How did your friends react to the car ... ?

Manyana

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
, 718 Spyder, Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Hi All, First time buyer of a Porsche (totally fell in love with the CT4S when test drove the car). If all goes well I should get the car in January 2023. As the deadline approaches I'm starting to think about how other people will react to the car. I know I shouldn't give any importance to it but still...

Many of my friends aren't used to buy +130k cars, let alone a Porsche.

I've already had comments such as: "That car is definitely not worth that price tag" or "Electric is not the futur, your car will depreciate so fast", "Tesla does it better (lol)", etc... I feel like there will be a lot of negativity surrounding the car from people around me.

I'm wondering if other people did face similar situation and how they dealt with it.
Get new friends 😂
Sponsored

AHayat

First Name
Amjad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, Audi A7 Comp Edition, CLS53 AMG
Country flag
Seriously, my close friends know I am a car guy. I’ve had sports cars since the 1970’s including a couple of E-Type Jaguars, a 1966 Shelby Mustang, an Alfa Romeo, BMW M3 and a BMW 650i. They all are excited about the CT 4S and happy for me. Some folks don’t get my love for cars and don’t understand why someone would spend six figures on a car. I think many of them see cars as appliances.

The only really negative reaction was my (now) ex-wife. I’ve been battling an aggressive prostate cancer for a couple of years. So far, the prognosis is good, but one never knows. I decided I wanted a new car, built to my specifications and I wanted to go EV. The Taycan CT was the perfect car for me. When I first broached the subject with her she was supportive but then she did a 180 and told me we were too different and that she wanted a divorce. This was all a few weeks before I started two months of daily radiation treatment.

The car certainly didn’t cause the divorce. My ex-wife is a very unhappy person and I’m much happier now. The Porsche certainly helps!
Hope You are well brother, wish You all the best. You will definitely enjoy the car and I pray you will be writing a review in 3-4 years time.

WarryBhite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S, BMW IX3
Country flag
Been there... Done that... Moved on...

If you look from it from a philosophical / economic standpoint the purchase of this car makes no sense whatsoever. The purpose of a car is taking you from A to B. A dirt cheap second had car will fulfill this role equally and evenly fast (if you keep yourself to the speed limits which we all do :angel: )...

BUT... Emotions come into play.

If you like the car and have the financial room to buy the car there's actually no one who should judge you or give you "that look"...
I myself drove a X545e before this and colleagues with Porsches got more "beef" at customers parking lots because it was a Porsche although it costed less than my BMW.

It all comes down to perspective. People will judge you based on the outside and what they see from the outside. True friends will know what you have to do to buy such a car. Others will just see the car and have their opinion. Everybody has their own priorities:
  • Some like to go on holidays 4 times a year
  • Some like expensive Lego sets
  • Some even like life reenactments with very expensive costumes
  • Some like watches that almost cost as much as our car...
  • Some like to go to a multi star restaurant...
If you can do all of the above good for you! You like to own a nice car and went for it. No shame here...

I dealt with family and friends and believe me: I was also afraid to break the news to parents and relatives. Some like it... Some don't. That's the way the cookie crumbles when you (unwillingly) put you in the spotlight with a nice car. If you add a pool in your backyard people will also talk, if you buy an expensive watch people will talk,... People will always talk, it's up to you to decide whether you will listen and eventually care what they say (probably behind your back).

As a fellow Belgian I always emphasize the fiscal aspect but be honest: that's an added bonus to buy this car and not the main reason.

For now. Just enjoy the excitement of achieving something, take delivery and don't hide the car. You literally earned it...

ayoussef

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I ordered a RWD yet to be delivered and I’m anticipating some comments, probably mostly behind my back. I always find it interesting how ruffled people get over things other people spend their own money on. I’m a woman who absolutely loves designer handbags, Chanel in particular, and it’s not just to carry them. I know the history behind pieces, look for vintage hard to find items, sell them at a profit, etc. It’s more of a hobby, yet everyone looks at me like I’m somehow defined by the purse I carry. Last time I checked I didn’t use their money to buy my bags or car, nor do they pay my taxes. People’s behavior never ceases to amaze me. The comments from some of your friends tells me you need new friends 🙂

I actually purposely did not debadge the Taycan so that people I know can see I in fact got the “cheapest” model available. If I debadged it they may go into a tailspin trying to figure out if I went wild and got the Turbo or somehow tempered my insanity and got a 4S 🤣 Wish I could say I don’t care what people think but I’m not there yet. At least we have each other on this forum.

Farinas

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Range Rover Velar, 17 Audi A6, 22 Taycan 4s
Country flag
90 percent are happy for me. It’s an excuse to go out on weekend mornings and have a spirited drive. The other ten have larger families. I said you decided to have 3 kids and i had one. Over time I’ll save money! The dads usually nod silently at me.

in all seriousness, this was a bucket list thing for me and almost everyone I know, knows this was a goal this since my college days. (I just turned 50). Always thought I was saving for a 911…..

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
I ordered a RWD yet to be delivered and I’m anticipating some comments, probably mostly behind my back. I always find it interesting how ruffled people get over things other people spend their own money on. I’m a woman who absolutely loves designer handbags, Chanel in particular, and it’s not just to carry them. I know the history behind pieces, look for vintage hard to find items, sell them at a profit, etc. It’s more of a hobby, yet everyone looks at me like I’m somehow defined by the purse I carry. Last time I checked I didn’t use their money to buy my bags or car, nor do they pay my taxes. People’s behavior never ceases to amaze me. The comments from some of your friends tells me you need new friends 🙂

I actually purposely did not debadge the Taycan so that people I know can see I in fact got the “cheapest” model available. If I debadged it they may go into a tailspin trying to figure out if I went wild and got the Turbo or somehow tempered my insanity and got a 4S 🤣 Wish I could say I don’t care what people think but I’m not there yet. At least we have each other on this forum.
As a fellow female car enthusiast, I will let you know that moving past what other people say is extremely freeing. I do not buy designer bags, or shoes, I am not big into jewelry, I spend money on quality items of clothing that last, but still not as much as designer items, I don't do mani/pedis either. I have told my husband that spending money on vehicles is probably saving him money in the long run, and he takes my "old" vehicle when I order a new one so they are driven 5-7 years total.
OP, it is hard to deal with others disapproval, but at the end of the day you need to decide if the Taycan is going to make you happy, because ultimately you are the one spending your hard earned money on it. People will always talk, it is just human nature to judge others choices, partially to make us feel better about our own.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I go back and forth on this stuff but I think ultimately you have to try and be happy with what you have and enjoy it. There will always be people that have less than you AND MORE than you - no matter how well-off or poor you are, so just be considerate and live your life how you want to. "Keeping up with the Jones'" is a real issue until you realise that the Jones will always have more because the Jones will be different people as you "advance" in life. You buy your Taycan Turbo, a neighbour will have a Turbo S, you move house, a neighbour will have a bigger house, you make a million, a friend will make 10 million. The issue is you have to make the adjustment to be happy with the no doubt wonderful life you have. The people buying a Ford Fiesta will be thinking the same about you as you are about the Jones - it is human nature. Do you resent the Jones for having more? I would hope not, although one thing us Brits are terrible at is celebrating success and ambition, often defaulting to resentment. Perhaps because we have such a divide between inherited "landed" wealth and those that have built themselves up from nothing - something that exists less in "newer nations".

I kind of lost my thread in there somewhere but there is gold if you dig deep enough.

OP
OP
Leverage

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Some very deep posts & thoughts so I'd like to thank you all for participating on this subject.

Kaxtos

First Name
AD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 23
Country flag
  • Dont feel guilty about your purchase if you purchased wisely. (Meaning you can afford it)
  • Who cares if your friends dont like electric, its your car only you need to like it.
  • Real friends will tell you they love it even if they dont, just because they know how much you like it.
  • If anyone says otherwise they jealous they cant offord.
  • Am actually getting delivery to my Taycan tomorrow.. volcano grey with the 21" mission-e all black.
  • I havent mentioned anything to anyone, only my family knows, as i didnt want talks.
  • Its funny you guys know before all my friends..lol
  • And always remember , its just a car, humility is your friend, you just purchased someones dream car that they may never be able to afford.
  • And dont talk about the car too much at begging, as it may come out as bragging.

Sushivore

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Most of my friends were shocked, as buying an expensive car is very much out of character for me. But all were happy (I think). I think my family is still surprised. My wife's cousin is a wealthy woman who is very comfortable spending money and she told my son that she was thrilled when she learned mine was on order, but she was confused as she has known me forever and knew this was a very extravagant purchase for me.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I can relate. Before the Taycan I was mostly driving an old Accord with the front bumper dragging on the ground. People I know fell out of their chairs when they saw the Taycan. One person still is convinced it is my wife's car. :)

Most of my friends were shocked, as buying an expensive car is very much out of character for me. But all were happy (I think). I think my family is still surprised. My wife's cousin is a wealthy woman who is very comfortable spending money and she told my son that she was thrilled when she learned mine was on order, but she was confused as she has known me forever and knew this was a very extravagant purchase for me.

Taycan2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Vogue SE & Mercedes S-Class
Country flag
The Brits are very jealous of anyone successful.
Brits have a bad rep for jealousy but my experience in modern Britain is that it just isn’t true anymore, things have changed a lot in the past 20 years… though classism is still very much a thing, people are generally happy to cheer on a fellow citizen who has done well, and they do so in a genuine and non-self-serving way.

Edinburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S on order
Country flag
I have gone back and forward in my head on this for a while.

I currently drive a 17 year old BMW E46 convertible (which I love) but have always wanted a Porsche.. I work hard and my business, which I created myself and built up over many years, is doing well. I can afford a Porsche and probably could have for a number of years, but have always put it off. Partly down to quite a frugal upbringing, but also down to how others might perceive such a purchase.

The Taycan CT was the car that made my mind up. It ticks the Porsche box. It drives well and looks sensational. It stacks up as a family car (more than the 911 I had always dreamed of) without feeling like a compromise. Indeed it feels like a leap into the future.

I am due to get the car in the next few weeks and I can’t wait. Like many here, I have told next to nobody about the purchase. Even my 11 year old son knows nothing. I am so excited to see his face when we go to the Porsche dealer to collect it as he is car mad and always trying to get me to trade up the old BMW.

To those who might judge me - I now genuinely don’t care. The car is not about showing off for me or flaunting my wealth. It is being bought partly for a love of the brand, but also simply because it is such an innovative and exciting car which is completely unique in the marketplace.

If you can afford it, then I believe you should always buy what moves you, whether it is art, property, watches whatever. If you do it for that reason then it can’t be a mistake and others opinion is of no consequence.

Ramble over!

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
I have good friends. They were all stoked.

My friends wives were in love (with the car, not me) :CWL:

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
Brits have a bad rep for jealousy but my experience in modern Britain is that it just isn’t true anymore, things have changed a lot in the past 20 years… though classism is still very much a thing, people are generally happy to cheer on a fellow citizen who has done well, and they do so in a genuine and non-self-serving way.
I think this is true in the more cosmopolitan areas such as London but nothing much has changed in the poorer areas of the UK. I would certainly be careful where I park mine when visiting the UK.
Sponsored