How attractive is the Taycan really to car thieves?

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Has anyone heard of a Taycan stolen? I just don't know what a thief would do with it. No moving parts. Strip it down and what? Put the parts in another Taycan? Rip the motors out and put in another... Err Taycan? I guess you could sell the calipers, seats and wheels. If they targeted a car 🚗 they wouldn't know what the charge is. It's not like the Range Rovers that get nicked round here and driven straight down the A2 to a shipping container. How many thieves will go and do 30 minute charge. The app find my car will show it. Can I thief stop the car talking to Porsche? It would require a proper hacker. The same applies to any EV in my opinion.
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Very interesting question. Maybe they cut them open, sell the lithium, dispose of the body? Melt the metal and sell it by weight? Sell the chips to Tesla (that would be ironic) since there's a chip shortage worldwide?

I don't know. Hard to imagine what the heck you can do with a "connected" car anyway. Pull out the sim and remove it from the grid? Then what? The car is kinda half of what it is without connectivity I assume. The traditional african/south american market isn't that great with charging networks... What will the prospective buyer do once the heat pump fails?

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
JLR products are what’s in demand. Easy to nick, pretty easy to hide, plenty of ‘customers’.

I can’t really see something as connected and traceable as a Taycan being targeted. Not taking any chances however so tracker on and keys kept in RF screened pouches.

if I had an Evoque or RR it would have to be chained down - be it town or country.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
A simple phone signal blocker will stop the car talking to Porsche, leaving them free to pull the sim.
Logistically, thieves would need to be a little more prepared in order to avoid using the charging network. A convenient flatbed can sort that bit.
The Taycan is full of expensive equipment, unless the electronics are linked to a VIN, there's no reason why it couldn't be cut up and parted out.

Having said that, it's much more of a pain when you can just go after a Land Rover, or a KIA with a USB key!

• Haha
Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Very interesting question. Maybe they cut them open, sell the lithium, dispose of the body? Melt the metal and sell it by weight? Sell the chips to Tesla (that would be ironic) since there's a chip shortage worldwide?

I don't know. Hard to imagine what the heck you can do with a "connected" car anyway. Pull out the sim and remove it from the grid? Then what? The car is kinda half of what it is without connectivity I assume. The traditional african/south american market isn't that great with charging networks... What will the prospective buyer do once the heat pump fails?
A 'connected car' - that's a laugh - regularly lose connectivity and many kept underground and therefore offline.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am aware of 2 being stolen
1 on here taken from the dealers (US).
This one on YT - which the thieves don't seem to know how to drive

• Wow
OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am aware of 2 being stolen

Not saying they don't get stolen. I just don't know what they can do with it except a jolly nice joyride.

And omg 😂 why do people leave their keys easy to find?

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
If they get the keys, then yeah obv. all bets are off. Thats a break and enter and car theft.

I'd like to know if any have been taken by either:
- a directed relay attack on the keys
- hack or otherwise attack via the API
- or simply flat bed the thing.

I'm guessing its not that prevalent, but would be useful if there are real world examples.

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- or simply flat bed the thing.

I thought the alarm has a spirit level especially for flat bed type theft etc and triggers if the car is angled. Could be wrong. Would not be the first time.

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
I think would it be a good chance for the thieves If comfort access enable.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I thought the alarm has a spirit level especially for flat bed type theft etc and triggers if the car is angled. Could be wrong. Would not be the first time.
Correct.
I found that out when mine was flat bed to the dealer for the heater this month.

Car was unlocked and alarm activated.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Not saying they don't get stolen. I just don't know what they can do with it except a jolly nice joyride.

And omg 😂 why do people leave their keys easy to find?
Ideally you don't leave them visible from outside.
But don't hide them either.
You don't want to be fighting a masked gang at 3am in your bedroom (personal experience a few years back).

Leave them downstairs, but hidden from outside view. That said, I did that.....and they still thought we had them in the bedroom!

OP
OP
gusone

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ideally you don't leave them visible from outside.
But don't hide them either.
You don't want to be fighting a masked gang at 3am in your bedroom (personal experience a few years back).

Leave them downstairs, but hidden from outside view. That said, I did that.....and they still thought we had them in the bedroom!
Did you have a perimeter alarm setting 🚨 set at night with impact sensors on all windows and doors?
Sponsored