Homelink Profile - I don’t get it…

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have both of my garage doors programmed. When I approach my driveway, I get a pop up that says Garage 1 and Garage 2. You need to hold down the button on the popup until you see the transmission antenna signal go in motion.
Sponsored

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
You have to hold until you see the signal symbol emitting. Oh, and you can program at least five different doors. You can also omit the location or program different locations for each of the programmed doors.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I believe you can program an additional door - I saw the option when I was looking for options on the profile I already have programmed. I’m not sure if you’ll get a shortcut button but you would see both doors Listed under the Homelink menu item on the main Home Screen (with all the icons).
Yes, I have three doors on one of my houses and doors on other homes. You just have to give them all a different name so you know which to press to open/close.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
They really need to get the confirmation off the touch screen and onto the steering wheel. My suggestion for the imaginary Porsche devs on the forum would be when you approach a destination where you have homelink setup, have a popup in the dash like they do for navigation instructions, and have it display the names of your homelink profiles in range, allowing you to use the right scroll wheel to select the appropriate profile, and press it to start sending the signal.

As much as I like the dash itself, it very much feels like a v0.1 design as a proof of concept that they don't yet have all the feature implemented yet, because stuff like this seems so obvious to me. Have different drive modes save different dash configs, have one list of dial options instead of one for the left dial and one for the right, replace the phone, voice assistant, and recuperation buttons with diamond buttons, and/or give me more media controls. That's just me ranting though.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
I hate Porsche UI programmers.

What gets me. If I programmed the the spare button to open HomeLink, it works great with 1 profile configured. The minute I configured a 2nd HomeLink profile, the button no longer works as a transmitter, and now it's a shortcut to bring up the profiles, which if I set up GPS saved location, it pops up automatically. What I really want is for the favorite button to become a transmitter to whatever profile GPS thinks it's near. This way, if I have 3 or 5 profiles, the same button opens the appropriate garage door. Now I have long press the screen to open, and sometimes it pickups my press as a double-press, in which case, the door opens a few inches, then stops (receiving the 2nd press). Now I have to press again to close, then press again to open.

Drives me crazy, but I guess I just have to live with it, since the damn car drives so well.

Yes. Tesla option works great (comparing touchscreen setups), senses GPS coordinates and highlight appropriate profile. tap and open.

-ThinkMac-

Deleted member 7736

FWIW- those of you with newer Liftmaster or Chamberlain garage door openers... you can save yourself a lot of heartache and just us the MyQ functionality to open/close garage doors using Siri. I just have to say "hey Siri, open my right garage door" and it opens. No button pressing, menu fumbling, whatnot. Unfortunately it doesn't work for our driveway gate, so I still need to use Homelink for that, but if all you want to do is open/close a garage door this may be the easiest and least frustrating path for you.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
I programmed the dash diamond button to activate homelink, works great. Just a tap of the button opens/closes the gararge door.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
FWIW- those of you with newer Liftmaster or Chamberlain garage door openers... you can save yourself a lot of heartache and just us the MyQ functionality to open/close garage doors using Siri. I just have to say "hey Siri, open my right garage door" and it opens. No button pressing, menu fumbling, whatnot. Unfortunately it doesn't work for our driveway gate, so I still need to use Homelink for that, but if all you want to do is open/close a garage door this may be the easiest and least frustrating path for you.
Hey, that's a great tip. That had not occurred to me.

I wouldn't use my programmable diamond button on the steering wheel for this because I have more than one garage door and I use that button for "next track". In fact, I wish I had another for previous track.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I programmed the dash diamond button to activate homelink, works great. Just a tap of the button opens/closes the gararge door.
For me, the geolinking works so well I have never had to use that button so I've now programmed it to bring up the surround view camera instead.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
The geolink works consistently for me also. The one thing that annoys me is that the homelink buttons show on the PCM as I back out of my garage. The reverse camera layer pops up as I go into reverse and covers the buttons. I have to "x" out of the reverse camera view in order to see the buttons to close my garage door.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
So can the Homelink be programmed with more than 1 door opening profile?

PSX_20211223_111942.jpg

I have mine programmed to open the smaller of the two garage doors in my 3 car garage but there are times I want to open the main door ,just park the car in the driveway and walk into the larger door just to go inside the house.
Got both garage doors programmed to my Homelink now, thanks guys. Whereas before I hit the diamond shortcut button on my dash and the original garage door profile just opened no questions asked, I now get the pop up menu for BOTH garage door profiles on screen now and it took me a few tries to realize you have to long press on the door you want to open for it to work. I kept just tapping on the selected door profile and was confused why it wasn't working 😆

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Is there a special setup for this? I have MyQ functionality set up through the app. How do I enable Siri to work with MyQ?

Deleted member 7736

It can be a little confusing, as different generations of MyQ products are slightly different to set up. In my case, my garage door openers were MyQ compatible but did not directly link to Apple HomeKit so I needed to add the MyQ Home Bridge and link my garage door openers to that. This then allowed me to link those all to Apple HomeKit and control them with Siri.

https://www.chamberlain.com/myq-home-bridge/p/MYQ-G0303-SP

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I think it is a very poor design. It should at least give you the option for auto-open/auto-close as in the Tesla, which worked intuitively and was extremely useful. This system is even worse than having a hard-button system.

I also find it finicky in pressing the button. I think it is not always consistent with respect to force/duration needed to trigger.

I don't like where the popup is placed, because mine at least puts it down on the bottom of the screen so I nearly need to wedge my finger into the edge to trigger. Totally unnecessary.

I also don't like it that it bounces you out of surround view/rear view cameras.

All of this could and should be improved by:
1. Making auto-open/auto-close optional;
2. When you do need the button to come up, it should be larger and towards the middle of the screen;
3. The buttons should be a semi-transparent overlay that does not take you out of the current function;
4. The buttons should be more consistent/less finicky.

I will say that programming was easier, and all of this seems to be improving over the years (remember how hard these were to program 10-20 years ago?).
I will never use auto open again. There was one time where my Model X computer has to be rebooted, and the second I put the car in drive, it triggered the signal and started closing the garage door on me. Not expecting this, I immediately reversed but not enough, and the door clipped my hood. The door sensors were below my front bumper.

I’m never going to risk the auto open or close again. I would rather push a button.
Sponsored