hand car instead of waiting 10 months ?
I don't. I waited ~7 weeks from order to delivery for my 2021 RWD. In today's crazy market, a pre-owned car would have been 15-20% higher in price and no used car available will be to my exact spec. Plus a year old already.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
According to the UK TV programme Fifth Gear: Recharged last week, they did a piece on used car values.

They specifically selected the Taycan as an example of people being offered up to a 20% premium when they leave the showroom.

Its a new model, so that will obv filter down to all used prices it seems.

My own thoughts are that 85% of cars are purchased on PCP in the UK, with owners treating them like a lease and just turning over to a new car every few years.

This time the music stopped....! and people couldn't get hold of a new model. As they had to give their old car back, they had no option but to go used.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I think the reason is simple - prices are so HIGH in the second hand market that people are taking advantage and selling. Maybe they have ordered a new one or are renting - but I did the same with the DB11 - sell at height of market, lease for 6 months whilst the Taycan is being built. Have been monitoring used for last 6 months and something similar to spec I want with 5-10k miles would cost MORE than new. Crazy times.
+1. That's the reason I turned in my 4S, dealer was happy to take it back and cut me a check.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm really considering selling mine to order a new one in Guards Red. I think about this a lot.

Also to get a few options I didn't get on this spec car, such as the power charge ports.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Some people can't wait due to leasing arrangements and are being bought out by their lease company with cash so that the owner can purchase another car. This is pushing 2nd hand values upwards - lesser marques are seeing higher premiums (30% in some cases compared to normal times) than Porsches.

So not everyone can wait for these and other reasons.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Something to consider in the US, if you sell yours now, the next one prolly won’t be eligible for a tax credit.

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
I'm in Canada - there are 27 Taycans listed for resale, not sure the split between 2020 or 2021 - I'd say slim pickings in Canada for a used Taycan.

frietzak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Seems that you can't compare US to Europe. If i check one of the biggest website for buying a second hand car, i get 100+ results for Taycan in Belgium, 400 in Germany.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Seems that you can't compare US to Europe. If i check one of the biggest website for buying a second hand car, i get 100+ results for Taycan in Belgium, 400 in Germany.
Many websites advertise the same vehicle creating the impression that there are many more than there actually are - true in UK and I expect further afield.
Sponsored