How long is the wait before lock in date?

PythonCoder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Hello everyone,
I'm new to Porsche and just ordered a Taycan RWD in the end of June in the US.
Dealership told me it would be around end of year for the car delivery.
They will get back to me once they have the lock in date.
After the credit check and I gave them my custom build code, the wait begins, I didn't get any confirmation document about my order, is this normal?
As a first time buyer I'm wondering at what stage I will hear back about updates or the tracking for TYD.
Can anyone share some experience and advice about my current situation?
Should I reach out for anything? or I just need to sleep well and wait :)
Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you so much!
Sponsored

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
Hello everyone,
After the credit check and I gave them my custom build code, the wait begins, I didn't get any confirmation document about my order, is this normal?
As a first time buyer I'm wondering at what stage I will hear back about updates or the tracking for TYD.
Based on my two previous Porsche purchases:
1. Commission number issued with my deposit. This tells you the dealer has an allocation( a slot for production from Porsche).
2. Within 48-72 hours you would receive an e mail from Porsche enabling you to track your Car. This is called Track Your Dream.
Just be aware some people on this Forum have reported giving a Deposit and not getting an Allocation for 3-6 months.
Whether you get a Commission number tomorrow or in 3 months only matters in that you could order from any dealer in the U.S. unless you have a relationship with that dealer. But since you said you were new to Porsche I presume that is not the case.

OP
OP

PythonCoder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Based on my two previous Porsche purchases:
1. Commission number issued with my deposit. This tells you the dealer has an allocation( a slot for production from Porsche).
2. Within 48-72 hours you would receive an e mail from Porsche enabling you to track your Car. This is called Track Your Dream.
Just be aware some people on this Forum have reported giving a Deposit and not getting an Allocation for 3-6 months.
Whether you get a Commission number tomorrow or in 3 months only matters in that you could order from any dealer in the U.S. unless you have a relationship with that dealer. But since you said you were new to Porsche I presume that is not the case.
Thank you for the information. I did put down my deposit. And it's been over a month without the commission number. So I guess I'm probably in the case of dealer not getting allocations.
I placed the order with this dealer because all of the dealer around my area gave similar timeline of wait and this one offers the best discount.
In this case does it mean I'll have to wait for the allocation?

Last edited:

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
Thank you for the information. I did put down my deposit. And it's been over a month without the commission number. So I guess I'm probably in the case of dealer not getting allocations..
So contact a few other dealers. I just ordered two weeks ago and was able to get a Nov build. I did have to call a few Dealers. Your deposit in most states is refundable. Obviously check first.

Y1BDB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, CT4S
Country flag
It's up to you if you want to wait but it sounds like the dealer doesn't have an allocation. I wouldn't give a deposit until they have a commission number to give me. I would imagine they would try harder to get one if it means a sale. They could try to dealer swap or bug PCNA.

RPTRXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7 / Taycan CT4 / Model X (ordered)
Country flag
So contact a few other dealers. I just ordered two weeks ago and was able to get a Nov build. I did have to call a few Dealers. Your deposit in most states is refundable. Obviously check first.
We’re you able to get anything off MSRP?

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
We’re you able to get anything off MSRP?
$1,000-more of a repeat customer discount. It was just done based on previous business. I called other Dealers and no one had any Allocations. I think it will be a while until dealers discount the CT. I think the Car will be more popular than Porsche originally predicted.

RPTRXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$1,000-more of a repeat customer discount. It was just done based on previous business. I called other Dealers and no one had any Allocations. I think it will be a while until dealers discount the CT. I think the Car will be more popular than Porsche originally predicted.
I ended up not getting any discount but I did get a November build, so I guess that's something.

farazkhu2

First Name
Fa Fa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750i, Taycan
Country flag
I was told that my deposit is non refundable. They mentioned for custom builds, you have to pay 10%. Interesting...

RPTRXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was told that my deposit is non refundable. They mentioned for custom builds, you have to pay 10%. Interesting...
$2500 for me. I'm pretty sure its non-refundable but I should check. I'm in California.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I paid 20% as deposit for my build.
it’s refundable when the car is sold to another customer.
when i asked how they are going to sell undelivered car, no answer….so after being rescheduled five times, I can only wait for some new delivery date (no answers for more than a week).
it’s really frustrating & unprofessional behaviour.

Elizog

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 430ix
Country flag
Thank you for the information. I did put down my deposit. And it's been over a month without the commission number. So I guess I'm probably in the case of dealer not getting allocations.
I placed the order with this dealer because all of the dealer around my area gave similar timeline of wait and this one offers the best discount.
In this case does it mean I'll have to wait for the allocation?
Hello everyone,
I just ordered a cross turismo, expecting delivery next spring. The sedan has a December timeframe for my dealer. No down payment till I get a build date and it is fully refundable at any time.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello everyone,
this is normal in the sense that you are waiting on your dealer to get a build slot from Porsche and then to give that to you instead of someone else on their waiting list.

you don’t have an order, you have a wait list position.

You can ask your SA for an update. I wouldn’t pester them weekly, but the end of June was a while ago. They should be able to give you a rough ETA on an allocation.

if you don’t like their answer, then your options depend a bit on where you are and your willingness to order nationally. I’m left with the impression that taycan allocations are easier to get in oil country than silicon valley…. But you can call around to other nearby local dealers first and see if someone else will pull you off the waitlist sooner.

keep in mind, global pandemic. car buying is a shit shown industry wide now. Not that Porsche dealers were really ever fun to work with …
Sponsored