Home Energy Management throttling at work...

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
In the photos below you can see the throttling clearly as the charge varies to a maximum of 11kw. The car was charged from 20 to 85% during a very rainy and cloudy day with practically no sun. I have 30kw of solar but output peaked at little over 6kw. Since my contract capacity is with a maximizer (which records maximum average consumption per phase during any 15 minute periods during the month), I get penalized heavily for exceeding the limit over 10%. So I limit the total consumption with the HEM. Attached are three charts. First one shows PMCC kw consumption, second one shows solar production. The third one shows total energy consumption (home plus charger in red and solar production in blue.

If anyone needs any help understanding the configuration, contact me. It took me several calls and trial and error to get it working. As usual, plenty of instructions... all quite confusing.
Porsche Taycan Home Energy Management throttling at work... 4F085D5B-E203-46AB-8F85-DFAE46E61F18
Porsche Taycan Home Energy Management throttling at work... DBAF058C-88A0-4916-97AF-05F5B426771C
Porsche Taycan Home Energy Management throttling at work... A0ACAE8E-64B1-44E8-9F8A-45BFC9A066B2

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
very nice, but I cannot see the intelligent charging that uses mainly solar power?!
What is you power limit that HEM tries to hold by throttling?

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
very nice, but I cannot see the intelligent charging that uses mainly solar power?!
What is you power limit that HEM tries to hold by throttling?
You can see that at no time the consumption exceeds 17,2 kw total in the third chart. In the beginning it hit over 20kw frequently because it was not configured properly.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
that overload protection is not very obvious from the data you shared, not only because there is very few overlap of PV and charging but also because of the unknown rest-of-the-house consumption of power. Have you checked with turning on 2-3 hair dryers? :)

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that overload protection is not very obvious from the data you shared, not only because there is very few overlap of PV and charging but also because of the unknown rest-of-the-house consumption of power. Have you checked with turning on 2-3 hair dryers? :)
The fact is that during the summer, my home consumption can reach 20kWh on a hot day when all the air conditioning units, the pool and water-well pumps, the stove and oven, the washer dryer and other less energy consuming items such as LED lighting and TVs are in use. The solar panels produce up to 30 kWh of energy near mid-day on a sunny day. However on a very cloudy or rainy day the production drops to 2-5 kWh. At Also, in the winter, the solar panels only generate power for fewer hours and less of it as well.
During the night, in summer on hot days, the consumption is between 8-12kWh during the night. In the winter it usually is around 5kWh except it jumps to around 8-9kWh when temperature of my pool drops below 10°C, as it is heated to prevent icing damage.

These circumstances are when the HEM comes in handy when charging the car. The HEM throttles the charger consumption only, as it has no influence on the home draw. I would like to note that my charger is prepared for 22kWh charging and that may come into play either when an upgrade is available for my 2020 Taycan Turbo S, or when a car capable of this, charges at my home.

Last edited:

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
currently our PV is at nearly zero kW because snow is covering the panels ;)

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The fact is that during the summer, my home consumption can reach 20kWh on a hot day when all the air conditioning units, the pool and water-well pumps, the stove and oven, the washer dryer and other less energy consuming items such as LED lighting and TVs are in use. The solar panels produce up to 30 kWh of energy near mid-day on a sunny day. However on a very cloudy or rainy day the production drops to 2-5 kWh. At Also, in the winter, the solar panels only generate power for fewer hours and less of it as well.
During the night, in summer on hot days, the consumption is between 8-12kWh during the night. In the winter it usually is around 5kWh except it jumps to around 8-9kWh when temperature of my pool drops below 10°C, as it is heated to prevent icing damage.

These circumstances are when the HEM comes in handy when charging the car. The HEM throttles the charger consumption only, as it has no influence on the home draw. I would like to note that my charger is prepared for 22kWh charging and that may come into play either when an upgrade is available for my 2020 Taycan Turbo S, or when a car capable of this, charges at my home.
Also, I am not relying on the HEM for overload as my contract is for 17,2 kWh three-phase 400V, yet I can draw up to 30kWh without overloading the circuits. However the cost penalty for doing this can multiply by 3 my monthly bill ! If I increase my consumption, I must contract a higher capacity which will increase my cost, but by a relatively reasonable amount.
On another note, my overall consumption has decreased 60% and my bills where 70% less from April to November. For December thru March they where down about 45% and 55%. The much lower bills where achieved due to the fact that solar was used to cover almost all peak-fare use.

Random

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, BMW 225Xe, taycan 4S
Country flag
In the photos below you can see the throttling clearly as the charge varies to a maximum of 11kw. The car was charged from 20 to 85% during a very rainy and cloudy day with practically no sun. I have 30kw of solar but output peaked at little over 6kw. Since my contract capacity is with a maximizer (which records maximum average consumption per phase during any 15 minute periods during the month), I get penalized heavily for exceeding the limit over 10%. So I limit the total consumption with the HEM. Attached are three charts. First one shows PMCC kw consumption, second one shows solar production. The third one shows total energy consumption (home plus charger in red and solar production in blue.

If anyone needs any help understanding the configuration, contact me. It took me several calls and trial and error to get it working. As usual, plenty of instructions... all quite confusing.
4F085D5B-E203-46AB-8F85-DFAE46E61F18.jpeg
DBAF058C-88A0-4916-97AF-05F5B426771C.jpeg
A0ACAE8E-64B1-44E8-9F8A-45BFC9A066B2.png
Thank for sharing. Very useful info since I've few documentation about HME monitoring and implementation with FV self consumption plants.

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank for sharing. Very useful info since I've few documentation about HME monitoring and implementation with FV self consumption plants.
If you need more info, drop me a PM with your phone number and a good time to call and I can gladly assist.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Hey @Pozuelo

I just found this thread via a hint from someone else. I don't have the Porsche HEMS (it wouldn't work in my installation), but I am working on an open source solution that supports the same scenario. Sadly I have trouble getting this specific setup to work.

Would you mind sharing the information you got from Porsche to get this setup working with the Porsche HEMS?

Thanks,
Andreas

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You should be able to get in German from your dealer, or their recommended installer.
Sponsored