High Gloss Sport Design Pack or Matte?

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
Hi

I’m pretty much set on my 4S spec but am having concerns about whether to get the sport design pack in high gloss or not. I read somewhere they scratch really easily.

Any views? The car is going to be Gentian Blue with Black/Crayon leather and black high gloss window surrounds and privacy glass etc.

Thanks
David
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hi

I’m pretty much set on my 4S spec but am having concerns about whether to get the sport design pack in high gloss or not. I read somewhere they scratch really easily.

Any views? The car is going to be Gentian Blue with Black/Crayon leather and black high gloss window surrounds and privacy glass etc.

Thanks
David
DO NOT get the high gloss exterior package. I was thinking of getting it because I like the look of the gloss black around the windows and brakes thought this would integrate better. But, after seeing a show car in Frankfurt (lots of usage in and out), the running boards were terribly scratched. The carbon fiber looked great, so definitely I would go with that. Especially since at least in the US, the price is equal for both.

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
DO NOT get the high gloss exterior package. I was thinking of getting it because I like the look of the gloss black around the windows and brakes thought this would integrate better. But, after seeing a show car in Frankfurt (lots of usage in and out), the running boards were terribly scratched. The carbon fiber looked great, so definitely I would go with that. Especially since at least in the US, the price is equal for both.
Hi

thanks for the quick response. On the U.K. configurator carbon doesn’t seem to be an option - just high gloss black or partly body coloured (which we don’t like as much especially at the rear of the car). I’ll check with the dealer whether there are other options. Or is getting the black gloss parts covered in PPF a viable option?

cheers
David

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Or is getting the black gloss parts covered in PPF a viable option?
Certainly an (aftermarket) option, or perhaps another better option for these locations would be an invisible scratch resistant ceramic coating like Ceramic Pro 9H

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've only got a week to freeze my build, and still have the "Exterior package in high gloss black" on it. Vim - thanks for your input on this! I'm still hoping there's a way to get it to work though. Other than the scratches on the running boards you saw, it seems like the high gloss under the bumper on the front would take a beating as well. Does anyone have experience with that Ceramic Pro stuff? Would that work? Is that something that's DIY, or would one get a body shop to do it. Or, what about that plastic "bra" stuff? I've always had that on my cars. Wouldn't that help? Seems like they could put it on the running boards as well.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've only got a week to freeze my build, and still have the "Exterior package in high gloss black" on it. Vim - thanks for your input on this! I'm still hoping there's a way to get it to work though. Other than the scratches on the running boards you saw, it seems like the high gloss under the bumper on the front would take a beating as well. Does anyone have experience with that Ceramic Pro stuff? Would that work? Is that something that's DIY, or would one get a body shop to do it. Or, what about that plastic "bra" stuff? I've always had that on my cars. Wouldn't that help? Seems like they could put it on the running boards as well.
Actually - I hadn't thought about just putting a protective film on the glossy black parts. I believe that would work.

sneksis911

First Name
Wald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT, XC90R
Country flag
Not a lot of people will be entering my Taycan in the back and stepping on the skirts... Once at best ;)

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not a lot of people will be entering my Taycan in the back and stepping on the skirts... Once at best ;)
It doesn't matter where they enter, you will see many scratches on glossy black exterior running boards. Guaranteed. One other option is to polish them out - that does appear to work if they're not too bad. But, it's a fair amount of work and maintenance.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Easily prevented with Ceramic coating or Paint Protection Film. High gloss black trim has existed on plenty of other Porsche/Audi/BMW vehicles as a default or optional item for several years now.

I think people are turning this into unnecessary drama. The show Taycans on display are abused by the public and journalists and get used much differently than how we use and treat our private Taycans.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Plus car show lighting is extremely bright, and will show things on horizontal surfaces more than you'll probably see in ambient light.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Easily prevented with Ceramic coating or Paint Protection Film. High gloss black trim has existed on plenty of other Porsche/Audi/BMW vehicles as a default or optional item for several years now.

I think people are turning this into unnecessary drama. The show Taycans on display are abused by the public and journalists and get used much differently than how we use and treat our private Taycans.
Yes, I would definitely put some kind of protection on it. And yes, show cars are 'abused' etc., and the lighting shows things. The carbon fiber standard option looked fine in the light, with the abuse, the gloss did not. But, I'm also a bit picky about how my black looks, and just can't stand looking at scratches and swirls.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The carbon fiber standard option looked fine in the light, with the abuse, the gloss did not.
It is present on the CF too, but because of the carbon fiber pattern underneath the clear coat with the fine scratches in it your eye can't perceive it. The pure black of the high gloss option allows for your eye to see the scratches in it's clear coat. The show cars could be brought back to a new finish with an orbital buffer and polish so it's not the end of the world and the high gloss option looks much better than the flat black plastic on the 4S and I don't care for the standard body color painted option that is included on the Turbo.

What's that expression....An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?

Right after I take deliver of my Taycan Turbo it will be getting PPF on the front bumper, front fenders, hood and mirrors. The high gloss black on the front bumper is included in the front bumper piece.

The rest of the exposed paint including the high gloss black on the side skirts and rear bumper will get Ceramic Pro 9H.
Sponsored