How durable is a high gloss vinyl wrap?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Have you checked with Suncoast to see how much the oem black trim pieces cost? Seems like a better option than spraying if you are concerned about durability and authenticity
Sponsored

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Have you checked with Suncoast to see how much the oem black trim pieces cost? Seems like a better option than spraying if you are concerned about durability and authenticity
Very expensive unfortunately. I think wrap is the most cost effective option.

It was my fault, kind of missed this when spec’ing up my Gentian Blue 4S.

It just doesn’t look right to me with the silver trim.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So, "wrap" can vary WIDELY with quality - both product and installation.

Second, wrap is cosmetic only and typically will not stand the test of time. It can last a year or two but weather and even hot/cold changes in temp will stretch it to its limits and likely start showing on seams and corners.

There are quality products in the 'wrap' category, and doing black trim, it wont be as easy to see as it fails, but it will. Also, no matter the quality of the vinyl wrap material, it will give off an orange peel effect - kind of like a crappy paint job.

If you want to go full quality, avoid the orange peel, and get many years out of it, you will want to use a color PPF product like stek. I did an entire color change on my Taycan and you simply can't tell its wrapped. Ive used it on 2 other cars and in fact, I just purchased a McLaren 720s Spider that I am color changing with this product from factory white to a PPF color that they carry called Miami Blue.

I swear by the stuff - it's worth the money. And, to that end, so are installers - if you dont have one you can verify work performed tread lightly. A lot goes into the finished product, even if its just chrome delete.

before:

Porsche Taycan How durable is a high gloss vinyl wrap? FF661AF6-EF9F-4927-9EBD-F3AA588A1894

after:

Porsche Taycan How durable is a high gloss vinyl wrap? DC7B39A0-AF67-4DC0-921A-78533A2AE607

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes my terminology was incorrect and PPF is the way to go I believe.

Am i right to also assume it’s easily reversible? Ie when I come to sell the car the new owner if they wanted could remove it or if I change my mind in a couple of years time.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
You can't go wrong with either 3M or STEK PPF. My installer recommended gloss over matt black since gloss is more durable. The de-chroming of the window trims took a little over 3 hrs. with a total cost of US $400.00 or approximately £333.00. He also recommended having it be further cured under the sun for a day, despite the fact that the PPF was already applied with a heat gun during installation.

OP
OP

Rayo2703

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Very expensive unfortunately. I think wrap is the most cost effective option.

It was my fault, kind of missed this when spec’ing up my Gentian Blue 4S.

It just doesn’t look right to me with the silver trim.
I also missed it when speccing my Ice grey turbo and had my window trims wrapped a year ago through a company recommended by Porsche Hatfield, cost £400. They did a great job and a year later it still looks like new.

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Selina, That's exactly what I did. Got the window trim wrapped in Black Gloss vinyl. Looks great and when I get bored I can always peel off!
Porsche Taycan How durable is a high gloss vinyl wrap? IMG_1939
Sponsored