cjne

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021, Tesla Model S P100D 2019
Country flag
As above... That's not BROWSING. Most times I just want to scroll through my music (165 GB) to see if something interesting pops up. Its also pretty much required for passengers who want to select something from my collection.

If all you do is ask/search for stuff, you will very often find that much of your music collection may go unlistened to...

Point is... This could have been implemented in a much more usable interface!
Understood, i can see your point.
UI design is hard, i don't think they spend nearly as much time and resources there compared to the other aspects of the car. Hopefully they can improve the software with time.
Is there an official way to give direct feedback to Porsche? Letting them know what needs fixing is a good start :)
Sponsored

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Must say, despite the other shortcomings...I'm very happy with the homelink range in my Taycan as opening my garage door can be done 2 or 3 times as far away when compared to my other vehicles.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Understood, i can see your point.
UI design is hard, i don't think they spend nearly as much time and resources there compared to the other aspects of the car. Hopefully they can improve the software with time.
Is there an official way to give direct feedback to Porsche? Letting them know what needs fixing is a good start :)
Man - I see so many problems with the User Interface. I totally agree.

I'ld ALMOST be willing to organize a list of GUI issues - with suggested resolutions - so we could provide them to Porsche to get them fixed. (I just started another thread odocumenting frustrations with creating a route through specified chargers in the NAV system...)

BUT, how much faith do you have in Porsche actually making use of that list to fix the problems? Given the amount of attention they obviously gave this in the first place its hard to see how they would give it any different level of attention moving forward. Similarly, the CHARGING NA app has documented problems (can't activate 350KW Chargers) and Porsche STILL hasn't fixed that bug (they rolled back the IOS app to a prior version instead - and then just pretty much abandoned Android users all together). I have to "force Stop" and clear the Cache and Data for the PORSCHE CONNECT App just to get logged in and then it just crashes EVERY TIME I ask it to display charging locations on the "EXPLORE" screen. Porsche knows about ALL of these problems. They even call me to ask how things are going after I log the problems. They should be calling the software developers and not me... Save the nickle!

So many software problems on so many aspects of the Taycan ecosystem. ...and, so far, Porsche hasn't demonstrated that they give a crap! They are the ones who should be collecting a list of all these issues and THEN ADDRESSING THEM.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Must say, despite the other shortcomings...I'm very happy with the homelink range in my Taycan as opening my garage door can be done 2 or 3 times as far away when compared to my other vehicles.
Yup. agreed!

...and also the typical fallback excuse: "It drives like a Porsche"!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Anyone get the "save position" function work to automatically bring up their HomeLink page as the GTK App says it should? Not me! No matter how many times I saved the position, I still have to open the HomeLink screen manually. So, I assigned the "User Definable" button on the right of the instrument cluster. But it doesn't end there...

Its yet another stupid GUI implementation that I have to:

- MANUALLY open up the HomeLink Screen as I back out of my garage to close my garage door
- and then CLOSE my Backup Camera Window to actually ACCESS the underlying HomeLink Screen
- and then MANUALLY re-open the Backup Camera if I want to use it again!

Who writes this stuff? Why can't we have a little pull down window so the HomeLink menu can COEXIST with the backup camera? Am I the only guy who backs out of his garage? Why do I always feel like I am playing a concert piano when I have to do anything with the user interface? It doesn't need to be this complicated!

I guess there is no chance we will ever get the HomeLink system to automatically open/close a garage door based on GPS location (like Tesla) as it pretty much WON'T DO ANYTHING wrt GPS location....

:(
I'm sorry to hear you have so much frustration with the UI of the PCM.
I don't understand why some cars act differently from others.
I drive backwards from my garage too but I'm frustrated that you cannot deselect automatic switch on of the parking system.
I don't need a camera, I know what my driveway looks like...
And, like you said, it's blocking the Homelink pop-up, indeed annoying.
That's why I have the diamond button assigned to the Homelink to close the door while driving backwards...
Still, it works good when I arrive: it pops up and works, no problem there.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm sorry to hear you have so much frustration with the UI of the PCM.
I don't understand why some cars act differently from others.
I drive backwards from my garage too but I'm frustrated that you cannot deselect automatic switch on of the parking system.
I don't need a camera, I know what my driveway looks like...
And, like you said, it's blocking the Homelink pop-up, indeed annoying.
That's why I have the diamond button assigned to the Homelink to close the door while driving backwards...
Still, it works good when I arrive: it pops up and works, no problem there.
Its good that nothing ever changes in your driveway! Like trash cans, animals, children, etc!

...and, as noted earlier, apparently that "diamond button" only opens the door directly if you only have a single door defined. If you have more than one door defined, then it doesn't open the door - it opens the Homelink screen (inaccessible underneath the backup camera screen until you close it)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Its good that nothing ever changes in your driveway! Like trash cans, animals, children, etc!
The emphasis is on the automatic switch on of the parking camera system (and therefore blocking the Homelink pop-up).
I probably would switch it on manually for exactly the reasons you've mentioned.
I know what you mean, don't worry. :)

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The emphasis is on the automatic switch on of the parking camera system (and therefore blocking the Homelink pop-up).
I probably would switch it on manually for exactly the reasons you've mentioned.
I know what you mean, don't worry. :)
We agree! There are so many ways to resolve this. Make the homelink a little pull down menu... Allow us to assign an individual homelink button definition to the user button (instead of the entire menu)...

Its like nobody actually USED the car during testing... "Clipboards and Lab Coats" only...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
We agree! There are so many ways to resolve this. Make the homelink a little pull down menu... Allow us to assign an individual homelink button definition to the user button (instead of the entire menu)...

Its like nobody actually USED the car during testing... "Clipboards and Lab Coats" only...
Sure we agree.
But we handle things differently I guess.
I just adapt to the things I can't change.
Still, I hope Porsche is listening to us, like they did in the past.
But nevertheless, I can understand your frustrations. :)

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure we agree.
But we handle things differently I guess.
I just adapt to the things I can't change.
Still, I hope Porsche is listening to us, like they did in the past.
But nevertheless, I can understand your frustrations. :)
We are all forced to adapt as well. Its not like I'm sitting in the driveway waiting for things to change...

Doesn't mean folks shouldn't be made aware of all these problems and any potential workarounds that might have been discovered along the way.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
We are all forced to adapt as well. Its not like I'm sitting in the driveway waiting for things to change...

Doesn't mean folks shouldn't be made aware of all these problems and any potential workarounds that might have been discovered along the way.
It definitely helps those of us who don’t have their cars yet. I feel it will temper expectations and minimize disappointment. I really appreciate the passionate discussion on this forum and helpful tips. Thank you!!

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I'm very glad for you beta testers ;)

But it is odd - in my world of software it's unheard of not to have a UX department - and this is for companies with far less turnover than Porsche!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I'm very glad for you beta testers ;)

But it is odd - in my world of software it's unheard of not to have a UX department - and this is for companies with far less turnover than Porsche!
It's a car.

The UI works but not everyone is excited about it which is understandable.
I don't like some components of Windows, Word or Excel either.
What were they thinking?!!
I also think there's no company in the world that'll satisfy all of it's customers 100%.
I love this car but that doesn't mean it's perfect.
Still, I'm used to it but it could be better (which I think it will).
Some settings aren't stored (yet).
Annoying? Yes.
Spoiling my mood? No way!

Last edited:

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
Range is actually my only real complaint with Homelink. Do you have Thermally & Noise insulated glass? I had to extend the Liftmaster anntena to outside the garage for a good signal. None of my other vehicles have range issues including the 911

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Range is actually my only real complaint with Homelink. Do you have Thermally & Noise insulated glass? I had to extend the Liftmaster anntena to outside the garage for a good signal. None of my other vehicles have range issues including the 911
I don't have the insulated glass option
Sponsored