Homelink Profile - I don’t get it…

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo, G63, Mini (Electric)
Country flag
When I approach my house a pop-up tells me I’m in near My Homelink location. But when I press the pop up my garage door doesn’t open. I’m not even sure if the pop up is a button. So I have to X out of it and then I can press the soft button in its normal location.
Can I disable the pop up? I already know I’m home. Or am I missing something there?

thanks for reading!
(2022 Taycan Turbo CT)
Sponsored

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
Good question - i also would like to understand that if anyone has an answer. In reading the manual, the Homelink pop up is supposed to automatically open your garage when you are within some distance of the saved location. It has never worked for me - i programed my steering week shortcut key to open the garage door.

OP
OP
VolcanoGrey

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good question - i also would like to understand that if anyone has an answer. In reading the manual, the Homelink pop up is supposed to automatically open your garage when you are within some distance of the saved location. It has never worked for me - i programed my steering week shortcut key to open the garage door.
I can think of so many reasons I wouldn’t want it to open my garage automatically when I’m nearby. Also the pop up happens long before I’m at my garage door and the range of the receiver isn’t that good as the door is clad in steel panels.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
How it works for me:
  • When I approach my apartment block's shared underground garage door, the homelink screen pops up on the PCM.
  • This screen has a large button on it with the title of whatever you called the location/device when you programmed the homelink fob.
  • You need to hold down – not only tap – but long press the large button until you see the garage door open.
It does not open the garage door automatically – it just pops up on screen when you are near where you programmed the fob originally.

Works every time for me!

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I think it is a very poor design. It should at least give you the option for auto-open/auto-close as in the Tesla, which worked intuitively and was extremely useful. This system is even worse than having a hard-button system.

I also find it finicky in pressing the button. I think it is not always consistent with respect to force/duration needed to trigger.

I don't like where the popup is placed, because mine at least puts it down on the bottom of the screen so I nearly need to wedge my finger into the edge to trigger. Totally unnecessary.

I also don't like it that it bounces you out of surround view/rear view cameras.

All of this could and should be improved by:
1. Making auto-open/auto-close optional;
2. When you do need the button to come up, it should be larger and towards the middle of the screen;
3. The buttons should be a semi-transparent overlay that does not take you out of the current function;
4. The buttons should be more consistent/less finicky.

I will say that programming was easier, and all of this seems to be improving over the years (remember how hard these were to program 10-20 years ago?).

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Totally agree on all point. I just programmed it to the button on the right of the binnacle and use that. It's closer and more consistent

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
How it works for me:
  • When I approach my apartment block's shared underground garage door, the homelink screen pops up on the PCM.
  • This screen has a large button on it with the title of whatever you called the location/device when you programmed the homelink fob.
  • You need to hold down – not only tap – but hold down the large button until you see the garage door open.
It does not open the garage door automatically – it just pops up on screen when you are near where you programmed the fob originally.

Works every time for me!
This is 100% correct, as mine works the same way! I have four different houses so when I get close to one of them the screen pops up and I gently long press which house I want the door to open.
Works perfect every time with no issues.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I just programmed it to the button on the right of the binnacle and use that. It's closer and more consistent
Same here.

OP
OP
VolcanoGrey

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it is a very poor design. It should at least give you the option for auto-open/auto-close as in the Tesla, which worked intuitively and was extremely useful. This system is even worse than having a hard-button system.

I also find it finicky in pressing the button. I think it is not always consistent with respect to force/duration needed to trigger.

I don't like where the popup is placed, because mine at least puts it down on the bottom of the screen so I nearly need to wedge my finger into the edge to trigger. Totally unnecessary.

I also don't like it that it bounces you out of surround view/rear view cameras.

All of this could and should be improved by:
1. Making auto-open/auto-close optional;
2. When you do need the button to come up, it should be larger and towards the middle of the screen;
3. The buttons should be a semi-transparent overlay that does not take you out of the current function;
4. The buttons should be more consistent/less finicky.

I will say that programming was easier, and all of this seems to be improving over the years (remember how hard these were to program 10-20 years ago?).
OK, I’m going to try holding down the button. I agree that the positioning is awkward. I know where the button is normally and the fact that it takes it away from there when I need it seems really weird. I missed it is sliding 3 inches closer to me, but I would rather just have it sit where it always sits.

I do agree that programming. It was so much easier than in previous vehicles.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
So can the Homelink be programmed with more than 1 door opening profile?

Porsche Taycan Homelink Profile - I don’t get it… PSX_20211223_111942

I have mine programmed to open the smaller of the two garage doors in my 3 car garage but there are times I want to open the main door ,just park the car in the driveway and walk into the larger door just to go inside the house.

OP
OP
VolcanoGrey

VolcanoGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So can the Homelink be programmed with more than 1 door opening profile?

PSX_20211223_111942.jpg

I have mine programmed to open the smaller of the two garage doors in my 3 car garage but there are times I want to open the main door ,just park the car in the driveway and walk into the larger door just to go inside the house.
I believe you can program an additional door - I saw the option when I was looking for options on the profile I already have programmed. I’m not sure if you’ll get a shortcut button but you would see both doors Listed under the Homelink menu item on the main Home Screen (with all the icons).

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
How it works for me:
  • You need to hold down – not only tap – but hold down the large button until you see the garage door open.

Works every time for me!
^^^ This! Works great. ^^^

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
When I approach my house a pop-up tells me I’m in near My Homelink location. But when I press the pop up my garage door doesn’t open. I’m not even sure if the pop up is a button. So I have to X out of it and then I can press the soft button in its normal location.
Can I disable the pop up? I already know I’m home. Or am I missing something there?

thanks for reading!
(2022 Taycan Turbo CT)
Are you pressing and holding the popup for a couple of seconds?

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Me too. We have a fairly long driveway and our other vehicles will open the door from the street. For the Taycan sometimes it works, but more often than not the car has to be almost in front of the garage door for the signal to get from the car to the opener.
Sponsored