How I fixed the door rattles

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
yes whatever works to be able to drive with as few rattles as possible until my lease expires... Lesson learnt, next time I will not blindly assume that a Porsche's interior is rattle free..
I'd be also so annoyed! But mine only once had a rattle on right side speaker/door. Gone after less than a min. Nothing else...
Sponsored

TSIII

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
In case it's helpful, last week I took my 4S in for the recall and mentioned to the dealer that the driver's side door had a bad rattle. They tried the felt fix and it didn't resolve the issue. The dealer subsequently identified the cause as a faulty plastic bond on the door panel and so they replaced the door panel with a new panel and the rattle is gone. The car drives completely silently now.

Here's the service note from the invoice:

"FOUND DRIVER'S FRONT DOOR PANEL RATTLING FROM UPPER PANEL AREA TOWARDS REAR. APPLIED FELT IN AREA AROUND REAR LED AND CONNECTOR TO SUPPORT. NO CHANGE. FOUND PLASTIC BOND ON DOOR PANEL FAULTY. DOOR PANEL ON ORDER. REPLACED DOOR PANEL AND TRANSFERRED OVER WIRING HARNESS, DOOR GUARD LIGHT, WINDOW SWITCH, INNER DOOR HANDLE, AND ALL THREE LEDS. FOUND "BOSE" EMBLEM MISSING FROM NEW DOOR PANEL. ORDERED NEW EMBLEM AND INSTALLED."

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In case it's helpful, last week I took my 4S in for the recall and mentioned to the dealer that the driver's side door had a bad rattle. They tried the felt fix and it didn't resolve the issue. The dealer subsequently identified the cause as a faulty plastic bond on the door panel and so they replaced the door panel with a new panel and the rattle is gone. The car drives completely silently now.

Here's the service note from the invoice:

"FOUND DRIVER'S FRONT DOOR PANEL RATTLING FROM UPPER PANEL AREA TOWARDS REAR. APPLIED FELT IN AREA AROUND REAR LED AND CONNECTOR TO SUPPORT. NO CHANGE. FOUND PLASTIC BOND ON DOOR PANEL FAULTY. DOOR PANEL ON ORDER. REPLACED DOOR PANEL AND TRANSFERRED OVER WIRING HARNESS, DOOR GUARD LIGHT, WINDOW SWITCH, INNER DOOR HANDLE, AND ALL THREE LEDS. FOUND "BOSE" EMBLEM MISSING FROM NEW DOOR PANEL. ORDERED NEW EMBLEM AND INSTALLED."
Thanks for the update and yes I have that too. The location is not random. It is the area that you push to open the door to get out. The door panel is like a flimsy cardboard when you see it from the inside, so it it is no surprise it breaks over time. It is a different problem than the one causing the other rattles and this one does not go away with the foam trick I described in the original post. Mine started after a few months. I removed and reinstalled the panel and it stopped for a few weeks, now it starts coming back again. Unless they have improved the panel quality/construction you might have the same rattle in a few months.

Last edited:

gcarreira

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Some background
My Taycan's passenger door and the passenger side rear door rattle badly. I have taken the car to the dealer and they said the passenger door ratted from the light strip. They put foam tape around the strip wire harness which fixed the issue for about two weeks but the rattle came back.
The dealer was wrong, the root cause was not the light strip itself.The reason why the rattles went away temporarily was not the foam tape. It was because they removed and reinstalled the panel.

The root cause
The root cause is the poor fit of the door panel and the fact that it is not held tightly with screws or plastic rivets.
There is a significant gap between the panel and the door chassis, and the door panel can move and rattle. When I push in the panel with my hand it moves and rattles. This happens in 2 of the 4 doors!

My fix
I squeezed some foam between the panel and the door chassis and eliminated the movement of the panel.
All rattles are gone. I used foam used for childproofing furniture :) and plastic upholstery removal tools. I will carefully trim the foam to make it flush with the panel so it will be less noticeable but I wanted to take the pictures before trimming.

It is unfortunate that I have to do this in such an expensive car but it is better than the rattles that drive my crazy. It is also easy enough and it can be done without removing the panel.
Now I can only hear the B-pillar and the driver seat rattles..

20210323_094133.jpg

20210323_094138.jpg

20210323_094149.jpg

20210323_094213.jpg

20210323_094323.jpg
Thank you
Some background
My Taycan's passenger door and the passenger side rear door rattle badly. I have taken the car to the dealer and they said the passenger door ratted from the light strip. They put foam tape around the strip wire harness which fixed the issue for about two weeks but the rattle came back.
The dealer was wrong, the root cause was not the light strip itself.The reason why the rattles went away temporarily was not the foam tape. It was because they removed and reinstalled the panel.

The root cause
The root cause is the poor fit of the door panel and the fact that it is not held tightly with screws or plastic rivets.
There is a significant gap between the panel and the door chassis, and the door panel can move and rattle. When I push in the panel with my hand it moves and rattles. This happens in 2 of the 4 doors!

My fix
I squeezed some foam between the panel and the door chassis and eliminated the movement of the panel.
All rattles are gone. I used foam used for childproofing furniture :) and plastic upholstery removal tools. I will carefully trim the foam to make it flush with the panel so it will be less noticeable but I wanted to take the pictures before trimming.

It is unfortunate that I have to do this in such an expensive car but it is better than the rattles that drive my crazy. It is also easy enough and it can be done without removing the panel.
Now I can only hear the B-pillar and the driver seat rattles..

20210323_094133.jpg

20210323_094138.jpg

20210323_094149.jpg

20210323_094213.jpg

20210323_094323.jpg
Thank you. Where do you buy pieces of foam like that?

bei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hi everyone, I'm a new Taycan owner. Glad to find a place like this!

Checkout this rattle/vibration noise in my back passenger door. Any guesses on what's causing this noise?

The first 7 seconds shows the seat/headrest rattle noise, but the last 10 seconds shows the continuous door rattle.

superflytnt

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wait a sec… how long did it take you to receive a new door panel? I’ve been waiting over five months! They’ve given me a bunch of excuses which I‘ve been eating up since this is my first import, and compound that with all the other supply-chain problems going on in the world.

Did they swap your door panel with another from perhaps another vehicle? Or did they have it in stock? Or am I reading you that it‘s a new panel, in which case, how long did you have to wait from when you pointed out the problem?

This is crazy. Really appreciate it.

Last edited:

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wait a sec… how long did it take you to receive a new door panel? I’ve been waiting over five months! They’ve given me a bunch of excuses which I‘ve been eating up since this is my first import, and compound that with all the other supply-chain problems going on in the world.

Did they swap your door panel with another from perhaps another vehicle? Or did they have it in stock? Or am I reading you that it‘s a new panel, in which case, how long did you have to wait from when you pointed out the problem?

This is crazy. Really appreciate it.
I also had door panels on order, also for rattles, they just came in. It took about 4.5 months.

reggie-g75

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S, 992 C4S, 2020 Panamera GTS ST
Country flag
@chrisk just seen this and thanks for your helpful hints and tips. On smooth tarmac it’s silent, but most British roads are shitty coarse tarmac and the vibration resoonates through certain panels.
My dealer has ‘fixed’ rattles and squeaks, but not completely and I doubt they can do much more.
I also have a vibrating chrono dial/wheel which sounds like a bee in the car but this is being replaced.
I now have the tackle the cheap/shitty/squeaky b pillars. Supposedly these were refitted and packed, but not really improved... are they easy to remove? Any b pillar suggestions would be welcome ?

superflytnt

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I spoke to my dealer today and he told me that Porsche just sent them a "Squeak and Rattle Kit" last week. It's supposedly full of shims and foam and other stuff that they can use to do what we've basically been doing as described here on this thread. He said that Porsche is aware of the various noises and being as this is an electric car, these noises are even more apparent. This is an attempt to resolve certain issues while customers wait for parts, or ideally, so customers don't feel they have to order parts. I'm going in next Wed to give it a shot.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
One month with my Ford Mach-e GT which is also electric and silent and the interior has absolutely no rattles. I am happy I switched cars. I can finally enjoy driving without being annoyed of rattles from every interior trim.
I hope Porsche finally addresses the rattles but I doubt it would be easy because I have seen how the panels are made and in my opinion it is cheap plastic and flimsy cardboard-like material.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
One month with my Ford Mach-e GT which is also electric and silent and the interior has absolutely no rattles. I am happy I switched cars. I can finally enjoy driving without being annoyed of rattles from every interior trim.
I hope Porsche finally addresses the rattles but I doubt it would be easy because I have seen how the panels are made and in my opinion it is cheap plastic and flimsy cardboard-like material.
Interestingly I test drove a brand new Mach E GT today and it was full of bumps & groans & rattles & such. Got back into my Taycan and it's still a bank vault.

I'm not doubting your experience but every car has forums full of people talking about rattles, it's a byproduct of mass production. It sucks and it shouldn't happen, but it's a bit of a myth that you're paying more for better quality. You're paying more for a better car, it's still coming off an assembly line.

It's not unusual to take a car back into a dealership to fix rattles. If your dealership fails to do it, they suck, go somewhere else. Some cool videos on YouTube about how good shops easily find and address those sorts of issues.

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since you helped so much with your pictures, I wanted to close the loop on my own rattles experience; I picked up my car today after a four-month wait for new door panels-- they may have done something else to stop the rattles, but they definitely replaced the door panels, both sides in the front-- no more rattles!! I can't believe it. I drove home from the service center, about 30 miles, and was shocked. I mean, I can't login to Connect from the car, but no rattles! City street driving, no rattles! I am super happy about it. I do think some people may be more sensitive to these rattles, but once you notice them... glad to hear that your Mustang is working out for you.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since you helped so much with your pictures, I wanted to close the loop on my own rattles experience; I picked up my car today after a four-month wait for new door panels-- they may have done something else to stop the rattles, but they definitely replaced the door panels, both sides in the front-- no more rattles!! I can't believe it. I drove home from the service center, about 30 miles, and was shocked. I mean, I can't login to Connect from the car, but no rattles! City street driving, no rattles! I am super happy about it. I do think some people may be more sensitive to these rattles, but once you notice them... glad to hear that your Mustang is working out for you.
Glad to hear the new panels work better. Maybe they changed their construction or material.
In my case I also had rattles from the driver seat, the B pillar, the speaker grill covers and the instrument cluster. I doubt they would replace or fix all these rattles and my dealer was not very helpful.
Sponsored