hmmm - my lovely Taycan is limited to 220 miles range - [Edit] I think it's the tires…

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Do you have diamonds in your cup holder? I didn't see that option.

Similar. 2021 RWD standard battery 3,400 miles 27.7 KWh / 100 miles Still pretty warm here so I don't know how much this will drop when it cools off.
20210929_072731.jpg

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Do you have diamonds in your cup holder? I didn't see that option.
Yes, cup holder bling my wife found and "installed" . Definitely increases range as demonstrated in the pic.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm driving a 4S loaner now with the standard battery and it has creeped up a bit recently from 175-180 at 80% to 185-189 at 80%. (I've had the car a couple months)
You’ve had the loaner for a couple of months?!?

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
FWIW, my car (2020 4S PBP) shows between 255-262 miles with an 85% charge and right now with 71% charge it shows 217 miles

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My home charger keeps a record of how many kWh it has supplied to the car, so I will be able to make an estimate of battery condition based on change in % charge against kWh supplied.
I must remember to set up a spread sheet to follow it from when the new one arrives.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you tried doing the engineering reset? (reset: Two fingers, top right of screen, hold until it resets). Note, that resets all your settings and apple login, etc.

It may take some miles for it then to re-calibrate.

It sounds either like a measurement problem or a bad module. Maybe the reset can fix the first.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
The other thing that is interesting is if you turn off the AC my 235miles at 85% jumps immediately to 260.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
The other thing that is interesting is if you turn off the AC my 235miles at 85% jumps immediately to 260.
if you are not using the ECO air conditioning setting try it...improves range and works quite well

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Team,

I’ve been driving a Taycan since July 2020 - I’ve made multiple trips in it and often drive long distances - recently my Taycan has stubbornly reported 220 miles range as it’s full charge limit - much lower than I’ve experience in the past - actual driving and battery % confirm that limit - and I’m well aware of the range estimates inaccuracies in it’s distance estiamtes due to recent driving skewing the numbers - consumption has been moderate to ideal and I’ve driven more than 220 miles in the past…

I’m wondering if anyone else has recently noticed their maximum range being limited and/or perhaps this is a change with recent software…

my Taycan is sitting in my garage right now @ 85% SOC and estimated range of 185 miles - that equates to 217.64 miles 100% range - I’m wondering if I should take it to my dealership and have them check the battery…
I have a Turbo S and max range I ever had was 242 miles @ 100%

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I haven't got mine yet but had noticed that going to eco A/C made the biggest difference to range of all the settings one can change on the range calculator, from 345 to 396 km, A/C off increases it further to 412 km.
Here in the UK I hardly ever put A/C or heating on in my cars so it augurs well for most of my road trips!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I've canceled my service appointment - I don't think the battery capacity has changed - calculations shown below:

Green Cells are "data entered manually"
Blue Cells are "calculations from the manual data"

Porsche Taycan hmmm - my lovely Taycan is limited to 220 miles range - [Edit] I think it's the tires… Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 10.35.00 AM

conclusion I'm getting 2.7 mi/kWh - which exactly equals 224 miles of range at that consumption rate - I recently moved from Factory Continental All Seasons to Goodyear Eagle F1 tired (N
F0)
- the Goodyears should be a sticker tire - so that may account for the consumption numbers.

in any case my charging sessions data indicated a usable battery capacity of 83.76 vs. 84.3 stated by Porsche which is a 0.77% loss of capacity

I'm going to keep more data and keep checking it - but for now I'm blaming the tires and increased consumption.

my consumption is pretty clearly 2.7 mile/kWh - which means maximum range calculates out to 224 - range isn't going to get better until I get my consumption numbers to be better.

in any case this is some pretty good data regarding the sort of range I'm seeing with the Goodyear F1 tires for Taycan - pretty heft range hit IMHO - may not be worth it for the extra sticky…

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I've canceled my service appointment - I don't think the battery capacity has changed - calculations shown below:

View attachment 22108

conclusion I'm getting 2.7 mi/kWh - which exactly equals 224 miles of range at that consumption rate - I recently moved from Factory Continental All Seasons to Goodyear Eagle F1 tired (N
F0) - the Goodyears should be a sticker tire - so that may account for the consumption numbers.

in any case my charging sessions data indicated a usable battery capacity of 83.76 vs. 84.3 stated by Porsche which is a 0.77% loss of capacity

I'm going to keep more data and keep checking it - but for now I'm blaming the tires and increased consumption.

my consumption is pretty clearly 2.7 mile/kWh - which means maximum range calculates out to 224 - range isn't going to get better until I get my consumption numbers to be better.

in any case this is some pretty good data regarding the sort of range I'm seeing with the Goodyear F1 tires for Taycan - pretty heft range hit IMHO - may not be worth it for the extra sticky…
Happy to hear that there is an apparently rational explanation. IMHO the range/consumption penalty that comes with these new tires is not worth whatever gain in road adhesion is offered.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
IMHO the range/consumption penalty that comes with these new tires is not worth whatever gain in road adhesion is offered.
based on this data I 100% agree - I'll be getting the all seasons for my next set of tires - based on more than adequate grip and the apparent improved range.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Not that we have apples to apples, but my Tesla model Y on my most recent charge got:

83% down to 42%
Miles driven: 85.8
Reported energy consumption: 240 watts per mile
Calculated range: 209 miles

Pretty poor considering when I bought the car, Tesla claimed the range was 313 miles. And I don't drive all that fast or far (I drive maybe 30 miles a day).

But since I only charge my car once a week, I've always wondered if Tesla has a large loss of range over night which might account for the lousy range I get.
Sponsored