hmmm - my lovely Taycan is limited to 220 miles range - [Edit] I think it's the tires…

tcara

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello all, living in the Nashville TN area and have noticed I am only getting 220 miles on a full charge. I have a 21 4S with just over 5k miles, never track the car and most of the time I drive like an old man. I average 60 miles a day and charge at home when get down to under 40% with it set to 85%.

Last week I drove from Nashville to Atlanta roughly 600 mile round trip. When I arrived home fully charged it to 85% and hit 175 miles and for the last week it has not changed. Was not thinking much of it thinking I was driving at some higher speeds then normal as well with non stop driving for a few hours at at time which is not the norm and figured it would start to get Mack to normal as it released my driving.

I have not seen any changes in miles and starting to get concerned knowing as it gets colder it will not get any better. Thoughts?

On a side note most of the time my AC is in Eco mode or off as I am always concerned about range.
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Hello all, living in the Nashville TN area and have noticed I am only getting 220 miles on a full charge. I have a 21 4S with just over 5k miles, never track the car and most of the time I drive like an old man. I average 60 miles a day and charge at home when get down to under 40% with it set to 85%.

Last week I drove from Nashville to Atlanta roughly 600 mile round trip. When I arrived home fully charged it to 85% and hit 175 miles and for the last week it has not changed. Was not thinking much of it thinking I was driving at some higher speeds then normal as well with non stop driving for a few hours at at time which is not the norm and figured it would start to get Mack to normal as it released my driving.

I have not seen any changes in miles and starting to get concerned knowing as it gets colder it will not get any better. Thoughts?

On a side note most of the time my AC is in Eco mode or off as I am always concerned about range.
Do you have the plus/larger battery? Which size wheels do you have? Is the "full charge" which only gives you 220 miles 100% SoC or 80/85% SoC?

tcara

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have the plus/larger battery? Which size wheels do you have? Is the "full charge" which only gives you 220 miles 100% SoC or 80/85% SoC?

I have the 21” mission E wheels, original to the car and do not have the larger battery.

Prior to the long drive I was consistently getting 265 miles to a full charge.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have the 21” mission E wheels, original to the car and do not have the larger battery.

did you actually drive 265 miles? or was that the center computer‘s estimate? summer or all season tires?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

265 miles for the smaller battery with 21” Mission E wheels seems very decent and the drop to 220 miles (projected?) sounds significant. Might it be that your recent trip temporarily influenced the guess-o-meter downwards and that your “normal” use afterwards will gradually bring it back up? Of course, it is starting to get colder, so 265 miles may not be in the cards again until next spring…

Last edited:

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
I have a March ‘21 Taycan S with the performance battery. Latterly, on 100% charge, the range has been 249 miles on its two most recent charges. A couple of months ago it was a minimum of 270 miles and I had one reading of 284 miles.

The change in temperature has not been that great over the past few months, so why the huge drop ?

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
I have a March ‘21 Taycan S with the performance battery. Latterly, on 100% charge, the range has been 249 miles on its two most recent charges. A couple of months ago it was a minimum of 270 miles and I had one reading of 284 miles.

The change in temperature has not been that great over the past few months, so why the huge drop ?
Change in your recent driving habits.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

I found out last year that a small drop in temperature in the UK causes a huge drop-off in range. Same has happened this year. Partly to do with the high humidity we get over here early Winter. I had around 270-290 miles of range in July/August, now down to around 225-250 in October. That's with the big battery. You'll also find that damp conditions affect range greatly. I'm expecting 180-220 again when it gets really cold. It is amazing how very small changes in environment cause quite stark differences in range. It is also exacerbated in the Winter if you are taking lots of short journeys, since a load of power is used up each time to warm the battery up at the start, and you don't get the benefit of the warmer battery with the short journey.

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
I haven’t changed my driving habits, so it’s not that, Needsdecaf.

However, Doc B’s explanation would appear to answer the question. It’ll be interesting to see if I have the same experience as you when it gets cold. It really is an amazing difference.

Thank you, both.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I found out last year that a small drop in temperature in the UK causes a huge drop-off in range. Same has happened this year. Partly to do with the high humidity we get over here early Winter. I had around 270-290 miles of range in July/August, now down to around 225-250 in October. That's with the big battery. You'll also find that damp conditions affect range greatly. I'm expecting 180-220 again when it gets really cold. It is amazing how very small changes in environment cause quite stark differences in range. It is also exacerbated in the Winter if you are taking lots of short journeys, since a load of power is used up each time to warm the battery up at the start, and you don't get the benefit of the warmer battery with the short journey.
Cold kills range. I'm thinking I will be at 150 miles @ 85% this winter.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Cold kills range. I'm thinking I will be at 150 miles @ 85% this winter.
I bet you center in around 180 miles at 85% in the winter - except on the coldest days IL can throw at you. Based on one year of winter ownership of a Turbo with 21" wheels in [the albeit significantly warmer more southern latitude of] NC.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I bet you center in around 180 miles at 85% in the winter - except on the coldest days IL can throw at you. Based on one year of winter ownership of a Turbo with 21" wheels in [the albeit significantly warmer more southern latitude of] NC.
Would be nice to have a range of 180 miles at 85%. I also have a Turbo with 21 inch wheels, and normally have a range of 400 km + at 100%, in summer time. And I use the recommended tyre pressure for 21 inch wheels as per the measurements in the car.

Now being in Sweden with temperatures about 10 degrees C ( 50 F ?) I only achieve about 330 km (205 miles) at 100%! I have been surprised that the range fell so much by having 15 degrees C lower temperature than normal. And I have not changed tyres, still on the Eagle F1 that the car was delivered with.

I will have to check the range once we return home again, but for now I am a bit surprised and concerned. I had hoped to use the Taycan for ski trips in January, February. And if range falls even further, it will be a challenge with finding HPC stations. They are not that closely positioned as yet.

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
Only 225 miles on a full charge today, which is a record low - 20% less than my top figure of 281 miles back in Summer.

Had some big problems last week in Scotland. Firstly, ZapMap indicated there was a charging point in West Linton - there wasn’t and secondly, the Porsche SatNav indicated there were several points in the City centre - they didn’t exist !

So a bit shout to Peter Vardy Mini, Edinburgh, where I arrived with TWO miles range. They allowed me to charge up for half an hour free of charge, so I could limp to Porsche Edinburgh. They even brought me out a cup of coffee whilst I was waiting….

The new rapid charger at the Porsche Centre was fantastically quick, but I had to cancel an appointment due to the duff information received.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
180 would be pretty good in winter weather. I have seen as low as 146 so far this season as a low (@85% charge).

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my consumption is still above 350 wh/mile - and this consumption change corrsponds with the last software update - the latest update seems to admit they made a mistake - and will fix this problem

I"m looking forward to the new update to see if it restores the range back to the 250-270 mile I used to get prior to the previous update and my tire swap…
Sponsored