How do you guys drive to get your posted range!?

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve seen a number of posts showing 270 miles and more in range.

From what I understand the car gets a set of data based on your driving style and average KW/h and then approximates what your range will be at X SOC in X drive setting.

So far at 85% SOC my car gives me a range of 205 miles.

I’m in sport+ most of the time and as a new EV owner I am still having fun with the instant torque.

I’ve seen a bunch of posts where it shows 280 miles and up. Wouldn’t this require you to drive very conservatively and in normal mode most of the time?with very little spirited driving?
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You can look at your miles per kW and do the math. Folks getting 270+ miles are likely on smaller wheels, or not driving 70+mph.

205 miles at 85% = 241 mile range at 100%. Driving style, tires and weather can easily make up that difference.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ignore the range number. Look at your trip computer and calculate based on kWh/100. Keep in mind the first 20 or so miles of a trip will appear much less efficient but it will balance out.

Start looking at the end of the day to see how efficient your day was. You'll quickly grasp your average efficiency based ok driving style/weather/area and then calculation becomes easier.

I get 33 kWh/100 at 74 mph and 34.5 kWh/100 at 84 mph on average or a range of 266 miles & 255 miles respectively. If you drive between 50-70 270 is quite easy to achieve.

The car will automatically lower the range projection depending on your mode, even though the modes themselves don't seem to drastically impact range. In Sport Plus it assumes you'll drive like you're on a track. So a 241 mile projection, as Miwa mentioned, is just fine when using Sport Plus.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Driving in Sport or Sport+ most of the time with jack rabbit spurts at traffic lights with Mission e rims I can still manage 265 miles on a full charge. I have had my car since April and the range has been consistent after the first week or so.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
I'm quite in the same spot as you... I get 320- 333km for 85-90% (200-210 miles)

I'm in sport mode and enjoying the car a lot ! Did 125 miles (200km) today at an average of 26 kWh/100km. HIghway around 130 km/h and a bit of city.

air con was set to eco though. I think the 21'' wheels play a bit of a role too, but speed seems to be the main factor clearly (given that we are not in winter time yet...)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I don’t worry about range 98% of the time - only time I worry about range is when I’m road tripping - and then I get the range I need to get to the next fast charger by managing my speed - slightly slower speeds = massive range improvements - and watching for head winds…limiting your acceleration

otherwise drive it like you stole it and charge it overnight in your garage…

speed is the range killer - period full stop - I might’ve used 3% battery in less than 2 miles one night “testing” the speedometer on a very very empty empty 6 lane free way (I was the ONLY car one could see forward backwards and the otherside of the freeway)…

the _ONLY_ major contributor to battery consumption is how fast your driving & heavy acceleration - and aero-dynamic loads are geometric w/speed - the drag increases more than the speed for EACH MPH and that increases power consumption dramatically…

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
To get he 300 miles of range you have to go relatively constant speed on highway in Range mode. Since driving on the highway is the only time range actually matters for most (since you are recharged overnight) and I do not mind driving steady, it works for me. I drive in Sport most of the times in town, of course range is nowhere near 300.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I echo what others have said. My range estimate is usually 250+. I make no effort to drive slowly most of the time, often driving 70-80. However, I’ve never used launch control. I have no interest in calculating kilowatt hours. The car is a blast to drive and the range is much better than the Tesla I traded up from. I’m a happy camper.

OP
OP

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ignore the range number. Look at your trip computer and calculate based on kWh/100. Keep in mind the first 20 or so miles of a trip will appear much less efficient but it will balance out.

Start looking at the end of the day to see how efficient your day was. You'll quickly grasp your average efficiency based ok driving style/weather/area and then calculation becomes easier.

I get 33 kWh/100 at 74 mph and 34.5 kWh/100 at 84 mph on average or a range of 266 miles & 255 miles respectively. If you drive between 50-70 270 is quite easy to achieve.

The car will automatically lower the range projection depending on your mode, even though the modes themselves don't seem to drastically impact range. In Sport Plus it assumes you'll drive like you're on a track. So a 241 mile projection, as Miwa mentioned, is just fine when using Sport Plus.
I'll do that. I've been paying attention to the range number to get a sense of things but I'll take a more data driven approach to get a sense of my average battery consumption.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  • in the Chevy bolt the range meter is generally referred to as “the guess-o-meter” - even for electric cars it really can’t know how far you can go because it doesn’t know where you will drive next, speed limits, or how you’ll personally drive…it’s all based on your consumption for recent history.
the gasoline guess-o-meter is laughably “wrong” in my GT3 after a day at the track, telling me I will get to drive 95 miles on a full tank of gas - because for the past 8 hours I’ve been driving flat out - it’s also laughably wrong during my first track session and a full tank telling me while I’m on track that my full tank of gas will allow me to drive 320 miles (not likely the way I drive on track)

the range estimate in an EV is NOT magic, and it no better that gas range estimates which are trival to show situations in which they are wildly wrong - same for the EV range estimate...

the ONLY estimate I put any faith in is the battery % shown when you have a destination input into the navigation system - I trust that more because it has soooo much more data:
  • it knows how far you are about to drive
  • it knows how fast you’ll be driving on each segment
  • it know how much elevation change there will be
  • it knows how much time it will take to get there
and while I do not believe it’s 100% accurate - I do know that there is a way in which you can drive the car that you should be able to make to your destination and come close the estimate battery percentage indicated by the nav

over the years I learned I can trust my Tesla range estimate +/- 5% if I didn’t stray too far from the legal speed imites for too long.

that means when I plugged in a destination and Tesla’s nav estimated I would arrive with 17% battery - was fairly confident I could make the trip without charging - but if the nav said I’d arrive with 7% battery - well now we’re getting too close for comfort and I might want to consider charging along the way to give me that extra buffer…but I also know based on driving style and other factors that teh estimate could easily be made to be wrong if I behaved outside the expected parameters of the trip…

don’t put too much faith in the guess-o-meter - you driving style and road condition can easily overwhelm it’s best guess - if you have 85% battery and the guess-o-meter say you can go 285 miles in your Taycan - I’d consider it a tad optimistic and you might want to plug your destination to the nav and see what it thinks - if it says you can drive 170 miles @ 95% battery that’s a tad pessimistic and you can probably do better with modest/legal driving behavior

I personally put everywhere I’m going into the nav because I like knowing an accurate read of what battery % I’ll be at when I arrive and then I give myself some buffer…but I largelly ignore the guess-o-meter because it just can’t know what demands are in the future…

example it’s going to be 100% wrong about your range coming out of sacramento and driving up 80 to Tahoe - it’s all uphill and it’s been mostly flat on your way from SF area to sacramento - the guess-o-meter will be 100% wrong how how far you can drive, but the nav will be closer to accurate because it knows you’re about to have a long stretch of uphill hwy speed driving…

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i will say this about electric cars - their consumption is very repeatable and once you know how much % a particular trip is from point a to point b based on your past experience - it’s very very repeatable/reliable

I have two drives that I know really really well:
  1. my commute in my Model 3 took 14% battery one way
  2. from my suburb home to my vacation home takes 22% battery one way
over the years these numbers were sooooo repeatable - that I would make the drive to work with only 18% battery, and get in the car with 25% battery and drive to the vacation home on the coast - cause ya’know - it’s gonna take 22%

the guess-o-meter is often wrong and easily lead astray based on recent consumption - but for a given segment/trip and consistent driving behavior you’ll find all electric cars are very very repeatable in terms of how much battery % a given A to B segment will consume…

A friend of my has a Model 3 - he has a cabin in Tahoe, he drives from bay area to Tahoe in the Model 3 - he stops at supercharger in the Sacramento area for 17 minutes - he leaves home with 90% battery - he arrives at the cabin with 17% battery - period - done - full stop - that number is sooooo repeatable that one day he arrived with 14% - and was distraught - investigation showed that 3 of his 4 tires were way down on pressure - next trip proper tire pressure - back to 17%

the consistency of EV’s for a given segment is unlike anything you’ve experienced and most people quickly learn what their EV can do once they’ve driven segments before, and then they learn it will be very very consistent

but the guess-o-meter is wrong most of the time and should only be used as the most general guide and a gross indication of what is possible in terms of distance.

Last edited:

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I have had the 4S for 2.5 months, and for the last month the car has consistently said about 265 miles of range at 85% capacity. (In the first month the car computer had much lower figures.) By my math, that is 312 miles on a full charge. When I run my own calculations manually I get about 300 to 320 miles for a full charge.

I have never used range mode, not once. I drive about 50% in normal and 50% in sports plus.

In my experience, range is highly tied to how often you go above about 70 to 75 MPH. Range seems to drop off significantly around that speed.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Sometimes traffic, a lack of passing zones, low speed limits, and other factors mean I can’t drive over 55 for 200+ miles. That’s when my range estimate is 270 miles.

It’s not magic. Or any special driving style. It’s just physics. Like gas cars.

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
And if you have summer tires on the car, like I do, forget about range. Plus I like FAST!

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
Here is the output from my charger imported into a online database. Summarized by month. The numbers look good. I have added temperature to the analysis. My car looks like it is doing well. Shown are at Final SOC and Estimated Range at 100%. Running abt 270miles range. Highest estimated range was 290-300 in August (Not shown in this screen grab).
Porsche Taycan How do you guys drive to get your posted range!? 4S Energy Lo
Sponsored