hmmm - my lovely Taycan is limited to 220 miles range - [Edit] I think it's the tires…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Team,

I’ve been driving a Taycan since July 2020 - I’ve made multiple trips in it and often drive long distances - recently my Taycan has stubbornly reported 220 miles range as it’s full charge limit - much lower than I’ve experience in the past - actual driving and battery % confirm that limit - and I’m well aware of the range estimates inaccuracies in it’s distance estiamtes due to recent driving skewing the numbers - consumption has been moderate to ideal and I’ve driven more than 220 miles in the past…

I’m wondering if anyone else has recently noticed their maximum range being limited and/or perhaps this is a change with recent software…

my Taycan is sitting in my garage right now @ 85% SOC and estimated range of 185 miles - that equates to 217.64 miles 100% range - I’m wondering if I should take it to my dealership and have them check the battery…

10/01/2021 Edit: see post #75 - I think it's the tires based on charging/consumption calculations
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hmmm -review of historical documents (on this site) show that I’ve actually achieved more than 220 miles in real life - recent trips that I’ve taken have resulted in less actual range and by my estimates I’ve lost 50-70 miles actual range vs. a year ago…

I’ve schedule a service appointment for a battery diagnostic - Oct. 8th - we’ll see what Porsche says.

But my recent trip from/to Willows, CA resulted in 4% battery remaining (220 miles or less actual distance) - and driving below the speed limit in mild weather conditions.
that same trip 6 months ago resulted in 22% battery remaining with more spirtied driving on my way to/from the destination.

my 2020 Taycan seems to be down on battery capacity in less than 16,000 miles and less than 18 months.

hopefully Porsche can sort it out and will find an actual problem as opposed to shrugging their shoulders and suggesting there is no actual problem.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
That's actually bad news for all (early adopters) :eek:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
hmmm -review of historical documents (on this site) show that I’ve actually achieved more than 220 miles in real life - recent trips that I’ve taken have resulted in less actual range and by my estimates I’ve lost 50-70 miles actual range vs. a year ago…

I’ve schedule a service appointment for a battery diagnostic - Oct. 8th - we’ll see what Porsche says.

But my recent trip from to Willows, CA resulted in 4% battery remaining - and driving below the speed limit in mile weather conditions.
that same trip 6 months ago resulted in 22% battery remaining with more spitited driving on my way to the destination.

my 2020 Taycan seems to be down on battery capacity in less than 16,000 miles and less than 18 months.

hopefully Porsche can sort it out.
Very curious to hear what their analysis says - bit depressing if considered normal range attrition which hopefully it is not! I wonder if tracking the vehicle puts just enough additional stress on the battery 'wear' to account for some of this - seems a stretch to say the least and jumping the gun a bit here :).

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's actually bad news for all (early adopters) :eek:
I’m optimistic until porsche tells me there is nothing wrong with my battery and I’m just imagining things - then I’ll be more concerned…for now I’m not suggesting this is a fleet wide issue based on my sole data point.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very curious to hear what their analysis says - bit depressing if considered normal range attrition which hopefully it is not! I wonder if tracking the vehicle puts just enough additional stress on the battery 'wear' to account for some of this - seems a stretch to say the least and jumping the gun a bit here :).
3 track sessions at less than 50 min total track time in 18 months should not be the cause of this - and beside I accomplished longer trips _AFTER_ the track sessions no problem - this is a recent “limitation” in the past 30-45 days.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Sure. No panic.
But you are experienced owner... while I'm still under first 1k km, so i'm wondering what I can expect in ... in about 8 months ..

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
3 track sessions at less than 50 min total track time in 18 months should not be the cause of this - and beside I accomplished longer trips _AFTER_ the track sessions no problem - this is a recent “limitation” in the past 30-45 days.
As I said, getting ahead of the feedback from Porsche and just speculation with little merit :) Would be super interesting if the battery actually has an issue (not for you of course!) and how they might proceed to address it.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I said, getting ahead of the feedback from Porsche and just speculation with little merit :) Would be super interesting if the battery actually has an issue (not for you of course!) and how they might proceed to address it.
_IF_ it is an actual battery problem - and they take care of it via warranty I have will _NO_ issue or complaint - I’m more concerned of a fuzzy diagnostic, and while the battery appears to have some issues it doesn’t trigger a warranty issue and I’m suck in limbo land…

replacement battery is of no concern to me - lack of a confirmed diagnostic will be far more disconcerting in my opinion.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Take a read through your warranty booklet before going and ask for the net battery capacity as measured by the dealer.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
_IF_ it is an actual battery problem - and they take care of it via warranty I have will _NO_ issue or complaint - I’m more concerned of a fuzzy diagnostic, and while the battery appears to have some issues it doesn’t trigger a warranty issue and I’m suck in limbo land…

replacement battery is of no concern to me - lack of a confirmed diagnostic will be far more disconcerting in my opinion.
Based on my battery experience there is something askew with your car. I am 14 months/9,000 miles into my TT and the mileage actually keeps getting better. In the winter with cold and snow tires I was getting 230 miles per charge and this summer with summer tires and warm weather 280 miles is the average. When I'm back on snows in the cold I'll update this and look forward to your resolution.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Anything askew with your recent consumption? How does it compare to lifetime consumption or historical from when you took >200 mi trips in the past?

If consumption isn't an issue, clearly something battery related is going on, software or otherwise.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anything askew with your recent consumption? How does it compare to lifetime consumption or historical from when you took >200 mi trips in the past?

If consumption isn't an issue, clearly something battery related is going on, software or otherwise.
LOL - ever since the last update - my consumption metrics are no longer accurate - they provide accurate data for a bit - but eventually the mi/kwh number makes no sense (0.2 mi/kWh) - I noted it to my service manager right after the update last spring - he never got back to me.

so it’s hard to compare actual consumption

what I do know is from my trip reports posted on this forum - and I’m no longer completing 200 mile drives with more than 20% remaining battery…which used to be common for me.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Im only 2 months in but have done 8000km and range is going up - at approx 285 miles in last 100% charge. This is a CT4

Porsche Taycan hmmm - my lovely Taycan is limited to 220 miles range - [Edit] I think it's the tires… 9E9579C7-AE15-4889-94FB-D9362B4BC14F

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan hmmm - my lovely Taycan is limited to 220 miles range - [Edit] I think it's the tires… B94FF1D2-B766-4508-97A5-EBE3640E8417
here is my overnight charge right now…
Sponsored