How I fixed the door rattles

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Some background
My Taycan's passenger door and the passenger side rear door rattle badly. I have taken the car to the dealer and they said the passenger door ratted from the light strip. They put foam tape around the strip wire harness which fixed the issue for about two weeks but the rattle came back.
The dealer was wrong, the root cause was not the light strip itself.The reason why the rattles went away temporarily was not the foam tape. It was because they removed and reinstalled the panel.

The root cause
The root cause is the poor fit of the door panel and the fact that it is not held tightly with screws or plastic rivets.
There is a significant gap between the panel and the door chassis, and the door panel can move and rattle. When I push in the panel with my hand it moves and rattles. This happens in 2 of the 4 doors!

My fix
I squeezed some foam between the panel and the door chassis and eliminated the movement of the panel.
All rattles are gone. I used foam used for childproofing furniture :) and plastic upholstery removal tools. I will carefully trim the foam to make it flush with the panel so it will be less noticeable but I wanted to take the pictures before trimming.

It is unfortunate that I have to do this in such an expensive car but it is better than the rattles that drive my crazy. It is also easy enough and it can be done without removing the panel.
Now I can only hear the B-pillar and the driver seat rattles..

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210323_094133

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210323_094138

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210323_094149

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210323_094213

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210323_094323

Last edited:

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Thanks for your post. I'm a fanatic about rattles and am a big fan of using foam, felt, or weather stripping pieces to eliminate them. Now I'll know the areas to concentrate on if my car has door panel rattles when it eventually shows up.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Thanks for the advice. Small rattles like that are very irritating and just should not happen on such an expensive car!

I am bringing my car to the dealer and want them to fix this, but I will certainly use your experience to point the way. We should not have to do this kind of repair on a Porsche!!!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My car is in for the software upgrade and I reported a rattle in the driver's door. they drove the car 9 miles today, I assume to diagnose the rattle, I hope they have it right.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car is in for the software upgrade and I reported a rattle in the driver's door. they drove the car 9 miles today, I assume to diagnose the rattle, I hope they have it right.
They had my car for 2 days for the door rattle and their "fix" did not fix it. I hope they do better for your car.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
Similar issue here. My door rattle is not always consistent and fairly subtle but it’s irksome in this otherwise silent vault of a car. The dealer spent a day trying to fix it with no luck—simply couldn’t replicate it in the time they had it. Interestingly, and in support of your fix, if I wedge a prying tool along the door and b-pillar the rattle completely goes away. So, I’m betting these foam pieces will do the trick. Thanks for the helpful information!

Last edited:

Armyav8tor

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Same here, did the light strip mod and still rattled. I'll try this as well, makes sense, I see the big gap there on my door panel as well. Funny that the driver side is solid and the passenger side is rattling like nobody's business. Makes me want to pull apart the driver side to see the difference, NOT!

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Same here, did the light strip mod and still rattled. I'll try this as well, makes sense, I see the big gap there on my door panel as well. Funny that the driver side is solid and the passenger side is rattling like nobody's business. Makes me want to pull apart the driver side to see the difference, NOT!
It might not be random that the driver door is not rattling. When you pull the door handle to close the door, it pulls the panel a bit off the door frame so in practice it does the same thing that the foam does in my fix.

The two doors that rattle in my case are the ones that are not used by passengers so nobody is pulling their handles to close them from inside.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Some background
My Taycan's passenger door and the passenger side rear door rattle badly. I have taken the car to the dealer and they said the passenger door ratted from the light strip. They put foam tape around the strip wire harness which fixed the issue for about two weeks but the rattle came back.
The dealer was wrong, the root cause was not the light strip itself.The reason why the rattles went away temporarily was not the foam tape. It was because they removed and reinstalled the panel.

The root cause
The root cause is the poor fit of the door panel and the fact that it is not held tightly with screws or plastic rivets.
There is a significant gap between the panel and the door chassis, and the door panel can move and rattle. When I push in the panel with my hand it moves and rattles. This happens in 2 of the 4 doors!

My fix
I squeezed some foam between the panel and the door chassis and eliminated the movement of the panel.
All rattles are gone. I used foam used for childproofing furniture :) and plastic upholstery removal tools. I will carefully trim the foam to make it flush with the panel so it will be less noticeable but I wanted to take the pictures before trimming.

It is unfortunate that I have to do this in such an expensive car but it is better than the rattles that drive my crazy. It is also easy enough and it can be done without removing the panel.
Now I can only hear the B-pillar and the driver seat rattles..

20210323_094133.jpg

20210323_094138.jpg

20210323_094149.jpg

20210323_094213.jpg

20210323_094323.jpg
Great detective work and problem resolution !

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
Great detective work and problem resolution !
Interesting. I heard a rattle in the driver door - before I dropped it off 3 weeks ago to have the pax display fixed - waiting for the software update now.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
did they succeed?

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
Just following up. I did end up placing some small pieces of hard foam between the door and the door panel and finally took the car for a long drive today and there was no rattle! Very satisfying. Thank you @chrisk! I honestly may just leave it be at this point as this has been a subtle rattle that the dealership has thus far not been able to reproduce. I could probably push the issue all the way to getting a new door panel, but would that definitely fix it or would it cause further problems in the process? May be best to just let sleeping dogs lie.
Sponsored