How attractive is the Taycan really to car thieves?

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Comfort access is great. I think everyone is a bit too paranoid here. Stick a steering wheel lock on and you'll sleep at night. There's no point having these amazing cars if you are going to treat it like a Ford Model T. Live a little!
Sponsored

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Around its time of release – the Taycan with comfort access optioned – did well to prevent relay attacks when tested by a third-party security organisation:

https://www.thatcham.org/latest-consumer-security-ratings-released/
I still wonder about the legality of the whole thing.

1. Porsche has a note on their website that they can't assure 100% safety with comfort access

2. They've been shipping comfort access in the last couple of months even if not requested by the client (I would be thrilled if it happened to me because I think it's not worth the 1.3K on a 100K+ car)

3. If one of these cars with "unsolicited" comfort access is stolen with the remote hijacking technique, won't Porsche be legally in trouble as the client (if they somehow don't have full insurance coverage - ok, almost impossible) could argue he didn't want comfort access and they still provided it?

I don't know. Feels fishy to say at best. I don't see Porsche or any manufacturer just giving something for free by mistake while others are paying for the same feature. There's something more behind it. They certainly are doing it on purpose (at least in Europe) for some unknown reason. I hope it's not to beta test the system 😅

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I keep mine in a faraday box. Do you use a pouch outside of the house?
From what I can tell most relay thefts are happening from home....

So use it at home mostly as I figure the car is in the same spot (and relatively) close proximity to the keys. Not that they're kept anywhere near the door (for any dear thieves reading).

So I figure the risk at home is higher than a 'random' if out and about.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
From what I can tell most relay thefts are happening from home....

So use it at home mostly as I figure the car is in the same spot (and relatively) close proximity to the keys. Not that they're kept anywhere near the door (for any dear thieves reading).

So I figure the risk at home is higher than a 'random' if out and about.
Yeah my thoughts too. Mine aren't near the front door either.

I keep looking for a well designed, very secure key safe that will bolt into the wall/floor and that has RF protection and fingerprint opening. Not found a decent looking one yet

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah my thoughts too. Mine aren't near the front door either.

I keep looking for a well designed, very secure key safe that will bolt into the wall/floor and that has RF protection and fingerprint opening. Not found a decent looking one yet
Nah, unfortunately they're all horrible looking things that wouldn't look out of place at a car rental place.
Sponsored