NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Don't think it would be possible. The Tesla Superchargers get the car's VIN over the SuperCharger connection. I'm guessing it would refuse to charge a non-Tesla vehicle. Then again, someone could call out Elon on his "I'm not here to make a profit, I'm here to enable a transition to an all EV future" statement and ask him to back it up with actions - allow SuperChargers to charge non-Tesla vehicles.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’m not saying this could be done without Tesla’s co-operation - as you note it would require Tesla to recognize the vehicle for billing information and other information - but I can still hope can’t I?

or the adapter could provide the information - and you register it with Tesla…all part of the service :giggle:

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
In europe the Tesla superchargers have the regular plug that fits most EVs (incl Taycan) and it does not let you charge. Recently though any EV was able to charge at superchargers for a day. Tesla said it was a bug. It was coincidently at the same day or day after when Elon was visiting Volkswagen in germany. Technically its possible. My guess is that Tesla at some point will let anyone charge.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
https://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/

now all we need is the other way around…a Tesla to CCS adapter in North America so Taycan’s could use Tesla Superchargers…
at this point in time this would be impossible. any talk like this shows a lack of understand of how the tesla vehicles interact with the supercharging network.
without getting overly wonky the supercharger will authenticate the car and allowing charging to commence. Non tesla vehicles cannot complete the "handshake"

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
In europe the Tesla superchargers have the regular plug that fits most EVs (incl Taycan) and it does not let you charge. Recently though any EV was able to charge at superchargers for a day. Tesla said it was a bug. It was coincidently at the same day or day after when Elon was visiting Volkswagen in germany. Technically its possible. My guess is that Tesla at some point will let anyone charge.
in europe, because tesla uses the ccs system it theoretically could be possible for non telsas to use the superchargers. it could be as simple as a software change to allow it. here in the US tesla uses their own in house charger format on the superchargers.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I think so too. Now the exclusive Tesla network is still an incentive to buy a Tesla, but as generic charging stations become more widespread there will be a tipping point when it becomes more appealing for Tesla to treat its network as a universal profit center for as many cars as possible.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Don't think it would be possible. The Tesla Superchargers get the car's VIN over the SuperCharger connection. I'm guessing it would refuse to charge a non-Tesla vehicle. Then again, someone could call out Elon on his "I'm not here to make a profit, I'm here to enable a transition to an all EV future" statement and ask him to back it up with actions - allow SuperChargers to charge non-Tesla vehicles.
Tesla has offered this numerous times. The other manufacturers need to pay for their portion of use and do some integration work. So far, outside of some testing in Europe, none of the other manufacturers have taken Elon/Tesla up on it. This is NOT Tesla’s fault.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
https://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/

now all we need is the other way around…a Tesla to CCS adapter in North America so Taycan’s could use Tesla Superchargers…
Not needed in UK as the European Commission insisted on standardisation a while back and told Tesla to support CCS or ship out...which they did / have and so we have CCS as the standard for charging connector.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Tesla has offered this numerous times. The other manufacturers need to pay for their portion of use and do some integration work. So far, outside of some testing in Europe, none of the other manufacturers have taken Elon/Tesla up on it. This is NOT Tesla’s fault.
This is not the full and complete picture. From everything I have seen this is more "smoke and mirrors" than a real offer. It is good PR stunt, but take a look here. Musk has no incentive or real desire to open up a charging network that is a major selling point to others. I don't blame him.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35030461/why-other-car-companies-dont-use-tesla-superchargers/

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
This is not the full and complete picture. From everything I have seen this is more "smoke and mirrors" than a real offer. It is good PR stunt, but take a look here. Musk has no incentive or real desire to open up a charging network that is a major selling point to others. I don't blame him.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35030461/why-other-car-companies-dont-use-tesla-superchargers/
there is the profit motive, if other EV companies were to adapt their cars to use the tesla superchargers Elon could charge those companies a royalty fee for each car sold.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
there is the profit motive, if other EV companies were to adapt their cars to use the tesla superchargers Elon could charge those companies a royalty fee for each car sold.
yes there is, and people have pointed out it can be a profit center for Tesla. but he must still calculate that a closed network with sone vague PR stunt is more valuable right now.
Sponsored