How I fixed the door rattles

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
Super helpful pics of what the audio guy did!

As for "XYZ CAR IS IMMUNE TO RATTLES!!!" I'm going to call complete bullshit. My 997 Turbo rattled. My 996's rattled. The Macan loaner I had when my Turbo went in for the 2023 update rattled.

I believe someone said the MachE is a bank vault? Good buddy of mine who drives one, and works for Ford, found this hilarious and pointed me to these from over the years...

Anyone else noticing a rattle in the dash when traveling on bumpy roads? | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

Creaking/rattle from behind/under front seat? | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

Rattle Rattle Rattle | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

Rattles and Whistle | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

Mach E Select Creak and rattle...help? | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

TL;DR cars rattle. If you want to "rage quit" go for it, but you're kidding yourself if you think whatever you end up in is some special snowflake. If it's not rattling you either got lucky, or put rose colored earplugs in. ;)

If rattles drive you crazy, best thing to do is learn how to address them through threads like this (that I've followed on every car forum I've spent time on for the past 30 years or so). Thanks to those posting solutions! :cool:
I had an early Taycan Turbo S. It was a rattlefest - ten rattles from doors, the dash, the headliner.. creaks, cracks and squeaks. I took it back and got a refund. It was just too much and felt it would be a wack-a-mole.

However ... my 911 991.1 Turbo S rattled.. took 6 months to resolve. My 992 TS rattled... fixed 99% myself, speakers made a crazy buzzing noise - metal tabs on the grills were just touching plastic.. bent back - fixed!.. Aston Martin DBS rattled (fixed 100% by AM themselves but took months).. Fixed my partners DB11 - padding in dash centre speaker needed.

I have had several BMWs (6+) and not had a single unwanted noise from any of them.

Mercs aren't bad (well once you stick felt and padding everywhere)
VWs are pretty good.
My Ranger has no noises at all ... and it's a Ford Ranger!

Ferrari - expected it to be awful and it was totally silent.. (except from the engine! )

Audis.. had the odd buzzing speaker, the odd rattle.

Sadly, for me, the only Porsche I ever drove which was bullet proof from the get go was a 718.

Love Porsche's but I have been seriously put off by the unwanted noises.

pmas73

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Taycan 4S MY 24 had passenger door rattle since day 1 of collecting (dec 1 2023)

Thank to this thread I put 2 little rubber shims that you can see in the attached photos.
They are like 2 mm thick and given that thickness they don't put much pressure or tension between frame and card but seems to be enough to stop rattles.

I'm not in love with this kind of solution since I think that Porsches has to be rattle free, but it works.

I only hope that my 2 shims do not slip in or out.
I don't know either if it would be better to bring the car to the dealer in order to find a better solution, but I am afraid they would make things worse... what do you suggest?

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles IMG_0271

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles IMG_0272

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
I also discovered pretty loud rattles from both doors having purchased a Porsche-approved 2020 Turbo. Reported it to the dealer, they test-drove the car and confirmed the problem is real. They told me it would be two full days job to fix the doors - not sure what exactly they'd be doing. The repair is scheduled for mid-January, I will report back how it goes.

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
I also discovered pretty loud rattles from both doors having purchased a Porsche-approved 2020 Turbo. Reported it to the dealer, they test-drove the car and confirmed the problem is real. They told me it would be two full days job to fix the doors - not sure what exactly they'd be doing. The repair is scheduled for mid-January, I will report back how it goes.
My car was in a couple of days and had all 4 window riser mechanisms changed. That completely solved all the rattles. Hope you get the same outcome.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My '22 Taycan is in for rattles when hitting a bump. Started with drivers side and later passenger side as well. Sounded like something to do with the glass. Dealer identified the window actuators as the problem. Waiting to get the car back. Hope this cures the noise.

pmas73

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMPORTANT UPDATE

Te root cause of the rattle is NOT the door panel.

I removed the passenger side door trim chasing rattles and vibrations.
Te door rattled even without panel, so I also removed the black cover in the door frame and noticed 2 grey hard plastic cables (the ones for the window) rattling against metal frame.

I secured the cables with a little tie and put sole felt on the metal in the position of the contact.
Reassembled door trim and FINALLY all is quiet as it should be, even without the shims between trim and panel

I attach a picture of a 992 door just as an example. You have to secure the cables behind the black part circled in blue.

Hope it is useful

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles maxresdefault

Last edited:

pmas73

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the update and yes I have that too. The location is not random. It is the area that you push to open the door to get out. The door panel is like a flimsy cardboard when you see it from the inside, so it it is no surprise it breaks over time. It is a different problem than the one causing the other rattles and this one does not go away with the foam trick I described in the original post. Mine started after a few months. I removed and reinstalled the panel and it stopped for a few weeks, now it starts coming back again. Unless they have improved the panel quality/construction you might have the same rattle in a few months.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/how-i-fixed-the-door-rattles.4354/post-279354
Sponsored