Bresdo1962

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have checked and could not find an answer...

I know that we should only charge to 85% unless we go on a road trip.

I basically only charge at home and wondering how far done do all of you go
before charging. I have been letting it go down to about 20% before doing a charge .

Am I doing it right not sure..
Sponsored

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I typically don’t let it down that low before recharging

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
I do similar. I don't let it go below 20% but generally charge when it's at about 30 ish% at home. I only have two charge profiles. 85% and 100%

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Depends what I am doing that week but I wouldn’t normally plan to have it go below 40%. I often charge it when it gets down to 50%. Can sometimes get free electricity at work so will charge there whatever % it is on

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have got in the habit of just plugging it in every night if it's below 75% (with 85% target).

It only takes 10 seconds to plug it in/out, so it's no hassle.

Two main reasons;
1. know I have plenty of charge if I need to make unexpected long, or numerous journeys the next day - as happens sometimes.

2. Its mostly charging at cheap rate (Octopus Go). Cheap rate will generally take me from 50% to 85% in the 4 hours.
So if its run down to say 20%, it will charge half at full rate and half at cheap rate.
I would sooner charge more often at cheap rate, than less often using full rate.

OP
OP
Bresdo1962

Bresdo1962

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Reason I asked is for better battery life I think I saw somewhere you need to go low on the charge for a healthier battery.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I have got in the habit of just plugging it in every night if it's below 75% (with 85% target).

Two main reasons;
1. know I have plenty of charge if I need to make unexpected long, or numerous journeys the next day - as happens sometimes.

2. Its mostly charging at cheap rate (Octopus Go). Cheap rate will generally take me from 50% to 85% in the 4 hours.
So if its run down to say 20%, it will charge half at full rate and half at cheap rate.
I would sooner charge more often at cheap rate, than less often using full rate.
Sounds sensible in terms of cost management. Isn’t level 2 charging much better for the battery than great charging anyway?

albeit I have heard that batteries don’t like to be kept too full for too long?

Is someone clever here to answer?

Last edited:

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Two main reasons;

This is a really good shout. We are getting a smart meter installed on Wednesday of this week so we'll be going with the Octopus GO EV tariff. I'll start to do a similar thing. At the moment my tariff is the same day and night. Hence the change.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
This is a really good shout. We are getting a smart meter installed on Wednesday of this week so we'll be going with the Octopus GO EV tariff. I'll start to do a similar thing. At the moment my tariff is the same day and night. Hence the change.
Its easy.

Just get in the habit of always plugging it when you park up at night.

I used to have cars with steering locks for example, and just plugging the charger in and out is a lot less hassle than that used to be.

Habit. 👍

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Sounds sensible in terms of cost management. Isn’t level/charging much better for the battery than great charging anyway?

albeit I have heard that batteries don’t like to be kept too full for too long?

Is someone clever here to answer?
Luckily yes! 👍

I used the information on here from @Squiden who works with satellite batteries as the most knowledgeable and fact based reference material I have yet come across.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charging-best-practices.7081/post-101651

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
My understanding is that allowing a lithium battery to sit at either too high or too low a charge can adversely affect battery life. I don't know whether 20% is considered too low but what is more important to me is functionality. What if you need to use the car on the spur of the moment to go more than a few miles and you only have a 20% charge? Unless you have immediate access to a fast charger you might be out of luck.

Personally, I plug in after every use and bring the charge back up to 80% which is what's recommended for daily use in my 2021 owner's manual (same for our Audi E-tron SUV). Then I'm sure that I'll have an adequate charge for most situations that may arise.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have checked and could not find an answer...

I know that we should only charge to 85% unless we go on a road trip.

I basically only charge at home and wondering how far done do all of you go
before charging. I have been letting it go down to about 20% before doing a charge .

Am I doing it right not sure..
I always ensure I have 85% at the start of the week irrespective of the then battery SOC (40%+).

There's an 8 year 100,000 cycle (from memory) battery warranty to protect you so I wouldn't overthink this too much. A cycle is from more or less 0% to 100% which likely none of us ever do and top ups are only a partial cycle.

Regular ultra fast DC charging > 200kW can be more harmful but there is an option in the PCM charging menu to limit this.

Charging to 100% and not using it for days is not recommended and best consumed on that day.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Also even if you don't travel very far it's good to charge to 100% once in a while because it helps cells balancing (whitch help the health and the range of the battery)

That's a tip i've learned from my Energica ;)

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its easy.

Just get in the habit of always plugging it when you park up at night.

I used to have cars with steering locks for example, and just plugging the charger in and out is a lot less hassle than that used to be.

Habit. 👍
I'm sure I'll find out the details when we change tariff but when is the cheaper KW window?
Sponsored