Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am thinking of putting a vinyl wrap on my window trims to change from chrome to black but I am just concerned as to how durable it will be, eg, can I take it through a car wash?
Sponsored

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes AMG GTS Mercedes GLC300, Honda CRV
Country flag
I am thinking of putting a vinyl wrap on my window trims to change from chrome to black but I am just concerned as to how durable it will be, eg, can I take it through a car wash?
I wrapped my mirrors on a Mercedes GTS and after six years, they still looked like new. Ask the installer how long he thinks they will last.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Most quality films are quite tough so can't imagine a car wash would cause any concern - for me wrap integrity is more about when rock chips etc hit hard eonough to expose the underlying base paint but not applicable in your case.

OP
OP

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The installer says that they recommend that a pressure washer should not go within 1 meter of the wrap or water could get underneath.???

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
Depends how it’s done - if pre-cut templates (cheaper and faster install) then yeah need to be careful around edges
But if cut on the car and wrapped around all panels then very little risk
My car was wrapped about 3 years ago and the material hasn’t lifted, whereas I detail/pressure wash it more or less monthly

OP
OP

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am only having the window trims done so no panels to wrap around??

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah right then yes it’s not a problem, but it’s also not an area that picks up big dirt so your wrap guy is right don’t put too much power on it as it won’t clean it any better.
Just be mindful that it’s hard to keep a deep, glossy black finish on vinyl due to it being a softer material.

Many blacks exist - I’ve gone for Hexis for my roof / mirrors and am happy with it but of course next to the painted windows gloss black inserts you can tell the difference up close.

If just your window trim maybe consider either getting them sprayed permanently or swapped with OEM parts?

And FWIW price-wise the shop I used takes about £250-300 for full de-chrome (incl. grill / back etc so sides only should be less than £200) up to £450 on a Clubman with loads of shiny bits to do.

OP
OP

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am told by Porsche that to spray them would cost over £2,500 as they need to remove the windows etc???

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hadn’t thought about the need to remove the windows to spray - sounds OTT

TBH I’m sure you’ll be happy with the vinyl, just don’t expect 100% same gloss finish/depth.

Snapped a couple of pics of mine for you - the door/back window trim, windscreen A pillar and pan roof trim are factory painted gloss black. The rest of the roof/Mirrors/car is wrapped. I tried to show the difference but you have to look hard in person. Note it’s been there for 3yrs and is filthy at the moment.
FWIW no one ever clocked that it was a wrap unless I told them so, even at the dealership when in for MOT & servicing.

Porsche Taycan How durable is a high gloss vinyl wrap? 33C3ADD3-B025-436B-B117-1F80B71A7654
Porsche Taycan How durable is a high gloss vinyl wrap? 46937D25-A628-44B3-ABF4-AA60D40E4A1E
Porsche Taycan How durable is a high gloss vinyl wrap? 227D182F-6619-466F-ACAE-287C80504252
Porsche Taycan How durable is a high gloss vinyl wrap? 047B3108-096A-49BB-8DE1-B68699B3B754

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I believe you can now get colored PPF which might hold up better?

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP do you have pictures of how the de-chrome worked out before and after.
Thank you.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't know the answer, sorry.
It's only self-washing by hand for me.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I’ve had the chrome bits on my current car wrapped in black. 2 years in, always taken through a car wash, no issues whatsoever. Includes window trims, bumper inserts and a couple other bits

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone have an estimate / how much they paid to have the chrome window trim wrapped in black?