How dark are thermally & noise insulated glass windows?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Did anyone measure light transmissivity of the thermally and noise insulated windows? I saw in videos it's slightly darker than non insulated glass, but could not find the percentage transmissivity. I'd like to use that number so that I can order the appropriate tint film ahead of the car's arrival.

ANSWER: see post #10 below.
Sponsored

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Videos may skew the color but It's not darker - has a slight frosted look to it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I wonder if it varies from country to country depending on local laws and typical weather?
Here in the UK “thermally insulated glass all round” is standard and the option is just named “Acoustically insulated laminated glass” in the UK configurator, though there is a graphic showing a small reduction in UV transmission too.
Most of the year here the best solution is no tint at all for the side windows :)

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Videos may skew the color but It's not darker - has a slight frosted look to it.
I have had both insulated an non-insulated on my Taycans. The insulated is definitely slightly darker. I have not measured it (I assume I need some sort of tool for that, but not sure what) but it looks darker from the outside and with the door open I can see the tinted film because it does not extend all the way to the edge of the window. I'll try to get a picture sometime today.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I have had both insulated an non-insulated on my Taycans. The insulated is definitely slightly darker. I have not measured it (I assume I need some sort of tool for that, but not sure what) but it looks darker from the outside and with the door open I can see the tinted film because it does not extend all the way to the edge of the window. I'll try to get a picture sometime today.
Here’s a photo…

Porsche Taycan How dark are thermally & noise insulated glass windows? C1343FF1-F361-42EE-97DA-2794DFB43667

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here’s a photo…

C1343FF1-F361-42EE-97DA-2794DFB43667.jpeg
Thanks. This is what I was wondering if anyone measured. There are meters out there which measure it, I picked up this one for under $100 last year for a project I was doing which looks like this:
Porsche Taycan How dark are thermally & noise insulated glass windows? 1674593696484

Obviously adding tint on top of this already darker window will make it darker than adding same tint to a clear window. I realize most people won't care so much, I have specific preferences and don't like my windows being too dark for night driving. I actually tint the front side windows lighter than the back for better night visibility (especially if the car has dimming side mirrors already).

I'm currently planning a 3,000 mile fly-and-drive pickup next month, so was thinking whether I would ask the dealer to do the tint prior to pickup, but maybe I'll just drive it as is and figure out the tint once I've got the car in my garage and can take actual measurements.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Did anyone measure light transmissivity of the thermally and noise insulated windows? I saw in videos it's slightly darker than non insulated glass, but could not find the percentage transmissivity. I'd like to use that number so that I can order the appropriate tint film ahead of the car's arrival.
In North America not in any why that is noticeable…it's mostly the double pane thickness and heat reflecting coatings - not actually significantly "darker" windows.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In North America not in any why that is noticeable…it's mostly the double pane thickness and heat reflecting coatings - not actually significantly "darker" windows.
The picture from post #5 above does show it visibly darker (remember, VLT percentages multiply when stacking films). Once I actually get my car (in about a month) I will measure the Visual Light Transmissivity (along with UVR and IRR since the meter has them) and will post it here for reference.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thermally & Noise insulated windows block 21% of visible light, 100% UV, and 79% of infra-red. I measured front and rear side windows. I don't have the equipment to measure rear glass or roof.

Porsche Taycan How dark are thermally & noise insulated glass windows? 1677202599419

Last edited:

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
Thermally & Noise insulated windows block 21% of light, 100% UV, and 79% of infra-red. I measured front and rear side windows. Don't have the equipment to measure rear glass or roof.

1677202599419.png
This info is very helpful, and I do have concerns about visibility at night as well. Would like to get tint as I live in Florida and I did get the thermal and noise glass on my incoming car. What percent tint did you end up getting? I know that stacking tints are not linear, and it seems that the thermal glass is at 79%. I was thinking doing a 35% tint? On the side glass and rear. Any thoughts? Btw, if you have recommendations as to brand or type of tint, they are welcomed.

NFBJRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’m looking into tints on a GTS I’ll be picking up soon that has the insulated glass and chalk interior. I’ve always gone 15% on black interior cars. I’m thinking I may need to layer the tints to get the desired look. If anyone has experience with this or the appearance of a sedan with 15% and chalk, I’d appreciate pictures and/or advice.

Thanks!

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This info is very helpful, and I do have concerns about visibility at night as well. Would like to get tint as I live in Florida and I did get the thermal and noise glass on my incoming car. What percent tint did you end up getting? I know that stacking tints are not linear, and it seems that the thermal glass is at 79%. I was thinking doing a 35% tint? On the side glass and rear. Any thoughts? Btw, if you have recommendations as to brand or type of tint, they are welcomed.
Sorry, I missed your question until now. I ended up with 15% rear, 35% front (Stek Smart Ceramic tint). Here are the measured numbers before and after:

VLT
UVR
IRR
OEM T&N insulated glass
79.0%​
100%​
78.8%​
T&N insulated + 35% Stek Smart Ceramin tint
30.5%​
100%​
93.3%​
T&N insulated + 15% Stek Smart Ceramin tint
13.0%​
100%​
92.9%​

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@whitex,

Do you know of or run into any problems tinting over the thermal & noise insulated glass?
I did that when I got my car in February, no problems whatsoever so far, and I don't expect any really.
Sponsored