How does the Taycan range estimate work?

Brettka7

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I just went through the big thread that ended in October 2021 regarding range, but I’m not entirely sure I understand how the Taycan range estimate works.

I’m a Tesla owner but a Taycan fan. Teslas only give you one option for your range estimate - the EPA estimate. In my personal vehicle, the EPA estimate is based off 205 wh/mi but I actually drive an average of 230 wh/mi due to 50% highway usage. Due to my driving situation, my range estimate is about 10-20% wrong, so I simply changed it to percentage instead of miles. Using miles/distance is completely meaningless on my car.

It appears the Taycan will adapt the range estimate based off either wh/mi or based off mi/wh. Is this accurate? So if my previous X miles, I drove at 250 wh/mi, my range estimate is now based off that usage?
Sponsored

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I just went through the big thread that ended in October 2021 regarding range, but I’m not entirely sure I understand how the Taycan range estimate works.

I’m a Tesla owner but a Taycan fan. Teslas only give you one option for your range estimate - the EPA estimate. In my personal vehicle, the EPA estimate is based off 205 wh/mi but I actually drive an average of 230 wh/mi due to 50% highway usage. Due to my driving situation, my range estimate is about 10-20% wrong, so I simply changed it to percentage instead of miles. Using miles/distance is completely meaningless on my car.

It appears the Taycan will adapt the range estimate based off either wh/mi or based off mi/wh. Is this accurate? So if my previous X miles, I drove at 250 wh/mi, my range estimate is now based off that usage?
I believe it uses historical performance data and currently selected options - drive mode, heat settings as well as temperature. By all accounts, its pretty accurate (I don't have enough miles on its yet to be considered an expert).

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
There's an important exception: if you have a destination set in the Porsche nav, the car will use the road speeds, terrain, and weather enroute to inform the range estimate. So in that case it looks forward.
Sponsored