Home charging in the UK

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
I'm no electrician but my understanding that 32Amp is the max on a UK single phase supply....so you get

Supply Type / Charger RatingAC/DCRated power*Time to charge 10kWhTime to charge 30kWh
Regular electricity socket 13ASlowAC 3.0KW3 hours 20 mins10 hours10 hours
Single phase 16ASlowAC 3.7KW2h 40 mins8 hours8 hours
Single phase 32AFastAC 7.4KW1h 20 mins4 hours4 hours
Sponsored

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
I just ordered a Wallbox Pulsar Plus - I like the separate “holster” for the plug which suits where we want it installed, and it seems to have one of the very few well rated apps on the App Store. Hopefully will be installed within a couple of weeks.

Will let you know how I get on but will have to invite friends round to charge their electric cars if I’m to try it out :) Still no news on my 4S which locked on 10 Jan .....

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
thanks for the tip on the wall box, I will take a look at those.

ref the 4s, have you checked with the dealer if it is actually locked, I think you might find it is still open for changes for a while yet as i hear all 4S builds have pushed back

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
thanks for the tip on the wall box, I will take a look at those.

ref the 4s, have you checked with the dealer if it is actually locked, I think you might find it is still open for changes for a while yet as i hear all 4S builds have pushed back
I’ll enquire with the dealer about whether the car is actually locked... I was told it was on 10th Jan at V250 but as you say it seems the 4S builds have been pushed back so it may not actually be locked.

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Checked with the dealer and they said my 4S is in V250 and if I want to change anything I can but it will likely push back the delivery date. They aren’t giving me the current expected date though - keeping that very close to their chest. It locked on 10 Jan.

Wallbox Pulsar Plus being installed 6 March. Not rushing it as I suspect the car will be some time!

Cheers
David

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
Looking at the extract from the charger installation documentation it shows more than the low 3.6kW charging current. It shows up to 9.6kW.

from single phase 40A supply.
It looks like you are referencing the wrong charger manual. If find the following technical data on the charger connect. In your case you would choose the 22kW version which is capable of up to 32A per phase. So it would provide 7.2kW from the single phase 32A supply. Always assumed that you use the correct socket and cable. And by choosing additional cables for other high power sockets in the future you can provide up to 22kW to any car with a Type 2 socket.

Porsche Taycan Home charging in the UK 1581749180382

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
So I am in the USA but curious about the single phase 40A option. I am hoping to use that and wondering why that was not mentioned above?
You are referencing to the US variant which is not sold in the UK.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
It looks like you are referencing the wrong charger manual. If find the following technical data on the charger connect. In your case you would choose the 22kW version which is capable of up to 32A per phase. So it would provide 7.2kW from the single phase 32A supply. Always assumed that you use the correct socket and cable. And by choosing additional cables for other high power sockets in the future you can provide up to 22kW to any car with a Type 2 socket.

1581749180382.png
I don’t think so. This extract shows 7.2kW from 2 phases so not possible in UK. We have single phase 240V.

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I don’t think so. This extract shows 7.2kW from 2 phases so not possible in UK. We have single phase 240V.
I mentioned the 22kW version, not the 7.2kW version. And this is capable of 32A per phase which gives 240V*32A = 7680W. The 22kW version works also with one phase supplied only.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Still confused but hopefully the UK version will give 7.2kw otherwise it’s pretty useless

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I mentioned the 22kW version, not the 7.2kW version. And this is capable of 32A per phase which gives 240V*32A = 7680W. The 22kW version works also with one phase supplied only.
Let’s hope you are correct

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Just a heads up. i am currently looking for a charger installation and lots of quotes are com8ng back as 2-3 months lead time. might be a good things the cars are delayed or I might have a car and nothing to charge it with other than a Porsche granny charger which will take a lloonnggggg time

sanjivsai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Smart Eq ForFour
Country flag
Hi,
I thought Anderson was expensive and am looking at either Pod Point or EVBOX ELVI and would appreciate any thoughts in respect of this.

Evan

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, BMW M4, Porsche Cayenne Coupe Hybrid. Porsche 911 GT3 on the way
Country flag
Just taken delivery of my Taycan 4S and trying to work out charging options at home. The Porsche charger I have is the 9YO.971.675.BJ. According to the back of the charger, it should run at 22Kw on a 32 Amp supply. However, according to the spec sheet that elberk has posted above, seems like that is only if the supply is three phase as opposed to single phase.

The spec sheet doesn't say what it runs at on a single phase 32 Amp supply. It says 3P+E+N on the back of the charger, which I assume means 3 Phase, plus Earth Plus Neutral - not sure if that helps anything. Porsche have done a great job of making this confusing as hell.. Have attached pictures of the back of the unit and plug adaptor here.

Any thoughts or input on this appreciated.. I'm getting a 32 Amp single phase socket installed next week, so I'll let you all know how that goes.
Porsche Taycan Home charging in the UK 20200711_161537~01
Porsche Taycan Home charging in the UK 20200711_161852