Home charging in the UK

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
Hi All

wondering what people are doing about this.

Having been forced to take the Mobile Connect unit I’m wondering about getting the outside mounting box for that and a 32a commando socket.

Or with the OLEV grant I guess it may be better to have a new point installed?

interested in thoughts on:

- mobile connect vs dedicated charging point
- if the latter which suppliers people are going for. I know the Andersen ev point is recommended by Porsche but their app gets some poor reviews and it’s quite expensive.

best
David
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Hi All

wondering what people are doing about this.

Having been forced to take the Mobile Connect unit I’m wondering about getting the outside mounting box for that and a 32a commando socket.

Or with the OLEV grant I guess it may be better to have a new point installed?

interested in thoughts on:

- mobile connect vs dedicated charging point
- if the latter which suppliers people are going for. I know the Andersen ev point is recommended by Porsche but their app gets some poor reviews and it’s quite expensive.

best
David
I’m going for a BP Chargmaster. I already have 64amp cable wired to the garage and already have a point installed for wife’s car. The second one will allow us to top up at the same time.

Porsche Taycan Home charging in the UK image

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The 32a commando socket is a cheap option installation wise. Two issues, firstly you may want to take the mobile connect box with you so packing it up every day is a pain. Secondly if it is outside you will need to buy a dry box to protect the unit. However, you may wish to consider having it in addition to a permanent unit as it is a useful backup if the main unit stops working.

I would advise a permanent home charging unit. Finding a locally based OLEV approved installer would be my advice if you are unsure. I’m not a fan of the Podpoints or the Chargemasters, particularly if your install is going to be complicated as they tend to be an incredibly expensive way of doing it.

As for the unit I would go for, the last unit I had installed was a MyEnergi Zappi 2. It’s main trick is that it can sense when excess is being generated by the solar panels on my roof and it then charges the car using that excess. It uses wireless clamps around the grid and generation feeds to determine this. It also co-ordinates with the home battery I have and the water heating distribution unit as well. It has an app that you can view and control what is going on.

At my leat house I had two Rolecs which I used for 4 years. They are one of the cheapest out there. Initially they had breakers that used to burn out but they are now solid as a rock.

This is a pic of my set up. The grey one is the Zappi and the black one is a Tesla unit which Elon Musk scribbled on! The Tesla unit has a permanent tethered cable which cannot be removed. Great until it breaks and requires a replacement (which it has!).
Porsche Taycan Home charging in the UK 0CEA6983-C369-4BEF-B589-0B8FFB02A59A

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
@DavidE- Bath ,

I had similar thoughts to yourself but with the connect charger being mandatory, I just decided to take the extra £240 mounting box and have that installed for now.

If you have three phase then you will benefit slightly in that this charger will charge at 11kw rather than single phase 7.6kw.

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
Hi All

thanks for the feedback.

@grahamsimmonds and @goggs I was starting to think about how things would be when we get a second EV. Is there any problem with taking 64 amps off the home circuit (mine has a 100 amp breaker)? I think some of the charge points have a way of balancing 2 outlets and monitoring of the home usage to avoid using too much at once (I think Zappi can do that?). To be honest I’ve not got to the bottom of understanding it all yet though.

@Austin_yeahbaby unfortunately we are only single phase :-(

cheers
David

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I called up my electricity supplier as I’ve got 100amp coming in single phase. We live in a 5 bed house, with a hot tub outside! I was worried as we use 32 for one charger, 16 for the tub & the other charger would be another 32. Plus I’ve got to light the house! But they said I was border line... I’ll be keeping an eye on things but I think I should be okay. The hot tub only really pulls the amps when it’s refilled with cold water. Rest of the time it just pulls a few amps to keep warm.

BobM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, BMW E36 M3
Country flag
Do we know yet how scheduling charging will work? I've already got my Tesla wall unit on the house and a 32A commando socket in the garage, I really don't want to shell out for another charge unit. Will we be able to schedule charging via 3rd party chargers? It's not clear to me on the Porsche website whether scheduling charging is a function of the car, the Porsche Connect phone app or the charging unit.

With my solar, Tesla Powerwall and Octopus Go tariff being able to easily schedule charging it an important issue.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spoke to Andersen today in the uk. They were very specific in an email that the Porsche charger connect only charges at home at 3kw. Absolute rubbish as the web says up to 11kw. So on single phase, which is typical in the uk you will get 7.2kw. Anyway I’m going to use that in the car for emergency charges and stick to the charge master at home. Just thought I’d share the misinformation from Andersen.

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spoke to Andersen today in the uk. They were very specific in an email that the Porsche charger connect only charges at home at 3kw. Absolute rubbish as the web says up to 11kw. So on single phase, which is typical in the uk you will get 7.2kw. Anyway I’m going to use that in the car for emergency charges and stick to the charge master at home. Just thought I’d share the misinformation from Andersen.
Hmmm interesting. Yes I’m sure it says up to 11kw on the web. At the moment I’m thinking I might start with a 32a commando socket for the mobile connect and decide on a fixed charge point in due course. As you say I’ll have to remember to take it with me if I might need it when away from home though. Cheers

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Extract of email:-

Hi Gordon,

The Porsche mobile connect is actually 2.5kW and plugs directly into your wall mounted socket. When you place the mobile connect inside the Porsche wall dock and change some cabling this increases to 3.6kW on single phase.

However the charger is no longer mobile as it is mounted to your wall. So in the case where you need to charge your vehicle other than at your home, or service station you are without a charging option.

The andersen charger however charges at 7.2kW and does not require use of the Porsche mobile connect. The link below is to our Andersen A2 product page:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
There must be some miscommunications here. You are correct that the Porsche Charger Connect should be able to change up to 11 kW. But that is on a three phase connection.

Andersen May have stated the charger as connected to a normal wall socket with single phase and 13 amp max. That would probably be 3 kW max. And yes you should be able to get about 7.4 kW on a single phase with a special suitable connector for 32 amps.

So it all comes down to how you what you mean by “charges at home”

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There must be some miscommunications here. You are correct that the Porsche Charger Connect should be able to change up to 11 kW. But that is on a three phase connection.

Andersen May have stated the charger as connected to a normal wall socket with single phase and 13 amp max. That would probably be 3 kW max. And yes you should be able to get about 7.4 kW on a single phase with a special suitable connector for 32 amps.

So it all comes down to how you what you mean by “charges at home”
I’m just surprised that Andersen, the official Porsche representative for charging isn’t more accurate in emails. Copy above in thread.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
@DavidE- Bath ,

I had similar thoughts to yourself but with the connect charger being mandatory, I just decided to take the extra £240 mounting box and have that installed for now.

If you have three phase then you will benefit slightly in that this charger will charge at 11kw rather than single phase 7.6kw.
I’m not sure you will get 7.6kW from the charger on single phase in the UK. From the information I’ve being seeing it appears The Porsche charger is only capable of providing 3.6kW! So just the 30 hours to charge For your forced £730 option. I hope I’m wrong........

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
I think it might be worse than that!

2.3kw if connected to a 3 pin plug, 3.6kw I’d using an industrial socket on single phase.

You only get 11kw if you have 3 phase power.

I’m lucky in that I have 3 phase but circa 40 hours if you use a plug!

Porsche Taycan Home charging in the UK 0236093A-DEDB-4087-9DDB-3018FD6835C0

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Looking at the extract from the charger installation documentation it shows more than the low 3.6kW charging current. It shows up to 9.6kW.

from single phase 40A supply.
Porsche Taycan Home charging in the UK A89D5165-A0D7-43F4-9332-D234B195484B
Sponsored