Horrible cell phone reception in Taycan - any solutions?

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have the thermally and noise insulated glass or no?

my build locked a couple weeks back but I’ve asked the dealer to remove the glass option based on this thread. Can’t imagine how frustrating that would be, definitely not worth some noise reduction
I do have the thermal and noise glass option. I haven't noticed any detrimental effects whatsoever. BTW, iPhone 12 Pro and T-Mobile, for what its worth.
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I can't find the picture that I found, but there are two rectangles to the right and left of the rear-view mirror mount that they have removed the laminate to allow ez pass to be read through this....I have mounted mine at that angle flush to the rear-view mount (it is almost vertical) and it has now been registering just fine....you just can't have it mounted 'flat' or parallel to the dash/road. I will look for the diagram/picture if I can find it.
I’ve tried here without success in the Taycan. This is the area that works in my other cars. Perhaps I should try a different angle. I’m curious to see your pic. I do have tint - but it’s not metallic - so it shouldn’t interfere but I think it might be. I have a proximity tag for the parking lot at my office and it doesn’t work either. I have to hold it out the window.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Full or standard insulated glass? thermal glass is standard. I have zero reception issues - iPhone 12 as well (if that matters)
The optional Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass. I wouldn’t mention it if it was the standard equipment glass. I just don’t like typing out the full option. Even there, I copy/pasted from the configurator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
I have the thermal insulated glass and I have to say I am absolutely floored at how great the service is in the storage tray in the center console!!! Literally made a DRAMATIC difference and while texting from Siri isn’t quite as easy the fact that I can now talk on the phone is just such a relief I can get over the phone warming up and phone being in the center console, etc.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I was originally debating wether or not to option the thermally insulated glass in my build order because of reading multiple owner issues related to poor cell phone reception inside cars equipped with thermally insulated glass.

However I tested my phone and service (T Mobile) in a few different cars equipped with this option and zero issues for me fortunately.

Pprior

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 428, BMW 328GT, Kumpan electric scooter
Country flag
Interesting that the center booster is required for many to get good service....given that they have removed it for 2022.... ??

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I have the thermal insulated glass and I have to say I am absolutely floored at how great the service is in the storage tray in the center console!!! Literally made a DRAMATIC difference and while texting from Siri isn’t quite as easy the fact that I can now talk on the phone is just such a relief I can get over the phone warming up and phone being in the center console, etc.
I seem to always have a strong connection no matter where my phone is located (pocket, mount next to the center console display, etc.) No trouble with overheating. I don't think it matters much that my phone is an Android, or that it doesn't have wireless charging (not a problem, as it rapid-charges by integrated cable connection in my phone mount that clips to the center console).

It's baffling why many Taycan drivers seem to have difficulty with it. I know it's real, because of the ubiquitous comments on the topic, but it's weird that I haven't experienced any trace of these signal problems. The PCM also seems to maintain good connections, whether in town or on a long road trip, even through some of the known dead spots in coverage between Santa Fe and Wagon Mound.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Another poster found the picture I remembered and I attached it below on where to and what angle to place the toll pass. I have mine on the passenger side and I can't see it when I drive, but this is the illustration I was talking about on it being at the overhead consul / rear view mirror set-up. You can see that it has to be at a slight angle and not perpendicular or parallel to the road (which is how I had it).

Hope this helps!

Porsche Taycan Horrible cell phone reception in Taycan - any solutions? 1627442343712

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Thanks. I often put my phone in the charger, however I didn’t realize that connected it to the external antenna. Leaning Taycan nuances every day!

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Resurfacing this thread because the 2022 are going to start coming out soon and I read that they removed the external antenna. I wanted to spec the Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass but I'm very apprehensive now. I'm getting the Burmester stereo and live in a hot climate so I really thought it would be a good fit, but not at the expense of cell service.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Resurfacing this thread because the 2022 are going to start coming out soon and I read that they removed the external antenna. I wanted to spec the Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass but I'm very apprehensive now. I'm getting the Burmester stereo and live in a hot climate so I really thought it would be a good fit, but not at the expense of cell service.
I have the glass and use a iPhone X on AT&T. Haven't had any issues even when driving through areas that were previously dead zones. I don't do the whole center console wireless charging thing.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have the glass and use a iPhone X on AT&T. Haven't had any issues even when driving through areas that were previously dead zones. I don't do the whole center console wireless charging thing.
Thanks for your reply. I have Iphone 11 on Verizon right now. I'll probably get the next iPhone when it comes out.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It might be 5G related if that is what you currently on. I have AT&T with iPhone 12 and the signal in my condo is nearly non-existent now that they upgraded to 5G. (I have not really checked it in the Taycan but now I will look).

My wife's iPhone 12 has no signal either, however her iPhone X and 11 both have perfect signals with LTE (yes, she has three phones). I suspect is is 5G related because the iPhone 12 s are the only ones on it. I may be wrong of course.

My thought is is due to the extra thick thermal insulated and polarized full glass walls that are in my condo. I only have one exterior wall that is not glass and that faces the interior hallways.

If I go out on my Lanai, perfect signal.
First off "Fight On", as for the glass, it says in the manual and on the website that thermally insulated glass may impede cell reception. I have not found it to be much of a problem, but will say, until I coded the car with my garage door codes, the garage door controller was difficult to get a signal out, unless I opened the window.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
I have not found it to be much of a problem, but will say, until I coded the car with my garage door codes, the garage door controller was difficult to get a signal out, unless I opened the window.
I have the exact same issue with my garage door openers but have not had signal issues with my T-Mobile phone. In regards to the garage door openers, they still work but the range is compromised somewhat.

Avharrisjr

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne S, and Taycan
Country flag
I can't find the picture that I found, but there are two rectangles to the right and left of the rear-view mirror mount that they have removed the laminate to allow ez pass to be read through this....I have mounted mine at that angle flush to the rear-view mount (it is almost vertical) and it has now been registering just fine....you just can't have it mounted 'flat' or parallel to the dash/road. I will look for the diagram/picture if I can find it.
It would be great if you could post a pic taken from outside!
Sponsored