How long are you planning to keep your Taycan?

How long are you planning to keep your Taycan?

• Total voters

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am an old bloke used to having a sports car but had decided it was time to get something comfortable and quiet with a good turn of speed when I wanted and space for grandchildren from time to time.
The Taycan CT was perfect in those respects and on the sort of roads around here even the 4S only could use full throttle for a few seconds at a time so the Turbo and Turbo S would be a waste of money.
It I like it it will probably be my last car.
Sponsored

jijitalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD-ASTON DB9-DB11-CooperS-BM530e
Country flag
Re the keeping time, I have experienced PHEV & EV ... and conclusion is that you are really brave if you wanna keep it more than 3 or 4 years . Porsche are good car never the less... BUT Batteries reliability still sucks. I have 8 years warranty on battery packs in my PHEVs for example ... so you buy with confidence at first sight .... then after a year & few 8000 Km 30 % less capacity ! But you still confident because of the warranty right ? Then ... disappointment comes ... the garage first tells you that it is fine, then 3rd or 4th time back in the service center , and a nice tech guy advice you to take a lawyer to write a complaint at the Main office to try to get a full batt pack replacement .... Of course you have warranty but it is a pain in the *ss to deal with it as soon as you need it - whatever the brand (BMW , Mercedes, Mitsubishi just to speak abt then one i experienced)... The important point here is tho know that the longest you keep your toy , the hardest it will be to manage & use the given warranty (talking about batteries, and charger & all surounding elements etc... ) don't forget also that to change batt pack is abt 30% to 40% price tag ' car :whew::angry:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
So your 2013 stopped working when they offered those new features? The car clearly wasn't functionally obsolete to everyone, just to you for your intended use.

Definition of functional obsolescence:
The reduction of an object's usefulness or desirability because of an outdated design feature that cannot be easily changed or updated.

So RWD Teslas became less useful or desirable? Don't tell that to all the folks buying RWD Taycans.
you just love to be combative.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
but if the Leaf aftermarket is any indication, there will be interesting replacements and upgrades.
the leaf is not really a good example. the early batteries were severely flawed and because of the tech they used the batteries suffered extreme degradation. they had to change their batteries chemistry. there is no upgrading for those very flawed 2012-2013 cars.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Re the keeping time, I have experienced PHEV & EV ... and conclusion is that you are really brave if you wanna keep it more than 3 or 4 years . Porsche are good car never the less... BUT Batteries reliability still sucks. I have 8 years warranty on battery packs in my PHEVs for example ... so you buy with confidence at first sight .... then after a year & few 8000 Km 30 % less capacity ! But you still confident because of the warranty right ? Then ... disappointment comes ... the garage first tells you that it is fine, then 3rd or 4th time back in the service center , and a nice tech guy advice you to take a lawyer to write a complaint at the Main office to try to get a full batt pack replacement .... Of course you have warranty but it is a pain in the *ss to deal with it as soon as you need it - whatever the brand (BMW , Mercedes, Mitsubishi just to speak abt then one i experienced)... The important point here is tho know that the longest you keep your toy , the hardest it will be to manage & use the given warranty (talking about batteries, and charger & all surounding elements etc... ) don't forget also that to change batt pack is abt 30% to 40% price tag ' car :whew::angry:
I bought a Prius in 2005 for technical reasons. I liked it and my daughter still uses it 17 years later. It is still on its original hybrid fraction battery but has gone through several 12V accessory batteries. We also have 10 and 4 year old PHEV Prius’ the 10 year old one has lost about 10% of its original electric range, the 4 year old one still as good as new.
I don’t expect Porsche to be as expensively developed as Toyota since the production volume is so low but I do hope…

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I'm also skeptical as to whether we'll see a production version of any truly "next generation" battery tech (such as from quantumscape) within 8-10 years. What will be much more relevant and useful is the continued rollout of DC fast charging stations along with better reliability of those stations. That will something that you'll benefit from even if you buy a Taycan today and hold onto it. Once we do have more reliable and wide spread fast charging, range will become less of a concern as well. Rather than offering a 500+ mile range at some point, i'd prefer Porsche use a smaller/lighter battery and just keep the range where it currently is.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And you love to make dopey comments and then get defensive when somebody calls you on it. Maybe you need a safer space.
dopey?
are you really trying to say that the introduction of a game changing AP1 system and the introduction of dual motor AWD didn't doom the resale values of older teslas? obtuse?

like I said when those features became it rendered the earlier models to be FUNCTIONALLY OBSOLETE.
I know that I immediately traded by beloved early tesla in for a better equipped car.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
dopey? the advent of AP1 and RWD didn't doom the resale values of older teslas? like I said when those features came out it rendered the earlier models to be FUNCTIONALLY OBSOLETE.
I'd just point out that neither of those features are EV specific. Any car model evolves over time with new features and tech that aren't retrofittable older versions. If having the "latest and greatest" is a big concern, yes, you'll probably want to lease or trade in your car every couple of years regardless of what kind of car you're interested in.

Personally, I dont' worry too much about being surprised by new developments; it's generally pretty easy to research and make an educated guess as to what features might be coming in the next few years for any car model. I remember looking at the model S when it came out and being surprised that it lacked some basic features expected at that price- such as adaptive cruise control. I assumed they'd add it eventually and they did. Surprisigly, Tesla still lacks some tech features that other automakers have had for years such as heads up displays or surround view cameras.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
dopey?
are you really trying to say that the introduction of a game changing AP1 system and the introduction of dual motor AWD didn't doom the resale values of older teslas? obtuse?

like I said when those features became it rendered the earlier models to be FUNCTIONALLY OBSOLETE.
I know that I immediately traded by beloved early tesla in for a better equipped car.
In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya...

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I'd just point out that neither of those features are EV specific. Any car model evolves over time with new features and tech that aren't retrofittable older versions. If having the "latest and greatest" is a big concern, yes, you'll probably want to lease or trade in your car every couple of years regardless of what kind of car you're interested in.

Personally, I dont' worry too much about being surprised by new developments; it's generally pretty easy to research and make an educated guess as to what features might be coming in the next few years for any car model. I remember looking at the model S when it came out and being surprised that it lacked some basic features expected at that price- such as adaptive cruise control. I assumed they'd add it eventually and they did. Surprisigly, Tesla still lacks some tech features that other automakers have had for years such as heads up displays or surround view cameras.
Our Taycans may flip overnight from advanced-tech frontier cars to adorable classics one day. In both cases there is something to love…

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
The car is pretty perfect now, so don't want to sell.
Also, what would I buy then?

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2023 XC90 PHEV, 2022 Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Thinking 3-4 years just because I’m afraid of taking a Porsche out of the 4 year/50k mile warranty considering the expensive parts. But if there’s some reliable/reasonable extended warranty out there I’d be up for keeping it until the battery warranty.

*Ive had TWO Tesla batteries die on me before so I’m not playing the “out of warranty” game with the battery.
Good news: your Taycan actually has an eight year 100,000 mile warranty for the battery.
Sponsored