First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamara Turbo, Honda NSX, Aston Vantage V12SRM, Aston Martin DBS
Country flag
Hello
I have a Turbo that I have had sine early December. I have had numerous issues and the car has been back to the dealer on many occassions for them to resolve the issues.
One problem that they have not been able to fix is the car losing the settings I have on the main screen. I set the main screen to show power level, music and sat Nav all on the one screen. It will remember these settings for sometimes up to a week with many stop starts and lockings, but then, sometimes when I get in the car, all those settings have gone and resorted back to "factory set". Also, the Ambient lighting that can be set to change with different music. I will switch this on, and it will be fine for a period of days, but once again, with no warning, it will turn itself off.
Does anyone else have these issues? Am I missing something on the set up ?
Sponsored

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Being in the UK I would say your problem lies with the tracker module most likely. My car had all sorts of pcm issues and it all came down strangely to the tracker module. Does your car often think it’s in theft mode?

OP
OP

qwick69

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamara Turbo, Honda NSX, Aston Vantage V12SRM, Aston Martin DBS
Country flag
No, but it does say tracker mode not available sometimes, together with contantly losing contact with my phone.

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Hello
I have a Turbo that I have had sine early December. I have had numerous issues and the car has been back to the dealer on many Occasion for them to resolve the issues.
One problem that they have not been able to fix is the car losing the settings I have on the main screen. I set the main screen to show power level, music and sat Nav all on the one screen. It will remember these settings for sometimes up to a week with many stop starts and lockings, but then, sometimes when I get in the car, all those settings have gone and resorted back to "factory set". Also, the Ambient lighting that can be set to change with different music. I will switch this on, and it will be fine for a period of days, but once again, with no warning, it will turn itself off.
I'm doing a risky shot here - wildly guessing.
You have got two Porsche keys.
The car setting follows the key that is being used. (fact, not guessed)
Association is being done on a "key last used" with specific profile (somehow) AND possibly at initial setup.
Might it something related to randomly use different keys, one being associated with your Porsche id, and the other (for whatsoever reason) with the hard-coded "Guest" account.
I did not test the "guest" thing, but my model (still possible wrong) is based on playing around with my spouses key and mine, each having their own Porsche account.
And the "guest" account assignment I did NOT test - but judging by your symptoms, this is how a guest account would be supposed to behave.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello
I have a Turbo that I have had sine early December. I have had numerous issues and the car has been back to the dealer on many occassions for them to resolve the issues.
Hi,

I left mine at the dealers this morning to have the rear spoiler adjusted (and a newly developed rear passenger nearside door squeak when opening) and noticed that 'My Screen' had been reset yet again so I mentioned that as I dropped the car off.

I thought these details were preserved as part of the Porsche Connect ID used as not all are stored via the key (as I've discovered). I'm sure it worked reliably for a while and I've had a tracker issue pertaining to the PVTS+ fob having lost its pairing (for 3 weeks undetected). Can't see that this could impact PCM / Porsche Connect ID behaviour but who knows!?

Dealing with a 1st world problem here...but, does knock the confidence in the technology once more :headbang:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Settings are stored in the cloud associated with the logged in Porsche ID. The last logged in Porsche ID is stored in the key when you exit the car (the blinking red Porsche crest on the key tells you the key is saving data). If two keys were in range of the car when leaving or starting this could be an issue. I don't know but would assume the car targets a specific key for writing vs. a broadcast write that would affect any key in range. Now all that said, not every setting possible is saved - only certain PCM settings. Some other settings (even those done through the PCM) that are stored in other modules - e.g. the suspension and body control module or instrument cluster - may not be saved, while others (e.g. seat position) are saved. Follow all that? Perfectly clear?

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Settings are stored in the cloud associated with the logged in Porsche ID. The last logged in Porsche ID is stored in the key when you exit the car (the blinking red Porsche crest on the key tells you the key is saving data). If two keys were in range of the car when leaving or starting this could be an issue. I don't know but would assume the car targets a specific key for writing vs. a broadcast write that would affect any key in range. Now all that said, not every setting possible is saved - only certain PCM settings. Some other settings (even those done through the PCM) that are stored in other modules - e.g. the suspension and body control module or instrument cluster - may not be saved, while others (e.g. seat position) are saved. Follow all that? Perfectly clear?
Not as it would make any difference here - but an alternate model could be, that the whatsoever Unique Key ID is stored together with the PCM/Cloud data vector of an account, and whenever this Unique Key activates the car, the corresponding account (AKO profile) is being picked.
Would yield a very similar effect as "writing" to the key - where as "writing" in this context would require a way more complex bi-directional communication's.
In compliance with Occam's razor, this might be also a favorable model.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not as it would make any difference here - but an alternate model could be, that the whatsoever Unique Key ID is stored together with the PCM/Cloud data vector of an account, and whenever this Unique Key activates the car, the corresponding account (AKO profile) is being picked.
Would yield a very similar effect as "writing" to the key - where as "writing" in this context would require a way more complex bi-directional communication's.
In compliance with Occam's razor, this might be also a favorable model.
Yes however the intent with saving the last logged in user to the key is that if you then go to a different vehicle for which you are also an authorized user, your settings "go" with you (because your key tells that car what user you are and that car pulls your settings from the cloud. This is how it is designed to work even though most of us don't have more than one vehicle in our stable using Porsche's new platform. So you see the added complexity without the benefit.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
@NC_Taycan - In my case no other key has been present and so another "feature" of the PCM / Key manifests itself. I mentioned to the dealer also this morning so I'll see what words of wisdom they can offer, if any.

I've also been through the pain of resetting my PCM back to defaults expecting all will be fine as the details will be stored in the cloud as you mention...reality is different, some but not all settings are restored and over time you figure out which.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
It seems like the car will load default settings if it cannot connect to the Porsche PCM servers, as often happens, when you unlock the car. I often have to go back in and set the main screen to show temp instead of a clock, ambient light, and also audio settings.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have seen this as well. It takes a while to establish a PCM data connection anyway so the last settings the car saved for the user are loaded - only if something is different in the user's cloud profile (Porsche ID) is that setting reflected after the PCM data connection is established. I am the only driver (my wife still disapproves of my purchase) so I haven't had to mess with different users' settings.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It seems like the car will load default settings if it cannot connect to the Porsche PCM servers, as often happens, when you unlock the car. I often have to go back in and set the main screen to show temp instead of a clock, ambient light, and also audio settings.
....so the answer here is that Porsche have acknowledged the issue and will be addressed in the forthcoming software update (March'21... maybe). Amongst other things it will address the loss of personal settings (e.g. in My Screen).

On the spoiler retraction / sitting flush issue, Porsche have confirmed they will address for all cars with the issue at some point in the future. Yesterday my dealership was in denial of a likely recall or indeed knowledge of the problem...but as we all known this appears to be a widespread issue.

On the positive, I did get my squeaky door fixed and as a double bonus they charged the car which now has an impressive (unbelievable) 255mile range according to the app (I've never had more than 230 on 100% charge). I'll be interested to see what it drops to once I collect the car and return home (it's 3C here).

SOC update:

...oh did I mention that the app has become unreliable too!? Range dropped to 235 when I picked the car up. This morning the battery was down to 95% and suggested 217 miles of range (more believable) but not physically checked the car yet. On the other hand the 'My Porsche' website still advises I have 100% of battery charge and 255 miles of range on the home screen and then reports 217 on the 'Car Control' tab. It also informs me that the doors are unlocked (which they aren't)...

It seems neither the app or web client can be trusted so clearly a communication issue with Porsche cloud service. I did read elsewhere on the forum this morning that there was an admission from Porsche technical support folk (they're not the best) that the app is "broken" and out of sync. More likely there is a wider issue and synchronisation is merely one of the symptoms.
Sponsored

Last edited: