IRL

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm looking for the best home charging and energy management solution for my Taycan.

I hear there are better / more advanced third-party systems than the Porsche version (?)

I would appreciate any recommendations that other Porsche owners have for installers in the Dublin area please.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Sláinte!
There is really no need to spend any extra money on other chargers. It is much more important to see to that you have the suitable wiring installed and then choose the correct lead and connector when ordering your Taycan. In Ireland I guess it would come with the normal three plug domestic lead like in the UK. But there is normally a free option to choose another supply lead. If you have three phase available you can also get these cables. Please check what is included as standard in the specification in Ireland and what options there are. Make sure you discuss with a qualified electrician about the dimensioning and installation of the supply more than anything.

The PMCC that is delivered with the car is a very good unit, a bit big and clumsy, but it works. It will happily supply and charge at 22 kW if your wiring is up to it.

And I was supplied with several leads and wall holder in the package. Works without any problems. I believe the issue is in the US with their multitude of sockets and connectors.

Good luck!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I would recommend to either wire the PMCC with 32 amp supply. Or get a zappi fitted.

Reactions: IRL
OP
OP
IRL

IRL

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks a million for the replies ("go raibh mile maith agat", Scandinavian!)

The issue I have is trying to minimise the load on the mains supply when everything is consuming a lot of power in the house (we have a lot of potential big loads!) - hence why everyone I have spoken to so far is strongly recommending I get an energy management solution, and they are also saying third party systems are 'better' than the 'older' technology in the Porsche system.

There are a number of companies that provide the full system and installation service but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of any of them.

Thanks again.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’ll be very curious to hear about options and choices and what ultimately is selected - I can learn a lot from this thread - since it’s all different than the US.

Martinl

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes, I'll also be interested in the answers to this thread especially with respect to the Irish opinion. I'm struggling in Northern Ireland with the grant of £350 for a home ev charger. This is given to the installers and most of them seem to be charging approx £500 for a home install. And that is with the ev grant. I can buy a fairly basic charger (and my reading is that the taycan does all the smart stuff...) on Amazon for £250 and £100 to an electrician for a 32amp supply. I'm not for using the PMCC as I want that always in the car for emergencies.

So...what are you all installing in Ireland?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Zappi works well if you need one that will balance other current draw on the house. It has settings that automatically adjust charging current to ensure the total house load is balanced. It has a build in current sensing cable to do this

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
I believe Porsche UK has partnered with Andersen for another third-party option. It will be the solution I get installed and IMO looks better than Zappi.

Kilsoj

First Name
Killian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 turbo and cayenne turbo
Country flag
Belfast have recommended the Andersen unit and I think it is a company called Baird electrical in Ballyclare who install them. I know nothing about either so not a recommendation - but something I need to sort ASAP as well and that is where I will be starting

Martinl

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Belfast have recommended the Andersen unit and I think it is a company called Baird electrical in Ballyclare who install them. I know nothing about either so not a recommendation - but something I need to sort ASAP as well and that is where I will be starting
Keep in touch then, I'm also waiting to hear back from them on pricing.

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I believe Porsche UK has partnered with Andersen for another third-party option. It will be the solution I get installed and IMO looks better than Zappi.
When I looked at the features of the Andersen A2, it has maybe same than the PMCC, and definitely less than the Zappi. I did not find any integrations with PV, but maybe this is not needed for you. It only allows for monitoring the charge process. Designwise you could be right that the Andersen unit is better looking :)

OP
OP
IRL

IRL

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been recommended the Wallbox Pulsar Plus with dynamic load balancing to reduce the output to the car if the house consumption is high.

It will have its own 5m charging cable which will allow me to keep all of the cables that come with the car in the car, in case I ever need them on the road.

Although I have a three phase supply into the house, it's not used so, unless I go to a lot of trouble to rewire some of the house to balance the phases, I am stuck with a single phase - hence the load balancing.

I have also upgraded my old analogue meter to a day/night unit so I can get the cheaper night rate for charging the car.
Sponsored