How long are you planning to keep your Taycan?

How long are you planning to keep your Taycan?

• Total voters

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Newer battery tech (Quantumscape) will most likely cause big depreciation for us first-gen owners but I don't care. I'll keep mine as long as it's running tip top and the battery capacity doesn't give up the ghost to early.
Doubtful unless you plan on keeping your Taycan beyond 2028. Battery tech won't evolve that quickly and requires stringent testing.

Moreover, the commodity squeeze and inflation is not helping things. It will slow down R&D and funding, or even mothball projects and JVs.

I plan on keeping my GTS for 2 years (assuming it's delivered next year) before offloading. That might have to happen by March 2025 for tax reasons here in the UK that I won't bore you with.

Where those tax changes are not made (UK gov is yet to make a decision), then I will keep my Taycan for longer, but only by one year!

I expect Mercedes will have some very interesting AMG EV sportcars available by then. Though I found the ride uninspiring, the EQA I recently hired was very nicely engineered considering it's a bridge car between their ICE and EV line.

I expect great things from Mercedes and were it available, I would almost certainly opt for an EV Mercedes AMG GT over the Taycan GTS I have on order. They would likely be similar price points.

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
Taycan is a stopgap car for me. As soon as Porsche makes a compelling electric two door - ideally a sportscar - I'm trading in.
I 100% agree.... totally my thinking but might be a while ??

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
Leasing which is a 3 year agreement. If I'd bought one it would be 3 years to keep it in warranty, like others have said. I don't trust new tech outside of Warranty.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Will be swapping out 2021 RWD for 2023 or 2024. Probably another RWD but maybe 4S. Will also get in line for a second production year (2026?) 718 Boxster EV.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Doubtful unless you plan on keeping your Taycan beyond 2028. Battery tech won't evolve that quickly and requires stringent testing.
Sure I'll go to 2028. I think battery tech will advance faster than the combustion engine did in the last 100 years. Similar to computer advancement speed.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The obsolescence argument is nonsense. Who are we competing with? Who cares if battery range increases 3x? How does that change anything related to whether my car is useful to me? And other than battery range/life, what else is there in a Taycan that's going to magically advance so much as to render the existing platform 'obsolete'?

Oh and someone please tell Carrera GT owners that their 18 year old cars are obsolete so I can buy one.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sure I'll go to 2028. I think battery tech will advance faster than the combustion engine did in the last 100 years. Similar to computer advancement speed.
I tend to agree in general, but it really hasn't in the last 25, so there's really nothing to base that assumption on. Real world battery improvements have been relatively slow, even during the last five years, and while there is a lot of money being throw at research, there are still long term challenges that need to be overcome. It will change for sure, but I'll believe big leaps when I actually see them.

Remember, the Mission E was designed and released seven years ago and the specs they announced then are basically identical to what they're selling in 2022 (actually slightly lower range than they originally claimed).

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Released in 2019

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
People keep saying that, but I've yet to see a single EV rendered obsolete by technological evolution, and they've been widely available for more than a decade now.
the operative word is FUNCTIONALLY. my 2013 RWD tesla model S was rendered functionally obsolete when tesla introduced both a AWD version and AP1 which was a game changer.

JuTheKi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 2022, RR P400e LWB 2018 "fully loaded"
Country flag
I'm curious to see how Forum members respond to this question, as one who is planning to special-order a CT4.
I'm interested in both people who have a Taycan now or those who (like me) have ordered one or plan to order one.
My plan is to keep it for roughly 8 years (assuming no big problems)...
Thanks!
The reason for me to buy new with all extras I want is long ownership. 5-6 years easy, maybe much longer.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I voted >8 years and plan on keeping it long term unless something concerning comes up before the battery and CPO warranty expire. It's currently our weekend family/fun car and can be moved to a daily driver if needed. I have a 'fun car' slot for passing interests.

CygnusX-1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I've had my Tesla Model S for 8.5 years. I won't keep another electric car beyond the battery warranty. So, I'll keep the Taycan for 4 years.
Sponsored