How do you normally reset geo positioning in NAV?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
So I ran into a problem on my last trip.

The PCM NAV lost it's heading and I'm like like 10 miles (to the right) off where my current position is, while driving, it just decided to not work.

Anyway, BUT because Apple CarPlay also uses the PCM NAV input for all of it's own GPS data points. Non of the GPS apps work if connected via CarPlay. I'm able to get away with some sort of working GPS, by turning off CarPlay (and reboot Phone) and occasionally look at my phone (have not put in a phone holder thinking CarPlay will take care of viewing on tiny phone screen).

I tried pulling over, power off. No go.
two-finger engineering reboot of PCM, no go.

I only reset itself after I left it off @ a EA station for 45 mins (lunch). When I came back to the car, the GPS was back to normal.

Any thoughts on what else I could have done to recover this in much faster option. I hate to run into this again when I'm @ a unfamiliar location and need to guidance to certain areas (like in need of charging).

Ordering a phone holder now, lol.

-ThinkMac-
Sponsored

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
GPS is handled by the connectivity module, I'm not sure if there is a way to restart it. It's completely independent from the PCM in any case.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
This happened with my Panamera. They replaced GPS module multiple times within the first year which fixed the problem temporarily for a few weeks each time. Ultimately they replaced the entire PCM and I haven’t had the issue since (over 2 years at this point).

OP
OP
ithinkmac

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
good to know. will keep this in mind if issue pops back. Thanks.

-ThinkMac-

This happened with my Panamera. They replaced GPS module multiple times within the first year which fixed the problem temporarily for a few weeks each time. Ultimately they replaced the entire PCM and I haven’t had the issue since (over 2 years at this point).

Draman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This happened to me yesterday as well, GPS was showing me as around 5 miles west of my actual location. I tried the 2 finger PCM reset and it only made it worse as after the restart it basically stopped updating my position at all and I ended up almost 25 miles south of where the car thought I was. I had a host of other PCM issues at the same time (CarPlay wouldn't start, phone wasn't showing as an available Bluetooth device, tapping on about 50% of the options in the menu resulted in haptic feedback but no actual response from the system). I had lunch and returned to the car about an hour later and all of the issues were resolved but it was super annoying at the time
Sponsored