How attractive is the Taycan really to car thieves?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I did buy a keylessgo box after this video
Remember not to keep a spare set of keys out of a faraday's cage box.

the charger also works as an extra lock and then there is intrusion and gps alarm.
If they do the relay attack, or any attack which successfully impersonates the key, the charge port unlocks. If they are brute force stealing the car via a tow truck, cutting the charger cable is trivial (and fairly safe as the charge has many safeties built into make sure nobody gets hurt). The charger really only serves to protect against opportunistic thieves if you leave your keys in the car, and the thief cannot figure out that they need to unplug before driving (would take some really dumb thief).

Big floodlight with movement sensor shining over the car, Not sure what else you can do.
Sometimes it works, though obviously not in that video. Well lit parking is generally a good idea.

Bottom line is if someone really wants to steal your car and they are smart and determined, there isn't much you can do to prevent that. That said, you cannot live your life in fear of what might happen - that's why you get car insurance. Following a few common sense things, such as a faraday cage for your keys if you regularly part outside on your driveway, never leave your car unlocked, etc. should be sufficient.

PS> I wish car manufacturers would implement more secure keys. A simple idea would be for the keys to disable all transmissions after a period of no motion. So, if you place your keys on a table, or hand them, 30 minutes later they can no longer be relayed. In the car it's not an issue at all as the car is in fact moving, so there will always be motion detected on the key, and even if there wasn't, the car doesn't just grind to a halt if the key was in the car before and suddenly is not detected. There are more advanced (also more expensive) ideas to prevent relay attacks too.
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Remember not to keep a spare set of keys out of a faraday's cage box.

PS> I wish car manufacturers would implement more secure keys. A simple idea would be for the keys to disable all transmissions after a period of no motion. So, if you place your keys on a table, or hand them, 30 minutes later they can no longer be relayed.
I'm sure i read somewhere that some manufacturers do this. BMW for example. I think I read JLR also doing something similar, but that obv doesn't work given how many RRs seem to get pinched.

I deliberately didn't option comfort access on my Taycan as SA said he'd had a few customers lose stuff out of their boots (not sure if Taycan specific or other models too). It is a bit of a pain, but not big deal.

I do have keyless entry on our Range Rover, but often disable it (clicking a few buttons on the fob in the correct order), but it annoys HIDs!

I also have steering locks on both now. No idea if that's really a deterrent or not though.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I also have steering locks on both now. No idea if that's really a deterrent or not though.
While it might stop a kid looking for a joy ride, so will the electronic immobilizer nowadays. I once watched a documentary about car thefts and saw an interview with an ex-car-thief who would actually seek out cars with "the club" (a manual steering wheel lock) as apparently a simple cordless drill turns the club into a helpful crowbar like device, without having to bring one with you to the thefts. It is then used as leverage to break steering wheel locking mechanisms, pry open trunks, etc. Apparently it's easier to conceal a power drill than a large crowbar, and less suspicious should you get stopped by law enforcement. Unintended consequences of good intentions.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm sure i read somewhere that some manufacturers do this. BMW for example. I think I read JLR also doing something similar, but that obv doesn't work given how many RRs seem to get pinched.

I deliberately didn't option comfort access on my Taycan as SA said he'd had a few customers lose stuff out of their boots (not sure if Taycan specific or other models too). It is a bit of a pain, but not big deal.

I do have keyless entry on our Range Rover, but often disable it (clicking a few buttons on the fob in the correct order), but it annoys HIDs!

Comfort Access resulted in my boot being open for an hour or two while parked in central London - a thief hit the jackpot and hauled a faulty kitchen appliance we were returning. That function was then quickly disabled.

Last edited:

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Had my boot open for an hour or two while parked in a good London area - a thief hauled a faulty kitchen appliance we were returning.

Hope he/she at least could pick it for parts:)
Hope they didn't cut or electrocute themselves on it. They'll probably come back and sue you for not putting a clear warning on display.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While it might stop a kid looking for a joy ride, so will the electronic immobilizer nowadays. I once watched a documentary about car thefts and saw an interview with an ex-car-thief who would actually seek out cars with "the club" (a manual steering wheel lock) as apparently a simple cordless drill turns the club into a helpful crowbar like device, without having to bring one with you to the thefts. It is then used as leverage to break steering wheel locking mechanisms, pry open trunks, etc. Apparently it's easier to conceal a power drill than a large crowbar, and less suspicious should you get stopped by law enforcement. Unintended consequences of good intentions.
Guess i need to get a Rottweiler to use it as it's kennel at night!

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I wonder if the key isn't still sending signals even if you don't option keyless entry. I mean, you can buy or subscribe the option and the central servers send that info to the car, not to the key. So the key most likely is transmitting even if the car doesn't have that option... waste of battery.

Speaking of battery, the trick to temporarily disable keyless entry (holding both buttons for x seconds), stops the transmission correct? But on the other hand, the porsche logo on the key will stay on indefinitely (wasting battery power) correct? So there's no way to put the key "to sleep" so to speak?

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Comfort Access resulted in my boot being open for an hour or two while parked in central London - a thief hit the jackpot and hauled a faulty kitchen appliance we were returning. That function was then quickly disabled.

Hope he/she could at least pick it for parts:)
Walked parked a business a few weeks back and there was a Tincan with the boot open in the staff car park. Popped into reception for my good deed for the day.

Love comfort access but do check doors and boot as I walk away!

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I always manually close with fob when walking away.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Being someone who has left the boot open on his MB multiple times (I assume by placing the key/lanyard in my back pocket and sitting on it), this scenario kinda worries me.

How does the boot open by itself with comfort access?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I don't have comfort access. My key is so prone when in my pocket to open the rear hatch that I've stuck a sheet of thick cardboard on the rear wall of the garage to protect the hatch from scraping on bare breeze block.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have comfort access. My key is so prone when in my pocket to open the rear hatch that I've stuck a sheet of thick cardboard on the rear wall of the garage to protect the hatch from scraping on bare breeze block.
Glad I'm not the only one (albeit with another car 🤣)

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
If your car is spec'd with comfort access (perhaps by wanting another option and this one comes with it) can you disable it?
Sponsored