How good is the Taycan’s navigation system?

Marty

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Corvette
Country flag
How good is the Taycan’s nav system? Can it be voice activated. Can you get oral turn by turn directions? How does it compare with other luxury car nav systems?
Sponsored

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
It's generally fine. The maps, unfortunately, are HERE maps (from what I can tell), and thus are somewhat out of date, at least in the US. Map updates come down pretty regularly (weekly?).

It can be voice activated, gives voice commands, and the visual presentation is just fine. Searching happens either with the integrated POI database or can be done via Google.

Not quite sure how traffic is being updated.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The navigation system is not top of the class. I have not received any updates in two months of ownership by checking the version data. I guess it will depend on where you live and what maps you use as well. It is the Here maps (ex Navionics I think). The routing has taken me down some very bad dirt roads and also down roads that are just for pedestrians several times, so I tend not to use the system to navigate to places that are not along main roads.

I have also received the announcement going up our country road ””attention toll booth ahead”” regularly. And there are no toll booths close to us, at least 15 km away!!

And I have not been successful to ask for navigation by voice input. This could be because of bad cellular coverage though, or language problems. I am using English language in France??

No idea how and where the get traffic information from or how regularly it is updated. We have several times received the message “”dangerous driving conditions along the A*””. And that was on a dry and sunny day!!

It is a shame since the display in front of the driver can have the turn instructions and detailed map display without the need for a Head Up Display.

I have stopped using the navigation until such time that I receive an update and use Apple Car Play with either Waze or Google maps now. I miss the possibility to then have the detailed map with instructions in the drivers display though.

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
CarPlay is supposed to support secondary displays, has anyone seen if this supported in the Taycan? I forgot to look during my test drive.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
CarPlay is supposed to support secondary displays, has anyone seen if this supported in the Taycan? I forgot to look during my test drive.
I have been told more than once that CarPlay supports only one screen, Have you seen it on two?

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I have been told more than once that CarPlay supports only one screen, Have you seen it on two?
CarPlay has supported the capability to display on a secondary display such as an instrument cluster for at least a couple of years now, but I don't know whether any automakers have actually implemented that in a vehicle you can buy...

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The requirements are probably way too onerous for any car manufacturer to support it. Apple requires a lot of things, and designers doing the gauge cluster probably don't want to dance to Apple's tune.

Plus it takes years to get s system through development and testing for decent automakers, so stuff you see has been in development for 4 years. Wait a few more years and there probably will be someone using Apple's stuff.

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
Nav system is terrible

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would say it’s middle of the road. I don’t really use in-car Nav except for when I’m heading somewhere I’ve not been before. Entering a destination is pretty much the same as our Tesla which is (in my mind) the leader of the pack on Nav integration - believe still using google vs. HERE? Turn by turn is fine other than I’ve had some bugs where occasionally the guidance is in metric but that usually goes away with an update pretty shortly after it pops up. I’m not a huge fan of the way the display shows the total trip timeline thing on the right edge but you can tweak what’s visible and what’s not visible. Overall it does the job just fine but it’s not going to win any awards.

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
in my opinion , it sucks but i kinda feel that about most in car nav systems other then tesla's
the tesla is the only car I use the in car sytem, all others including the taycan i tend to use a phone. I have not given up yet. I

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I don’t mind it. It integrates nicely with the HUD and I like having the map on the instrument cluster. Granted, I have not taken it on a long trip and I don’t the route it chose on a trip I do take often.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just to chime in with everyone else, navigation is subpar. Been using google maps instead.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
It's far from perfect especially in the way it prefers "porsche" chargers which don't really exist, but the thing I like about the built-in nav is how well it estimates range. Vastly better than abetterrouteplanner. The traffic warnings are pretty accurate as well.
Sponsored

Reactions: TIM