RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I love to stay at hotels that have chargers. In Niagara Falls, NY recently stayed at hotel with 2 Tesla chargers. I used my Tesla Tap (for the first time) and it worked just fine. Ironically, I found myself charging next to a real Tesla and they were interested in how I was able to charge. Also, ironically, he was not even staying at the hotel (which was lax about this)...a good emergency option that might be useful to some?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yes tesla taps should be in the frunk of all ev owners in north america 1 it’s just useful!

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I love to stay at hotels that have chargers. In Niagara Falls, NY recently stayed at hotel with 2 Tesla chargers. I used my Tesla Tap (for the first time) and it worked just fine. Ironically, I found myself charging next to a real Tesla and they were interested in how I was able to charge. Also, ironically, he was not even staying at the hotel (which was lax about this)...a good emergency option that might be useful to some?
Yep, like many of the folks on this forum I have a TeslaTap mini (60 amp) in the glove compartment along with some small locks to prevent folks from disconnecting the electricity (and possibly damaging the chargeport) while charging.

I suspect the unwritten rule is that Teslas can charge anywhere anytime, while non-Tesla owners can use one of the hotel's Tesla Destination Chargers (DCs) first come first served if they are guests at the hotel. If the DCs aren't occupied and you're not staying at the hotel, ask the hotel manager anyway if you can use one - you might get a break!

I was at a hotel at the Grand Canyon last week, and the hotel had 3 Tesla DCs and 5 Chargeways. I used my TeslaTap and hooked up to a DC no prob.

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Yes this is a great feature but something happened to me.
i was at the hotel charging the Taycan on a Tesla destination charger. I was there for one hour when a lady came in and claimed she need power. The valet just unplug the Tesla plug put it on her car.
I got a nice error charger and was not able to complete the charge. It seems that the lady was even telling “how it is possible that someone without a Tesla can charge here”. All of that was explained with great diplomacy by the valet once I realized the error on my phone.
I was speechless.
actually do you know a way to lock the adapter on the Tesla plug?

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I purchased two small locks for my Tesla Tap mini.The Tap is designed to accommodate the locks.

Last edited:

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I purchased two small locks for my Tesla Tap. The Tap is designed to accommodate the locks.
I'll start carrying a small lock as well, but why two? Isn't it impossible to remove the Tesla Tap from the Taycan while the doors are locked, same as all other charging plugs? Ahhh, but then there's the problem of the misguided valet, who is able to unlock the car. Maybe I answered my own question.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I do not see any lock possibility on mine.

0612C038-A335-4D84-BB22-88D8D0D5C698.jpeg
I saw that one, too, but once I saw others on Amazon.com that had locks, I bought an adaptor that locks. The locks are sold separately. Theoretically you don't need to lock the Taycan side (the top lever in the photos) when charging. But having a lock there will hopefully prevent a (insert your own adjective here) person from trying to remove the adapter from the Taycan's chargeport when said person doesn't know that the Taycan chargeport locks when charging.
Porsche Taycan Hotel charging ..via a Tesla destination charger 1659814584646

Porsche Taycan Hotel charging ..via a Tesla destination charger 1659814604931