First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Hi all,

My 2021 Taycan 4S build is locked, and production is starting in a couple of days (can’t wait :)) however, I just realized that I didn’t tick the box for Homelink, and I would like to have that feature with my garage door..

does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit, maybe as a software update through FoD or any other way?

thanks all :cool:
Sponsored

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
It is crude but how about using the clicker that came with your garage door? I doubt it is a software only update as you would need the Homelink transmitter installed in the car.

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is crude but how about using the clicker that came with your garage door? I doubt it is a software only update as you would need the Homelink transmitter installed in the car.
Porsche Taycan Home link - possible to retro Fit? 253E782B-F1F0-46BA-8673-44B24C7DDB2E
It is hardware and software.
i think homelink is quite handy to have.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Yeah, and you can use it at the same time the backup camera is operating! You know, like when you are backing out of the garage!

Otherwise, you have to close the backup camera screen in order to get to the homelink screen to close your garage door. Then, you have to manually re-open the backup camera screen if you want to see it again.

This car was clearly "tested" by folks in lab coats with clipboards and never by real end users.

...and I would kinda bet that the homelink option could be turned on by software only. I doubt Porsche is installing some trivial piece of hardware into the PCM just for the homelink option. I would expect the hardware is completely integrated and just enabled by software. However, that doesn't mean Porsche is going to make it available post-delivery...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Yeah, and you can use it at the same time the backup camera is operating! You know, like when you are backing out of the garage!

Otherwise, you have to close the backup camera screen in order to get to the homelink screen to close your garage door. Then, you have to manually re-open the backup camera screen if you want to see it again.

This car was clearly "tested" by folks in lab coats with clipboards and never by real end users.

...and I would kinda bet that the homelink option could be turned on by software only. I doubt Porsche is installing some trivial piece of hardware into the PCM just for the homelink option. I would expect the hardware is completely integrated and just enabled by software. However, that doesn't mean Porsche is going to make it available post-delivery...
No.
You can assign a button to activate the Homelink.
While you're driving backwards, you can press it, no problem whatsoever.
You are thinking in problems instead of solutions.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No.
You can assign a button to activate the Homelink.
While you're driving backwards, you can press it, no problem whatsoever.
You are thinking in problems instead of solutions.
Nope.... No you can't... Not if you have multiple doors defined in your homelink screen. (This has been discussed in other threads)

If you only have a single garage door assigned to one of the "joker" buttons, then that joker button will cause the door to open without having to visit the homelink screen.

However...

If you have more than one garage door, and you have multiple buttons on your homelink screen, that "joker" button will only open the homelink screen (it will not try to open one of the doors as it has no idea which one you want to open)

So, once you hit that joker button (with multiple doors), it opens the homelink screen. But that homelink screen is located underneath the backup camera screen. So you have to close the backup camera screen in order to get to it. The backup screen obviously has priority...

Porsche could have made it so the homelink screen doesn't have to compete with the backup camera screen. They could have made the homelink options a little pull down menu that would coexist with the backup camera screen. (You know, like Tesla does...) But they didn't...

Porsche could have also let us assign a specific garage door button to a joker button (instead of the entire homelink screen). This would let us choose a specific door to activate and not require us to visit the homelink screen. But they didn't...

Again, tested and designed by folks in lab coats - not by real users...

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Anyway, I don't think you can retrofit Homelink unless it's offered by Porsche.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think thats a given... The OP specifically asked via "a software update through FoD"... FOD is a Porsche service/feature...

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@evanevery
WELL SAID
Porsche sure knows how to make cars drive well but it at ends at that
They need to hire some Tesla software engineers and not the fart mode, game mode engineers, you know the functional everyday use item engineers

Nope.... No you can't... Not if you have multiple doors defined in your homelink screen. (This has been discussed in other threads)

If you only have a single garage door assigned to one of the "joker" buttons, then that joker button will cause the door to open without having to visit the homelink screen.

However...

If you have more than one garage door, and you have multiple buttons on your homelink screen, that "joker" button will only open the homelink screen (it will not try to open one of the doors as it has no idea which one you want to open)

So, once you hit that joker button (with multiple doors), it opens the homelink screen. But that homelink screen is located underneath the backup camera screen. So you have to close the backup camera screen in order to get to it. The backup screen obviously has priority...

Porsche could have made it so the homelink screen doesn't have to compete with the backup camera screen. They could have made the homelink options a little pull down menu that would coexist with the backup camera screen. But they didn't...

Porsche could have also let us assign a specific garage door button to a joker button (instead of the entire homelink screen). This would let us choose a specific door to activate and not require us to visit the homelink screen. But they didn't...

Again, tested and designed by folks in lab coats - not by real users...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with @evanevery that it could be more smooth when backing out and needing the button. I have 4 doors programmed and am very happy with the ease of setup. As for usage, I do have the instrument cluster joker button set for homelink then if backup camera on just the X in upper left to close to see the homelink and then to get backup camera is a single button on the lower screen on bottom left. So I don't find it too tedious, not saying it couldn't be better.

• Love
Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I agree with @evanevery that it could be more smooth when backing out and needing the button. I have 4 doors programmed and am very happy with the ease of setup. As for usage, I do have the instrument cluster joker button set for homelink then if backup camera on just the X in upper left to close to see the homelink and then to get backup camera is a single button on the lower screen on bottom left. So I don't find it too tedious, not saying it couldn't be better.
Exactly.
As this probably never get fixed it's not worth the repeated (and quite annoying) rant.
Like you said, there's a solution, it's not a problem.
You just have to adapt to the UI, that's a choice and if you don't want to make that choice, either write emails to Porsche and share your hard work to get it fixed or stop ranting.

Ok, let's get on topic again... :)

Botox

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Cayenne TGT, 20 Taycan TurboS, 22 M5c
Country flag
evanevery is correct. The homelink buttons should be on rear view mirror apparatus like other Porsche vehicles. I have similar situation where my garage has tight area for backing up where I need to go backwards, forward, backwards again, then forward to leave. I have to close out of camera to see my multiple homelink garage doors and choose the correct one. After, reactivate camera to continue. I always to make sure to put car in drive prior to exiting out of camera to shut garage door so I don't accidentally back into a wall. Hard buttons would be superior for this specific function. Overall car is excellent, minor inconvenience for an awesome machine.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly.
As this probably never get fixed it's not worth the repeated (and quite annoying) rant.
Like you said, there's a solution, it's not a problem.
You just have to adapt to the UI, that's a choice and if you don't want to make that choice, either write emails to Porsche and share your hard work to get it fixed or stop ranting.

Ok, let's get on topic again... :)
Just because there is a rather inconvenient workaround doesn't mean there still isn't a problem. ...and I'm going to keep working with Porsche (I have a ticket on this and MANY other things) to try and get it addressed. Its just a brainless software design and it can all be fixed with a software update. But likely not if we all just ignore it and pretend its OK...

We are on topic. You understand how "discussion forums" work, right?
Sponsored