How best to future-proof my Taycan purchase?

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I am approaching my lock date and remain confused (which does not take too much apparently) about some of the options, particularly around software-related options (Innodrive, etc). With the Tesla, we get updates that make the driving experience safer and better. I realize Porsche is not intending to replicate Tesla's self-driving capabilities, but I wonder if Innodrive (which many on the forums have complained about) can get better over time via downloadable or automatic updates.

More generally, what have others done to future proof their purchase? Part of me feels a lease is the best route, but I had two prior Porsches for 10 years each, so leasing never made sense before.

As an aside I've tried to get answers from the dealer but it seems the sales people are not particularly interested in earning business since everything is being ordered. I've never had that experience before and its pretty frustrating.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you want a more Future proof vehicle I would humbly suggest Tesla is your only option at this point in the product cycles. I would not recommend purchasing a VW/Audi/Porsche product and assuming it will get better over time due to software update.

I recommend you go into the purchase with the assumption it will remain mostly the same through it‘s service life and any software updates you receive will be to address debilitating defects (12V death, false drive train faults, etc) and no changes to key systems other than PCM and cosmetic changes.

I do not believe you can have any reasonable expectation of it being any other way. Order the car the way you want it - and expect it to conform to those standards for the service life of the vehicle. Any other expectation is simply wishful thinking.

Lease is your best route if you don’t want to be left with accelerated depreciation due to rapid technical advances in battery or EV tech.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
@daveo4EV - appreciate that. However I am now coming to find there are some options I can add later via FOD, which I never heard about in the showroom. That's a form of future-proofing, no?

Would help to have a competent salesperson but lacking that, I am grateful to have found this forum.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am approaching my lock date and remain confused (which does not take too much apparently) about some of the options, particularly around software-related options (Innodrive, etc). With the Tesla, we get updates that make the driving experience safer and better. I realize Porsche is not intending to replicate Tesla's self-driving capabilities, but I wonder if Innodrive (which many on the forums have complained about) can get better over time via downloadable or automatic updates.

More generally, what have others done to future proof their purchase? Part of me feels a lease is the best route, but I had two prior Porsches for 10 years each, so leasing never made sense before.

As an aside I've tried to get answers from the dealer but it seems the sales people are not particularly interested in earning business since everything is being ordered. I've never had that experience before and its pretty frustrating.
Long time Porsche buyer here.
If you don't want regrets, make sure to get impactful options that cannot be retrofit.

To me that's Premium package, Sport Chrono package (so you get Sport+ mode) and the bigger battery.
Innodrive and ALK can be retrofit in software as long as you get ACC.

Why Premium package? It includes a lot of must-haves for me:

- Bose
- Heated/Cooled Seats
- Surround Mode
- Panoramic Roof
- Electric Sport Sound

It has a few head-scratchers too (like the Ionizer) but mostly it's worth it.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Oh yeah I almost forgot - I leased a Porsche once. Never again.

Why?

- I loved the car too much and went way over the mileage limit
- The car had normal wear that was going to cost me thousands at turn-in time (Porsche is quite strict based on the lease-end guide they sent me.)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
if you want a more Future proof vehicle I would humbly suggest Tesla is your only option at this point in the product cycles. I would not recommend purchasing a VW/Audi/Porsche product and assuming it will get better over time due to software update.
How do you come to that conclusion?

You might know this EV car rental company in Germany:

Porsche Taycan How best to future-proof my Taycan purchase? 1628729479848

The owner bought a new EV for himself. So I asked him, why not a Model Y?

Porsche Taycan How best to future-proof my Taycan purchase? 1628729666773

He replied: I would like to know before my purchase by which technical specifications (promises) a manufacturer is measured and do not want any subsequent degredations OTA.

This reflects my 5.5 years experience with my MS90D, first and foremost the AP.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
If you don't want regrets, make sure to get impactful options that cannot be retrofit.

To me that's Premium package, Sport Chrono package (so you get Sport+ mode) and the bigger battery.

- Bose
- Heated/Cooled Seats
- Surround Mode
- Panoramic Roof
- Electric Sport Sound

Agree with this list. Premium package, ACC, Sport Chrono, Sport Sound, and Perf Battery are all must haves.

The only other option which improves resale beyond this appears to be the Mission E wheels.

I have been watching the 2020 Taycan 4S used market over the past few weeks, and the cars with all of these options seem to go quickest. Plus they seem to have the most residual value.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Oh yeah I almost forgot - I leased a Porsche once. Never again.

Why?

- I loved the car too much and went way over the mileage limit
- The car had normal wear that was going to cost me thousands at turn-in time (Porsche is quite strict based on the lease-end guide they sent me.)
Do you have that lease-end guide handy? I'm currently on a lease, would be curious what their standards are for normal wear and tear.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Do you have that lease-end guide handy? I'm currently on a lease, would be curious what their standards are for normal wear and tear.
Sorry no - that was quite a while ago.

From memory:

- Any stars on the windshield = replace
- Any chips on the paint = repaint that panel
- Any tears in the leather = repair

My car had like 60K on it and was well used. It had all of that wear and more. I ended up selling it to Carmax instead (as is) and came out ahead.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag

From memory:

My car had like 60K on it and was well used. It had all of that wear and more. I ended up selling it to Carmax instead (as is) and came out ahead.
Ah, no worries. Those responses make sense, I wouldn't consider any of those things normal wear and tear :)

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

- Bose
- Heated/Cooled Seats
- Surround Mode
- Panoramic Roof
- Electric Sport Sound

i don’t believe Premium pack includes sports sound. It does include the folding mirrors now as well as lane keep assist, PDLS headlights & 14 way seats - as you say, it’s a must have package.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
True, I did have some rock chips in my 20k mile Tesla. The cracked windshield and leather tears though, definitely not normal wear and tear.
Well the leather tear was more of a single spot rubbed raw than a tear, but yeah. I cared for the car but used it heavily and it showed.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

From memory:

none of those requirements are unique to porsche. every car that is returned after the lease is subject to similar requirements.
one big one that you've omitted it tires, the tires must have decent tread depth or they will ding you for those.

your final remark is the key remark, if you are in a situation where you are liable for high fees consider buying the car then selling it off on your own.
my son recently got about 6k over the residual for his lexus that was coming off lease.
Sponsored